October 20th, 2009 by Dr. Phil

Grandpa

22As you probably know by now, we announced on Tuesday’s show that Jay and Erica are going to have a baby in March! I expected to be excited — but WOW, I am really excited!

I’m genuinely amazed and pleasantly surprised at what a significant event this is for me. It takes a lot to move the needle with me. I guess, I have learned to stay focused and take a pretty cerebral approach to life. But now, I have butterflies in my stomach at the idea of becoming a grandfather. I know this sounds a little poetic coming from me, but I am truly, profoundly moved by the march of time — by the passing of one generation to another. Our “baby” is having a baby.

I don’t know about you, but I have kind of frozen my two sons in time, to the point that I still can look at them and see them as very young boys, despite the fact that they are now 30 and 23 years of age! I know it’s a nostalgic habit, but I loved those years, which I guess is why they stick in my mind. I always think of Jay at around the age of 9 when he was constantly wearing T-shirts, his Hawaiian jams and floppy tennis shoes without laces. I think of Jordan at the age of 7 when he wore a bright red soccer jersey and kept his toys so meticulously organized in his room.

It’s pretty mind-boggling to realize that they have grown up, and are successfully building their own adult lives. And what’s especially overwhelming is that Jay will soon have his own child wearing T-shirts and Hawaiian jams! Robin and I didn’t miss a moment when the boys were growing up, and we plan to not miss a moment with the newest addition to our family. I’m sure we will be the stereotypical grandparents. We’ll completely spoil our grandchild, planning our days around him or her (we’ll know in a few weeks). I’m sure we’ll be buying way too many toys for birthdays and Christmas, and probably most days in between. Robin can’t wait to kidnap (errr, babysit) the munchkin! Jay is already just shaking his head, wondering what in the world has happened to his dear old Dad. And Jordan will be the coolest uncle ever! He loves children and is already excited about this whole idea.

14Well, it is what it is! One thing I do know with complete certainty is that Jay and Erica will be wonderful parents. They are naturally great with kids, and they are so loving and selfless in the way they live their lives. Our grandchild is in perfect and loving hands.

And then there is Maggie, the wonder dog. She has been an only child for all of her life, and now she will have scoot over for a new family addition and learn to share like a good dog!

So what do you think the new baby should call me? Log on to DrPhil.com and share your grandparent names.

In the comment section below, Virginia wrote:

Congratulations to all of you. Robin & Phil, you are entering a new chapter in your life. It’s hard to comprehend loving anyone the way you love your two sons …

Here’s my reply:

Tags: , , , ,

278 Responses to “Grandpa”

1. Jamie Jones says:

Congratulations! I’m sure that you and Robin will make awesome grandparents.

2. Congratulations Dr. Phil and Robin and to your Daughter in law and your Son, I knew it was coming and I am so happy for the both of you, all of you, soon your work will come second fiddle to your new addition to your family. You will be the best Grandparents ever, I know Robin has been waiting for this moment and when you see your Grand baby you will spoil him or her without even trying.

3. Sharon says:

Just curious on what the ultrasound showed as far as if there is just one baby or more. I didn’t get to watch The Doctors to see. I watch your show and love you both and are very happy for all of you. God is truly blessing your family!!!

4. Lois Gress says:

Congrads
    Being a grandparent is the most wonderful thing that can happen to you.
    My grandkids called my husband “poppy” He was crazy about the first one,
    but unfortunately he died young> The second one was only 9 months old and
    the relationship missed out on a lot. Just kiss them and love them a lot as I am
    sure you will both do. Enjoy!
    Lois Gress

5. Pat says:

Dr. Phil and Robin, Congratulations to both of you and to Jay and Erica. I think they will be great parents, because they were raised by the both of you with great moral values. Robin will probably be like I was and spoil and teach them manners and tell them what kind of toys she played with as a child. Many Blessings to you all.

6. Pat says:

I forgot about what our grandchildren (only 2) called us. I was just plain Granny, but we have no idea where our grandson got the name Pawee, but he is known by that to our granddaughter also.

7. Mary Jo says:

Dear Dr. Phil and Robin,

All I can say is it’s about time. You will fit the grandpa role perfectly, I mean come on Dr. Phil you look like a grandpa. Robin will be so sweet and loving what more could a baby need. Congratulations to the entire Dr. Phil Family.
    My grandkids (4) call my husband papa and they call me bobi, they could not say grandma. I do like it tho, better than grandma!

8. Donna Rock says:

Dr. PhiI:

Congrats on the pending birth of your first grandchiId! As you are weII aware, your Ife and Robin’s has changed forever. Besides…GRANDKIDS are MUCH more fun! I never understood that untiI my son Travis made me a “MEMA” of twin boys (SkyIer and Noah) who wiII be 3 on 11/13/09. I see you being a great big OIe Ioving POPPY. I can hear it now…”But POPPY”!!! May the rest of your days be spent with your heart meIting and you eye’s weIIing up at just the simpIe fact that you son created has created his on Iegacy……

9. My grandkids call me GaGa and my husband Pap-Pap. Usually it’s the first grandchild that picks out the name and then it’s your’s for ever with all the other grandkids.
    My best wishes to the both of you. You will be awsome grandparents.

10. Congraduations, I e-mailed earlier of my troubled life but so happy I came back and was reminded of Happy times to come, for you and your family. I have precious memories, the best memories in my life are those of holding my baby’s and grand babies and looking into the precious inocent sweet eyes and the love both I felt and gave. that and the sparkle in the eyes at Christmas, easter, birthdays etc. were the happiest moments of my entire life, there are no greater memories than these. I am so happy for you all and thank you for bringing me back to these wonderful memories. Rosedna

11. Tara says:

Congratulations Dr.Phil and Robin.

12. Trish says:

Congratulations to the McGraw family! My parents are Gran and Granda and my in-laws are Grandma and Grandpa. I agree with Lynne Gallegor in that the first grandchild usually picks the name and then you are stuck with it. Good Luck to all of you. I know the child will be blessed to have you all in his/her life.

13. Melody says:

Congratulations to the whole McGraw family!!! I know without a doubt everyone is excited and so you should be with a new addition coming to the family. I am so excited for you. Looking forward to the updates. Thanks for sharing.

14. Deb says:

Congratulations little “one” and all!!

I love Pop Pop and Mom Mom.
    Grandparents are “double” the fun of Moms and Dads!!

15. Diane Zeman says:

A friend of mine was going to have her 3rd child, and NOT have a baby shower. When I heard of this I had to turn to her and say my thought which was … EVERY life deserves to be celebrated! I in turn, threw her a wonderful celebration that she has forever shown gratitude for. My point is … What a wonderful thing, time, and honor to be involved and included in such a sanctimonial celebration, it truly is a gift from the heavenlies. Not to be taken for granted. I even named my vacation cabin rental after the joy and found serenity through my experiences that I had/have with my boys growing up and have made it a cherished home away from home. ~Serenity Nest~ I wish you all well.
    Names favored by me are poppy and grammie ~ God speed to all of you.

16. sheila campeau says:

Congratulations Robin and Dr. Phil, it’s so exciting being grandparents, and it doesn’t matter how many you have, they are so loveable and love you back. We have 18 ranging in age from 27 to 2. My husband passed away 3 years ago but was able to spend many years with them and they loved Grandpa. I am nana. I absolutely love your show and think you have a fabulous family. Lots of times I see myself on there and think. OH! OH! I better try harder. Thank You. Sheila

17. gina says:

Before my older grandson was born, my daughter and I talked about what he should call me. I was one of two grandmas, three great grandmas, and two great-great grandmas. How was he going to keep us all straight?

We tossed around names for months. I finally decided on grammy. My mom was going to be G-ma, for great-grandma (instead of “grandma who takes her teeth out” which was just too long.)

My mom and I used our chosen grandma names whenever we addressed our precious little boy. Didn’t matter. He decided that I was Gram (Gam in the early days), and she was Gramma Dot.

So good luck on picking your own grandparent names. Don’t be surprised if they don’t stick. Oh, and what they say about being a grandparent? It’s all true, and then some.

18. Brandy Osborn says:

Congrats to all of u. I think Pepa Phil would be a great name for u, or PP for short.

19. Pat Farmer says:

Dr. Phil you should be called Papa and Robin you should be Meme, you will soon find out that if you think you love you kids so much, the love of a grandchild is beyond words, but you will see soon.

20. Annette says:

Wow!!! That’s so exciting. I love your comments. Your grandchild is truly blessed.

21. Julie Pursell says:

Your lives will be forever changed, congradulations! There is nothing that will give you more joy than a grandchild, you can always send them home! LOL! Seriously though, You are about to begin an amazing journey, sending you all a big((((((((HUG)))))), love you all, Julie

22. Heleen says:

Congradulations! It’s fine to be a Grandparent.
    Greetz from the Netherlands.

23. Leslie Pirart says:

I am a Grandma and it is the most wonderful feeling in the world!! I am sure Robin and you will be wonderful grandparents!! Enjoy them while you can, they grow so fast!!

24. donnahammond says:

My husband`s family called they`re grandfather “GRANDPAP”. I loved it so much because it showed respect , but also the feeling of a tender and gentle friendship. I am a grandma and look a little younger than my real age, so being called Grandma in public and seeing the reaction of others is so great! I also try not to sound like an old grandma and (pretend I`m interested ) allow them to introduce me to the cool things out there! I`ts so much fun, but youngest will be 7 next week the oldest has her lisence so be sure to enjoy the time now. I take a lot of pictures, and now you can just delete the ones that dont turn out! All 5 of my grandchildren were taught basic picture taking by me! ( i`v been known to take pictures that compare with a few wedding professionals) God Bless the new beginings of the rest of your lives. Blessings for Erica`s sisters also. donna

25. carol says:

Hi Dr Phil and family

Just wanted to say congrats on the new addition to your family i have one granddaughter she is 4 months and the light of our lives my husband and i feel so blessed we never thought we would ever have kids or grandkids as we were unable to conceive but by the blessing of god we were able to adopt and now have 3 kids and 1 grand child, i think gradma and grandpa is the best name thats what you are, all the best to you and the family and you will be so happy when the baby comes love her and cherish her that is the one thing we learned is to cherish every moment you have with them

Take care

26. Jeanie says:

Becoming a grandparent is one of the most awesome experiences of life. I was fortunate enough to be in the room when my grandson was born, a memory that will be with me forever. No matter what you want your grandchild to call you, it may be the grandchild who decides. My grandson could not say “grandpa”, it came out “Pom-Pom”, which has stuck to this day and is kind of cool ’cause he’s the only “Pom-Pom” around. I much prefer “Nana” to grandma. If you think the time has gone fast since your children were born, just wait. It goes even faster with grandchildren. Treasure every moment, before you know it the new grandbaby is 8 years old and in second grade. Congratulations to the parents-to-be and grandparents-to-be!

27. judy swafford says:

wow!! you must be sooo proud you and robin are going to be great grandparents and i can`t wait to see the baby… jay and his wife are adorable … congrats!!

28. Shelia Dobish says:

Dr. Phil & Robin,

Congratulations on becoming grandparents. Being a grandparent is one of the most rewarding feelings in the world. May God bless you and your family with a beautiful, healthy baby.

Blessings,
    Shelia Dobish

29. Tricia Mahan says:

We are having a grand child in March also. A Boy – grandchildren are a true gift from God. We are blessed with 4 – ages 5, 7, 9, 11 – and now soon there will be another Blessing. Nothing in my life has compared to the feeling I get when my grandchildren play with me. Best times – at night when I put them to bed. We read a bible verse, read a story, and then “just talk” until they fall asleep. You get all the wonderful times that you experience when raising a child, without the worries. We don’t care if they eat their peas or clean up their mess, or finger paint the windows. From the time they walk in the door until they must go home, Grandpa and I play with them. I have never understood why some grandparents won’t “babysit”. It is a blessing that should not be missed. Best moment of my life: my grandson hugged me and said:
    “Mama Tricia, your are the best.”

30. Paula Barlowe aka: mightybee says:

Pa-Doc and MeMa

I know your not suppose to covet you neighbor, but since your not my neighbors I do envy yall to a certain extent. Not for your status in life but the history you have together, I think that brings true happiness. As for myself I gave up on ever having that with anybody now at this stage in my life.
    I’ve never had any children of my own, but I have a mothers heart. I have a niece that I was her “Father Figure” in life and paid child support to my sister for 16yrs until she died at the age of 44. My niece came to live with me at that time. Now she (my niece) is 30 and has a daughter that in Sept. just turned 10. She is my HEART in so many ways for so many reasons. I was called Aunt Nana until she decided to call me just Nana, and sometimes Mama. I have to admit, I do consider and call her my grandughter. Sometimes I feel guilty for that though, but enjoy it all the same.
    I think a good name for you “Dr.Phil” would be “Pa-Doc” and for Robin maybe “MeMa”. I know yall must be SO excited about the coming of the new baby. And it is a big decision on what you want your grandkids to call you. Just as it is to name them. But as long as they come to you and wrap those little arms around a leg and look up to you with love in their eyes, they could call you mudd and it wouldn’t matter. God has truely blessed you all.

pfjb aka: mightybee

31. Eleanor says:

Congratulations on the new grandchild!! I saw on the Doctors that it is a girl. Have fun, Robin. We have 9 grandchildren, 6 girls and 3 boys. All are loved in their own right. Three are adopted and one a step granddaughter but they are ALL our grandchildren. Our twin daughters lost 2- 3 babies each and that was so hard. When they did succeed in having their own and on to adoption, it made these children more precious.
    We are called Grandpa and Grandma and love every sound
    Enjoy

32. Samantha says:

I missed the ultra sound episode, but I heard today you are gonna be a grandpa to a little girl! Congratulations!! So Erica is only having one baby, but what about her sisters? Are either of them have more then one?

33. Jane says:

Congrats on your becoming grandparents!!!
    I love your show and watch everyday.
    I always called my grandfather Pappa,however for you I think that since Robin would like to be called Blosson,you should be called Bud.

34. Deloris says:

Congratulations Dr. Phil, Robin, and to your whole family. I’ve always said that children are precious gems that God has entrusted us with, and you’ve done awesome jobs with the gems He gave to you. And now you’ll get to enjoy the next step by being grandparents. I have 7 grandchildren and 1 new great-grand-daughter. My oldest grand-daughter just had her and she told me that she wanted her daughter to call her dad papaw, because she felt like every little girl need a papaw in their life. (Can you guess she was a papaw’s girl) And I’m known as mamaw. I am so happy for the both of you. You are going to be awesome grandparents, as Jay and his beautiful wife are going to make awesome parents. A little joke I was told before I became a grandparent was, “Grandchildren are God’s gift to you for not killing your kids as they were growing up”. And trust me when I tell you, as much fun as it was raising my three daughters, it was even better the time I spend with my grandchildren and my precious new great-grand-daughter. God bless all of you!!! Deloris

35. Congratulations on one of the most exciting times in your lives. It is one of the most rewarding experiences that will come into your lives. As for Robin,she is definately a Granna and you Dr.Phil are a Pappa.Whatever you decide you will love hearing it over and over.I have seven Grans and seven Greats and they are all great to me.shirley

36. Tiffani Alexander says:

Congrats to the whole family…Dr. Phil…if all the Dad’s and Papa’s in our society were half the man you are this world would truely be a better place! You nail it everytime and flat out tell it how it is! You have a beautiful family! Congrats again and blessings to the entire family! God Bless!

37. Alma says:

I love to hear them say Pa-Pa. We called my grandma Maw-Maw. You will find they will call you whatever they are able to say. What a happy time for you all. I remember it fondly. God bless!

38. Alma says:

I mean’t Paw-Paw

39. Carrie says:

PAW PAW for grandad and Lola for grandma. I just love paw paw because it’s easy for babies to say and it is really southern and Lola is the Phillipino word for grandma and it just sounds beautiful!!!

40. Nancy says:

Congratulations Dr. Phil and Robin..You will have the time of your lives being grandparents! I have three grandsons 8,6,4. They are so precious to me. The best part is you get to spoil, and then send them home! As far as what to call you? I believe it will come to you the day you see that beautiful baby! I am Grammy, and my husband is GrandBobby! he is one of the 3 grandfathers!!! I so look forward to hearing all about it! Thanks for sharing your joy.

41. Trish Miller says:

Congratulations On Your New Granbaby! Enjoy Your Time Together! As Far As A Good Name To Be Called: Pop,Pop & NaNa Are Pretty Good Or Mamaw & Papaw.

42. Susan Finneman says:

Congratulations Robin and Dr. Phil, Erica and Jay! What a fabulous time in all of your lives. I remember having my own children and how fantastic my parents were. Such rocks to hold onto!! Now, you get to be there for your son and daughter-in-law and I know you will do what all parents (or soon-to-be-grandparents) do: keep a smile on your face, your doors opened, your mouth shut and your pocketbook open! I spoil my 2 biological grandchildren and my 3 step grandchildren and make no apologies for it! They all call us Nana and Grandpa and we love it! Relish the time and every step of the way. I am sure you know how utterly fast time flies by. God Bless :)

43. Martha Kay Holden says:

Robin and Dr. Phil, You are entering a new phaze of your life that none other can equal. Babies like animals give unconditional love no matter what. Babies like animals to quote Karen Craft’s book “The Cosmic Purr” are a tangible representation of the unconditional love that surrounds you at all times: your guardian angels, your guids in Spirit, God. When you open your hearts to us and let us in, we can give you a glimmer of God’s unconditional love.” Enjoy every moment that you can as they grow faster than your own children did. Just don’t ever give up doing the Dr. Phil show. We all would truly would miss that. Many of your shows really make us all think how lucky we are to have the life we were given.
    Many smiles for your Journey that you are willing to share with us on a daily basis.

44. Rose Dilworth says:

Congratulations Dr.Phil and Robin, Erica and Jay.What an exciting time for all of you.My children called both sets of grandparents Gran and Grandpa.Enjoy every moment with your precious grandchild and any more that may be born in the future.You will both make wonderful grandparents.

45. Russell Vlaanderen. says:

Russell Said. Doctor, Erica, Jay, Jordan, Phil/Robin. I thnk that Erica/Jay will have to name a baby by themself also grandparents sure help Erica/Jay when the baby
    come next year. Ciongraution on being a grandparents themself next year. Good–
    luck Erics/Jay on having a baby. See you soon. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.
    (RussellVlaanderen@GMail.Com.)

46. Kathy Ross says:

I think Blossom is very sweet for Robyn…She is a beauty ! however Dr. Phil A bit on the Right between the eye’s sort of fella ! You know DOWN HOME with an Edge ! I think he should be called POPs,maybe spelled POPZ ! LOVE IT !!! and a BIG CONGRAT’S to a BEAUTIFUL family !!! GOD BLESS,Kathy Ross

47. Will says:

I do not think the baby bump is a bump.
    It should be called ( The Great Bubble of Life )
    You know which is more pleasent to say?
    Bubble of Life?
    Or baby bump!

48. Betty says:

Also, whatever, you and Robin call each other, grandbaby will pick up on. So if Robin, Jay and his wife call you grandpa, more than likely your grandbaby will imitate and call you the same, because that is what he is hearing.

49. Tina Conley says:

Dr.Phil and Robin I sure know how excited you must be… My Daughter is due February 26, 2010. I am so excited for my daughter and so happy to be a YOUNG mamaw. Kyleigh will be a wonderful addition to our family.

50. Russell Vlaanderen. says:

Russell Say. I think that by the time Erica have her baby in March of 2010 next y-ear. I go for it if I were you. Doctor Phil/Robin I think you a proud Grandma and—
    Grandpa aswell. Good luck Doctor Phil/Robin.Sign Rusell Vlaandern.——————————————————————————-