August 20th, 2009 by Dr. Phil

A Page Torn from the "Duh" Journal

aIt probably won’t come as any surprise to you that I get absolutely flooded with “scientific” studies from friends, colleagues, researchers and even some of you viewers with a great sense of humor, who believe you have uncovered new insights to human behavior — or at least like a good yuk-yuk moment. I love getting these.

Sometimes I’m thinking, “Jeez, this must be our tax dollars at work!” Somebody, probably you and me, is likely funding some of this “research!” Anyway, I thought I would clear a bit of my inbox. Who knows, maybe there is something here you really didn’t know. If so, you are either a guy with a football where your brain is supposed to be (I swear, I get that way this time of year!) and would be out of your emotional depth in a street puddle, or have been in a coma for a few decades. Anyway, enough smarty-pants remarks. Here’s the current crop with a few observations (more smarty-pants remarks).

1. The number one thing women lie about to their partner is whether or not they are attracted to another man.
Big surprise, huh? I thought it would be about how they voted on “American Idol” or if they had really changed the oil in the pickup truck. And I’m guessing — oh, just really guessing here — that men aren’t exactly fessin’ up to finding another woman attractive, either. Think about it: It’s not exactly a good way to start off the day; with hubby telling the missus over breakfast about the hot new woman at work.

2. Marriage helps people cope with depression.
Unless, of course, your mate is the cause of it. I guess misery enjoys company.

3. Having a TV set in your bedroom decreases your love life by 50 percent.
Well, that’s why I’m on daytime TV. But, no shock there. I’m guessing that looking at my good buddy David Letterman chatting up Paul Shaffer isn’t putting anyone in the mood. On top of that, I guess your relationship is kind of in trouble when the three words you say most often to your spouse in bed are, “Where’s the remote?”

4. Couples who schedule occasional “date nights” have stronger relationships.
With, of course, the caveat that the date is with each other,  this is, of course, about scheduling time for each other, which could, God forbid, mean turning off the BlackBerry or actually telling the kids “no.”

5. Men gossip as much as women.
I think they must have taken that survey in a bar or locker room. Of course, we don’t call it gossip. We say it’s “inside information.”

6. Alcohol consumption is more detrimental to women than men.
I think a lot of women can take a good look at who they are sitting on the couch with and confirm that without a survey.

zzz7. Doing small favors in a relationship like the dishes, walking the dog may improve the relationship more than doing big things …
… Like doing the dishes and walking the dog.

8. Men more than women tend to lie about the number of romantic partners they have had.
Talk about stating the obvious. Did we really need to do a survey to learn that? On the other hand, you wouldn’t stop and eat at a truck stop if you were the only car in the parking lot! I mean, maybe it would be painful to think you were apparently the only person on the globe who was willing to have sex with this guy!

9. Married men live longer than single men.
Married men are, however, more willing to die! Ha! Just kidding … I kid.

I’ll keep them coming. And if you happen to see something that I might appreciate, send it on. At the least, it makes for a good laugh, if not a revelation.

40 Responses to “A Page Torn from the "Duh" Journal”

1. Linda says:

That was a lot of veeeery important “knowledge”. By the way I wish you a happy birthday tomorrow!

2. Katie says:

Just have something to say about #1…. I try to be honest all the time, especially with my husband. But I truly am not looking at other men, so have never lied about that to my husband. The only time I lie is when I say, “I’m ok” or “It’s fine” when it really isn’t. Because I know that whatever is upsetting me is just plain stupid so I just keep it to myself.
    But Dr. Phil, I love you comments on all of them. Good way to start my day is with a smile and these did it!

3. FosterBoys says:

Do you still believe that women find it sexy when men do chores and other “little” things around the house or have you seen the error of your ways? To be fair, you were onto something there, but just missed it by a couple of incorrect assumptions regarding a woman’s intelligence.

4. Marianne Sanders says:

Do people who schedule date nights have stronger relationships BECAUSE they schedule the date nights or do they schedule the date nights because they have a better relationship to start with? Also – why shouldn’t someone lie about the number of relationships they had in the past? Who the heck wants the truth? And why is it anyone’s business – even a spouse? I sure don’t want to know how many women my husband slept with before we met – it doesn’t matter – it’s past and he’s been totally faithful to me as I have been to him in our 24 years together. As to whether or not women find it “sexy” when a guy does chores like dishes – I don’t find it sexy – but I get pretty annoyed when they don’t and it becomes a real problem…….it would be a deal breaker with anyone I wasn’t married to……

The depression stuff? I don’t know – but what I DO know is having had a very strong marriage through some incredibly tough times has made the tough times MUCH easier to deal with. Including having had a child with a life-threatening medical condition – an enormous arachnoid cyst. And sharing the upsides? Fabulous!

5. JPROPS says:

This is relationship 101 for the emotionally and cognitively challenged. Have to agree that if this is ‘news to you’, you probably ought to be single and the fact that our tax dollars fund research into the obvious is a bit of a worry!

I don’t know that I necessarily agree with (8) though. My experience has been quite the opposite because men tend to think of high numbers as ‘bragging rights’ and women tend to think ‘he’s going to think I’m a s***, I better lower my numbers’.

6. Gunna Sveins says:

Drinking sure is more damaging to women then men….!!! Spot on!

7. Yep definatly from the “DUH” files, but your responces started my day off with a good laugh. And I agree, did we really need to spend time and money on a “servay” to figure this stuff out, but then I did read an obit for common sence not too long ago.

I bet the next servay will tell us that men in relationships get more sex than single men. I know another duh, but it fits with the ones here. :)

Looking forward to the new show season

Dave

8. A Professor from a Religious University on Sabbatical at University of Oklahoma told me that men participate in a phenomenon called, and I quote, “Planned Incompetency.” If gets incorrect things shopping or doesn’t do household chores well or doesn’t do anything well men don’t want to do. Leaves time for more important things like watching football while women go on and do it so don’t have to redo it correctly.

However, before any women run for the hills to not have to do it all. Chores follow you and you will find you still have to do all those chores for yourself. Men have their many pluses as do we if blessed with a fella that does automotive, lawn and handy man tweaking. Many women may not have planned not to do yet just haven’t plan to learn how to do “masculine” chores either.

I use to do it all including change the oil, mow and wash car. I am one of those that think men helping with cooking and chores fun. I’ve seen too that men think cute when women like to help with car and yard… Actually, should be part of school curriculum learning both heretofore “gender specific” chores traditions. After seeing @DrPhil tweet on twitter bout teens & tweens on “duh” dance floor… if I had a daughter she’d be taking Karate, too.

Dr. Phil, is that true you had Robin ride in car trunk in Denton, TX, to figure out where a noise in your car was coming from? OMG! What were you thinking? J/K I know true since in Robin’s book “Inside My Heart.” Y’all are a precious couple because that gift you got for Robin with the clues to find a priceless memory as many more y’all have made and shared.

Oh, btw: like, what male public service organization spread propaganda that women love to shop??? Not to sound like Steve Martin well, yes, “EXCUSE ME!” I guess guys see that backfired when get credit card bill although men “know how easy it is to say charge it,” too. And who knew waiting to the last minute to get gifts you get some of the best deals during Holidays? K. Men. I heard the complementing male bumper sticker to BORN TO SHOP is BORN TO FLOP on sofa during football season for men you spoke of.

I’m breaking out of politically correct box with my toilet brush scepter. This “domestic goddess” is no longer drawing in the lines of her grocery list. I need a flight plan for an “Ultimate Makeover” not to the grocery store. I’m not just having a “Calgon take me away” moment… Please Dr. Phil… I need a head to toe tweaking of the “Ultimate Makeover” kind. Oh well, “they” say it never hurts to ask… I hope “they” are right this time. Sincerely, SEA

9. IDK… I need an edit option… BORN TO PLOP sounds cuter and better both… for a complementing male bumper sticker to BORN TO SHOP. Sincerely, SEA

10. F.D says:

# 1 I thought it would be money or purchases.

I knew the rest, or they were common sense, but would #2 and #9 be linked anyway hmmmm. I can’t believe people where paid to undertake these research when the answers are common sense. I’m betting that a woman did the research survey on #5

I got this in an email from a friend the other day. See there should be more research on some of this stuff. Random thoughts. I think someone could write a book on random thoughts. We’ll all buy it because we all thought it.

- Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realise you’re wrong.
    - I don’t understand the purpose of the line, “I don’t need to drink to have fun.” Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they’ve invented the lighter?
    - I totally take back all those times I didn’t want to nap when I was younger.
    - Is it just me, or are 80% of the people in the “people you may know” feature on Facebook people that I do know, but I deliberately choose not to be friends with?
    - Do you remember when you were a kid, playing Nintendo and it wouldn’t work? You take the cartridge out, blow in it and that would magically fix the problem. Every kid did that, but how did we all know how to fix the problem? There was no internet or message boards or FAQ’s. We just figured it out. Today’s kids are soft.
    - There is a great need for sarcasm font.
    - Sometimes, I’ll watch a movie that I watched when I was younger and suddenly realise I had no idea what the f*** was going on when I first saw it.
    - How the hell are you supposed to fold a fitted sheet?
    - I would rather try to carry 10 plastic grocery bags in each hand than take 2 trips to bring my groceries in.
    - I think part of a best friend’s job should be to immediately clear your computer history if you die.
    - LOL has gone from meaning, “laugh out loud” to “I have nothing else to say”.
    - Whenever someone says “I’m not book smart, but I’m street smart”, all I hear is “I’m not real smart, but I’m imaginary smart”.
    - How many times is it appropriate to say “What?” before you just nod and smile because you still didn’t hear what they said?
    - While driving yesterday I saw a banana peel in the road and instinctively swerved to avoid it…thanks Mario Kart.
    - I find it hard to believe there are actually people who get in the shower first and THEN turn on the water.
    - Shirts get dirty. Underwear gets dirty. Pants? Pants never get dirty, and you can wear them forever.
    - I can’t remember the last time I wasn’t at least kind of tired.
    - Bad decisions make good stories.
    - You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you’ve made up your mind that you just aren’t doing anything productive for the rest of the day.
    - There’s no worse feeling than that millisecond you’re sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far.
    - I’m always slightly terrified when I exit out of Word and it asks me if I want to save any changes to my ten page research paper that I swear I did not make any changes to.
    - “Do not machine wash or tumble dry” means I will never wash this ever.
    - I hate when I just miss a call by the last ring (Hello? Hello? Dammit!), but when I immediately call back, it rings nine times and goes to voicemail. What’d you do after I didn’t answer? Drop the phone and run away?
    - Why is a school zone 25 km/h? That seems like the optimal cruising speed for paedophiles…
    - As a driver I hate pedestrians and as a pedestrian I hate drivers, but no matter what the mode of transportation, I always hate cyclists.
    - Sometimes I’ll look down at my watch 3 consecutive times and still not know what time it is.
    - I keep some people’s phone numbers in my phone just so I know not to answer when they call.
    - I wonder if cops ever get pissed off at the fact that everyone they drive behind obeys the speed limit.
    - I think the freezer deserves a light as well.

11. Blgspc says:

F. D.

You made my sides hurt!!!!

BG :-D

12. Blgspc says:

That #2 just had me rolling on the floor!- ‘Marriage helps people cope with depression.’ YEAH! If they are BOTH drug reps with big pharmaceutical companies that produce antidepressants and they dose each other regularly! That might work!

Oh! Dr. Phil, you forgot #10 ‘Working Night Duty takes 10 years off your life.’
    The 25th time my twin sister told me that one I just said, “Really?! Then, I suppose that it’s a GOOD thing I never made any formal plans for that time, huh?” I then added, “Hey, have you heard the one about quoting TOO MANY reports CAN damage close relationships?”
    My twin then called me an “Evil Nut”! And, she would know because we are DNA identical!

BG :-)

13. Joyce Long says:

These were great and had me actually laughing not only at the post but some of the comments. I especially enjoyed number 2.

14. Kristin Abbott says:

LOL – Love #3, I’ve had a no TV rule in the bedroom for a long time. Granted as now that I’m getting older I may rethink that rule.
    Course, like this post and honestly a big portion of you show, it’s common sense. Didn’t you say you were bringing that back? From my local news it ain’t happening here in Orlando.

15. dry09 says:

Don’t care much for surveys. They tend to be sponsored for a particular bias.

I have one for you, Dr. Phil. Most men take a loooong time to mature (if they ever), and, married or not, they love to be pampered and taken care of by their ladies. That’s why ladies do more in a household than men, and if they have children, they add the husband as another child. Ladies like to be pampered and pay attention too, but not as much as men. True or false? Personal survey from my circle of friends that costs taxpayers zilch.

I find my husband sexy when he’s kind, sweet, respectful & loving to me ALL THE TIME, not just when he wants to (because he wants you know what).

16. Toni says:

Thanks for the laugh! And yes, men doing household chores IS sexy, indirectly that is. You see, he helps out, you “hear” in those actions “I love you and care about you” so you feel “in love” with your caring man and are thus more open to his sexy advances – it’s all love ;-)
    Happy Spring Day to all in the Southern Hemisphere!!!

17. Wendy says:

I think everything F.D. said, should be in a book !! I love the how many times do you say, what? to a question. I am deaf in one ear, and this is a problem for me. Great insite !

18. FosterBoys says:

I do not become filled with lust when my husband helps around the house. However, I like to PUT THE DOTS AS CLOSE TOGETHER AS POSSIBLE for him. You give me what I want, I give you what you want.

19. Maureen says:

I love reading the science. In fact since I first discovered Darwin (Origin of Species) and Desmond Morris (The Naked Ape) I have been fascinated at how we evolved and how we behave. The why is the mystery. I have my own theory –

Devolution.

Anthropologists having learned a lot about the human condition
    See clearly that Evolution has always granted the male an exalted position
    But survival of the species is not just about he who is the fittest
    Thankfully it is also about she who is the quick wittest

Times of physical danger the male can handle with ease
    With the ever flexible options of fight, flight or freeze
    It is when confronted with emotional conflict they would prefer to die
    To escape they resort to the senseless defense of a transparent lie

Respect and integrity be damned
    Might as well be sheeped as lambed
    They always take the chance because they think they won’t get caught
    This selfish arrogance is what makes the female overwrought

Males just don’t get it and refuse to comprehend
    What actually signals the beginning of the end
    Isn’t when the female gets mad
    It’s when she gets sad

20. sharon says:

Dear Phil,

Happy Birthday to you!! You don’t look a day over 59! (that’s because you’re not – till tomorrow) ha! ;) Just kidding with ya, I hope this is your best year yet. I know I tell you a lot but thanks for yours & Robin’s prayers for me…I’ve been experiencing a marked difference since, more each day, and I know it’s a big reason why. You’re all in my prayers now every day too. I thank God for you and celebrate your life today. I pray that He daily renews your strength and your youth like the eagle’s. Keep laughing and going strong. God bless you, Phil. :)

sharon

P.S. Those are funny. Women prefer to have another name for gossip too, just as you men do: it’s called female “bonding”. ;) jk.

P.S.S. I appreciated the info about sleeping, on today’s show. I often can’t sleep, esp this past year, so it was helpful. I have a sound machine, because I’ve always liked the sound of ocean waves, so sometimes that’s worked for me.

21. To Dr. Phil in Twitter Speak…

@DrPhil will U please kick my gallbladder to “duh” curb via a head to toe, inside and out “Ultimate Makeover”: teeth, eyes, knees, etc. tweaked and “duh” ultimate works.
    THANK YOU.

Sincerely,
    SEA

N.B. Y’all have a GREAT time in NYC.

22. Mahmooda says:

Hello Dr. Phil,

This was a very nice piece. I laughed out loud while reading “2. Marriage helps people cope with depression.” and the afterward comment “Unless, of course, your mate is the cause of it.” My marriage of almost five years had caused me to be depressed constantly. I have had many coping mechanism, from spending excessively to trying to go back to school to finding a job (I am a stay-at-home-mom) to meditation. Really, what do you do if your partner is causing you to be miserable?

23. Michelle says:

great bit on the lighter side of life…although I seem to remember some comment in one my college classes that this kinds of studies are carried out because sometimes the answers are not intitutive or what we expect to be true. I suppose that fact may ease the strain on the wallet. I do always wonder who is so determined to get these studies started and how the get them funded. I mean to say who wakes up in the morning and says ya know I just have a need to research whether men drink more than woman…I just have to know…I won’t sleep another wink until I do.

24. Pam says:

Here’s a study I know someone has done or should do…

Wives agree that they are 95% happier with their husband and more likely to be intimate when his mother is out of town :)

25. bev says:

why is it so difficult to get across to kids / teenagers that what you post online my be seen by potential employers not just their family and friends? They seem to think that just because they chose their profile to be available to certain people that it is safe to post what ever they want.

26. Lynda says:

How about writing a book for husbands? You seem to have great advice for husbands on your shows. Something like “the inside scoop on marriage” ….

27. Rita Lions says:

My answers to surveys
    1) Its because men like to think they are the catch of a life time
    2) Depression: My fathers love for my mother after forty years of marriage
    Mother: “You never say you love me!”
    Father: Come on sweetie, you know when we got married I told you that I will love you through sickness and health, through thick and thin, richer or poorer, till death do us part. And I’ve kept my word up til this day haven’t I? When you were rich, thin and healthy I loved you then and now that you’re poor, thick and sick I still love you. I kept my word… have forgotten already?
    3) Can you imagine all the teenagers throwing out there TVs to improve their love life by 50%
    4) Compulsory dating? send the kids to grandmas for the weekend and hide the blackberry LOL
    5) What happens in the locker room stays in the locker room right? That got leaked out by a man no doubt!
    6) Because it men’s attempt to keep the alcohol for themselves!
    7) Running a corporate business is not as hard as doing the dishes and walking the dog.
    8) I would never have picked that.
    9) Its another way of showing how much they appreciate the woman
    Thankyou for the laugh

28. Jana says:

That was a good laugh, but some things in the survey sound right.

As far as why men cheat on their wives with these women: it probably is this, some guys are disasitisfied with their marriages, but what about the other half who enjoy being married, and who love stringing somebody else along.

I mean the married people who go to bars or other social gatherings and pick up other people just to spice up their marriage.

Why haven’t we heard of this situation where this happens to the Other Woman (or Other Man)?

I would really like to hear about this on another show.

29. Samantha says:

I watched your show today about the ‘other woman’. All I can say and I can say this honestly and with my own personal experience to back it up. And that is, when affection is not a part of marriage than husband or wife may stray. You can count on it!! It has happened in my marriage. Men and women who stray are looking for affection. I bet if you did some more research you would find that nearly all affairs are emotional and not about the sex. Sex is a perk, even if it isn’t all that great.

30. Samantha says:

One more thing….both husband and wife have to accept accountability when an affair occurs.

31. carol says:

Your show in the other women?? They do not realize the pain they cause in marriages, and the family who are left to pick up the what left. Family suffer for years after the other women? and marriages are over due to a affair. The years do not make it easier as the children and wife still suffer as a split family. I know my ex left us 20 years and we still suffer…my kids have turned out good and both have master degrees, but they still suffer emotionally. We were and are still a Catholic family but still hurt. I hope the almighty has NO mercy for people who break up marriages…men and women!!

32. Ken Simmons says:

Sir: For my grand parents marriage was simply to create a space where one could have and raise children. For my Mom and Dad it was the same but they actually liked each other. For me and much of my generation it is not only for the option of children but self expression, personal gratification, personal sucess, and the most important thing about it was to love honor and trust. Because our expectations have changed so much marriage too must change. Marriage it self & what is realistic and mutual expectation needs redefination. Better understanding will make for a whole lot less cheating. When I got married I was better prepared to that day go split an atom than to be husband, father, lover, and life partner.

33. VICKIE GELVIN says:

I just watched your show on Infidelity. I, too, was one of those women that was helping out the wife . WOMEN, TAKE CARE OF YOUR MAN SO WE DON’T HAVE TOO – We are looking for one of our own.
    Women, make your husband feel special. When was the last time you met him at the door and said hi honey, how was your day? I did that to HIM !! He said his wife never did.
    When was the last time you had a bubble bath with him with candles and a glass of wine or in the hot tub with him? When was the last time you rubbed his back and lower and got him in the mood? Put a love note in his briefcase that you will be waiting for him later. Put posty notes all the way from the doorway he enters when he gets home from work to the bedroom where he changes clothes. Make them sensual – Love him ! Treat him like you are dating not married. If you treat him like the wedding night you won’t need to worry about him cheating on you………….

34. CYNTHIA says:

TONIGHT SHOW WAS VERY GOOD AND GAVE US AS MARRIED WEMAN SOME IN SITE ON WHY OUR HUSBANDS CHEAT. FIRST AND FOR MOST IT IS NOT OUR FAUGHT PERIOD. WE DID NOTHAN AND ALL THE LIES THEY MAKE UP AND EXCUSS AS TO WHY THEY CHEAT. SHE GAIN WEIGHT, WE DONT GO OUT ANY MORE, SHE DOENT LAUGH AT YOUR STUPID JOKES ANY MORE. i FEEL THAT ITS BOTH OUR DUTIE TO KEEP THE MARRIAGE A LIVE. AND ITS NOT THE OTHER WOMAN FAUGHT IF A MAN LIES TO THEM IN THE BEGINING BUT SOME TIMES BY THE TIME SHE FIND OUT SHE REALLY LIKE OR EVEN LOVE THIS MAN. SO LADIES LET US DO OUR PART KEEP OURSELFS UP EXERCISE, LOSE WEIGHT, KEEP OUR HAIR DONE,AND LOOKING GOOD. BECAUSE IF YOU DONT THE LITTLE ,SMELL GOOD,HIGH HILL,GIRL MAY GET OUR HUSBAND EYE. BUT IF A MAN IS A DOG AND IT IN HIS NATURE TO CHEAT LIKE THE MAN ON THE SHOW THAT WAS COMING CLEAN HE SAID HE HAD GREAT WIVES IT SEEM TO BE MORE AN ADDICTION TO CHEAT FOR HIM.AN TO THE OTHER WEMAN THAT THINK ONE DAY HE WILL BE YOURS HE WILL NEVER. HE MAY NOT BE WITH HIS WIFE ANY MORE AND WITH YOU FOR THE MOMENT BUT THE SAME WAY HE GOT YOU HE WILL ALSO CHEAT ON YOU. AND YES IT IS YOUR PAIN IF YOU KNOW A MAN IS MARRIED. SO WIVES KEEP IT UP AND EXCITING THE SAME THINGS YOU DID TO GET HIM YOU HAVE TO KEEP IT UP AND MORE IF YOU WANTED TO WORK. BUT SOME TIME NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO IF HE’S GOING TO CHEAT IT NOTHAN YOU CAN DO. AND GET RID OF HIM BECAUSE IT WILL NEVER BE THE SAME WHEN TRUST IS BROKEN.

35. Marie Bryant says:

I’m watching your show “INFIDELITY” …

What NERVE and GALL do these women have?? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? When I think of a mistress what comes to mind is MATTRESS because that’s all your being seen as. Ladies stop trying to JUSTIFY your position as a mistress…. he’s NOT leaving his family for you…..he’s NOT going to marry you and If by chance he does…the CYCLE won’t stop!! LADIES get some self esteem and STOP MAKING YOURSELF AVAILABLE to MARRIED MEN….maybe then we can stop MEN from cheating. It takes TWO to get involved….. If he’s married walk away …

36. Lesli says:

I think the women who chase the married men are stupid. They think they are doing themselves and society a favour. I don’t believe they realise that they are actually worthy of having a happy marriage. I believe these women are in denial and should keep out of other peoples’ marriages and own the pain they create.
    The African American woman who spoke that had been cheated on she was fantastic.
    Women who are approached should just kick these men in the nuts. If women didn’t “nurture” these men then this behaivour would slowly phase out.

37. Cate from Oz says:

Gosh, and I thought the number 1 thing women lied to their husbands about was how much that little black dress cost :-) It was on sale, honey, I swear it was!

38. tonya says:

im not sure were to start and if this is the place…but i could use some help…..??? im so tired of being single, i just can’t understand what is so wrong with me………….??? im actually very happy person, have things going in a good direction, i just don’t understand why god wants me to be single? im so depressed lattley…Im not fat, ugly… i own my own home, i have a great family, and great friends….i don’t have any money…lol…..but all in all i just don’t understand…. im just pathetic huh…. oh well like any of this matters just wanted to write something somewhere????

39. domestic violence quotes…

A Page Torn from the "Duh" Journal | Turning Point: The Official Dr. Phil Blog…