January 4th, 2010 by Dr. Phil

Yes, Virginia, There Are Still Sports Heroes

(AP Photo/Bill Haber)

(AP Photo/Bill Haber)

I love, and I mean love, college football. I played it, I watch it, and I follow it, but I have a feeling that a lot of you, like me, are sooo ready for all the college football bowl games to come to an end. Seriously, is there a college team this year that did not play in a bowl? And when you read about a bowl game called the San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl (I’m not making that up), you have to wonder what’s next. The Toilet Bowl?

The season finally — yes, finally! — ends this week. But before it does, I’d like to take a moment and say a fond farewell to one of the great young men in the history of the game: University of Florida quarterback Tim Tebow. Chances are, you might not know much about him other than his playing ability, but if you are a parent, he is worth a second look. This year especially, when so many headlines have been about sports stars embroiled in scandal, we should all take the time to acknowledge a real All-American hero. Tebow is exactly the kind of role model we are so in need of for our kids, who get bombarded with the glamorization of the wrong kind of attention-getters in today’s world.

And I’m not saying that simply because Tebow had such a remarkable football career that includes leading the Gators to two national titles, winning a Heisman trophy and being named a Heisman finalist two other times. At his young age, 22, and with all the responsibilities already put upon him, he takes the time — and I mean a lot of time —to help the poor and the disadvantaged. He uses his popularity to make a difference in this world, and he also inspires others, including his own coach and teammates, to make a similar difference.

The son of missionaries, Tebow inherited his parents’ religious devotion. Even if you are just a casual fan, you have probably seen him. He’s the one who always has references to scripture verses, like John 3:16, highlighted on the eye black underneath his eyes. In the offseason, he goes on missions. He speaks and prays in prisons, at hospitals and at a leper colony. He’s raised more than $300,000 for 48 orphans who live at Uncle Dick’s Home, an orphanage in a part of the Philippines so remote it has no mailing address. Taking a cue from his quarterback, Florida coach Urban Meyer and his family now take their own mission trips, and Tebow’s teammates regularly join him for charity fundraisers.

If you’ve seen Tebow play, you’ve no doubt been impressed by his fierce competitive nature. And I’m sure, judging by his Sugar Bowl performance, he’s poised to have a productive NFL career. But what I find amazing is that when he talks about the long-term future, he says his ultimate hope is that football will provide a way for him to run a charitable empire. He plans to someday open more orphanages, launch a prison ministry, open youth ranches and grant wishes to underprivileged children.

I cannot tell you how outraged I get when I read some of the snarky sportswriters and hear sportscasters who make fun of Tebow for being such a goody-two shoes guy. Come on, can’t we just celebrate someone who does it right? Have we become that ridiculously cynical as a society that the only thing that sells is scandal, to the point that parts of the media actually resent a genuinely good guy?

Please, all you parents who are looking for a role model for your children, I recommend that you introduce them to the world of Tim Tebow. He’s really a role model for all of us. I noticed for his last home game, he chose two verses from the Book of Hebrews to highlight on his eye black. The first verse said this: “Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.”

Those are great words to live by. So thank you, Tim, for all that you’ve given us. You live your life with great class and dignity. Good luck in whatever you do next.

Tags: , , ,

44 Responses to “Yes, Virginia, There Are Still Sports Heroes”

1. Jennifer Crews says:

Dr. Phil, I could not agree with you more! My husband and I are die hard Gator fans, and absolutely love Tim Tebow! He’s amazing. Like you said, he’s a great football player, but has very high standards, and high morals, which in today’s world are hard to find! I was joking around with my mother in law and told her, Tim Tebow needs to have children soon so my daughter will have a chance of dating a very respectable young man. I said that because you know he will have an amazing family, one that loves the Lord and supports in the work that he has planned for the future! :)

2. Karen says:

All I can say is…..WOW!

3. Carolyn says:

I am a sports fan. I have five children that love sports and agree that there are so many bad role models. I am not a gator fan, but I am a Tim Tebow fan. I have been watching him since his sophmore year when he won the heisman….

This is a messed up world we live in. I’m sorry, but my 15 year old son just told me that one of my daughters 17 year friends just passed away from heart failure due to obesity.

All our society does is glorify the bad and turn away from people. We need to glorify the good and help each other.

4. Gena Keszthelyi says:

All I can say is Thank you, thank you! You have written what I have been saying for months. It has upset me to hear and read the ugly things people have to say about a young man who is a great role model! I have two sons that I hope will use Tim as a role model. Again thank you for taking the time to write something positive about Tim Tebow. Gators fans will miss him but his witness will continue to touch many many more.

5. Ralph Paine says:

Our whole family are die hard Gator fans However you have to admire TiM Tebow and the entire Tebow family. Tim was raised the right way and is a true inspiration for young and old alike. There is nothing phoney about this young man. We appreciate all that he has accomplished on the field for us but we are more proud of what he has accomplished off the field. The University of Florida has been blessed by GOD twice once by Tim Tebow and previously by another great Christian Danny Wuerrful who is actively involved with Desire Street Ministry.

6. great performance in the sugar bowl, and a person of real conviction – very worthy of hero status (if we have to have sports heroes).

don’t be afraid to tell the truth, dr. phil, because the only way we can address these issues is if all the cards are on the table: it’s okay to admit that the college football season is just a poor prelude to the real sport of college basketball.

i hate to burden you with my personal problems, but would love for you to do a show on how to eliminate a jinx. this is a common problem, yet society does nothing except instill shame in the millions of jinx sufferers. my brothers declared me a sports jinx when i was very young, undoubtedly the thing that scarred me, emotionally, forever. when i entered a room, the teams we favored immediately made turnovers, or fumbled a pass. once the synchronised swimming team captain sank to the bottom of the pool and drowned.

okay, no she didn’t. but that’s the sort of horrendous thing that my mere presence might cause.

to this day, i won’t even allow myself to remain in the confines of the t.v. room proper. rather, i stand in the doorway and peek at the boob tube from a safe, unjinxed distance.

this year, with your help and guidance, and maybe a little behavior modification (y’think?), i will be able to enjoy march madness with the rest of the family. a girl can dream…

7. Chanda Fikes says:

Thank you, Dr. Phil, for seeing the things in Tim Tebow that some football fans are blind to. My husband and I graduated from Auburn University and we are die-hard Auburn Tigers! We have a 4 1/2 year old son who absolutely loves football! He’s already a true Auburn fan, but he loves Tim Tebow! And as a parent, I could not be more proud of his decision to be a Tim Tebow fan, as well! We live in Tuscaloosa, AL and if you’re a college football fan, you know what that means! It’s tough to live in the city that is the home of your greatest rival! The Bama fans (Bammers) made fun of Tebow crying after the SEC Championship game and I could hardly contain myself, but I did, because I’m the better person and want my child to be able to look at my actions and know to do the right thing. So, we’ll be rooting for Texas on Thursday night!

8. Lila M. says:

Doing good deeds and helping those who cannot help themselves is never to be made fun of. Anyone who does that out of the goodness from within is worthy of praise. I personally admire such deeds more when they just come from the heart and not from one’s religion. Role modes should never be a sports hero … or any celebrity. Let’s try for good people who love us no matter what … like parents! Or … good teachers. It bugs me that we put athletes on a pedestal, pay them money for testimonials (who believes that they REALLY use something that they get paid to praise!) and then find out they are just — people like anyone else.

9. Elizabeth says:

I LOVE this!! I am not a football fan myself, but my husbad is a huge fan of the Iowa Hawkeyes! I think it is very very rare to find a true follower of God in the world of fame! What a blessing to have this young man spreding the word! I will for sure direct my only son to wittness Mr. Tebow in action! (My hubby too) Thanks for sharing!!

10. RoxAnn says:

Thank you so much Dr. Phil for recognizing his accomplishments both on and off the field. I am a single mother blessed to be raising two wonderful children. My son, Michael, plays football and he too has a passion for the Lord in ways that are so unusual for today’s youth. His favorite music is Christian Rap music that inspires him and others to live for something better. It would be great to have Tim on your show and just have both of you talk about life. I know my son would love to watch the show and would also love to meet him. God has put the desire in my son’s heart to play college and NFL — I’m thankful that at this point in his life he has someone to watch and learn from. Again, thank you for taking the time to recognize Tim — the media will get it some day — in the meantime — I believe that’s where you come in :)

11. Jennifer says:

Couldn’t agree more, Dr. Phil. We are far from being Gator fans, but Tim Tebow is a huge hit in our house (we have 3 young children; 2 of which are football-loving boys). Mr. Tebow lives out The Great Commission on a daily basis and has a true servant’s heart. God has blessed him with a tremendous athletic talent and Tim has used it to honor and glorify his God.
    Now *that* is a true hero!

12. Lynn says:

Thabks for keeping the hope alive for us all!You are such a wonderful person Dr.Phil.We need more of you.

13. Mandy Woods says:

Thank you Dr. Phil for pointing out a wonderful guy. Very interesting and I had not heard of him. I love it.

14. ConnieMae says:

ALL I CAN SAY IS WOW!! How awesome! I am not a Gator fan but when I was watching the Bowl Game, I cheered on the Gators because of the scripture! I am a CHRISTIAN and will definitely be following Tim Tebow to see where the LORD leads him on his journey! I so want my girls to have a POSITIVE ROLE MODEL LIKE TIM! Thank you for sharing the insight on such a GREAT GUY! May many people be touched by TIM’s life to strive to be more CHRIST-LIKE in a society such as today! When it seems things just seem to be going down the toilet, remembering the IMPACT that Tim is having makes it all worth while! Happy New Year Dr. Phil!!

15. jannajo says:

so, we have someone we can admire and fully so – that is very refreshing and I join with him in praising Jesus, and quoting His Word, ( evangelism)…thank you for pointing out the hero in our midst! Woods has disappointed us (at the least his wife) but then Jesus loves them both equally, but is living better through the one, and not the other- Esau He hated (for the work, that is -He always loves the person) and Jacob He loved (for the work, and there was much God would have him to do). When you yield up your life to Jesus, and become totally available to Him, the fruit that He produces in you is amazing, yes.

16. Michele says:

Dr. Phil you are right on about Tim Tebow. (And I attend FSU!) It’s sad that Tiger Woods gets so much attention for being a serial cheater (*allegedly* – I’m pre-law.) And yet someone who does so much good, gets put down for his religious convictions. How much better would we, as a society, be if we all a little more generous, giving of our time, and not so caught up in “me”?

When did it become taboo to be proud of being a religious person? I’m Catholic & at times I question if I would’ve been strong enough to defend Jesus, had I been Peter.

I’d prefer my children don’t have sports figures as heroes, because as we’ve found out, you never know 100% of what goes on when they’re not on the field, course, or court. But Tim Tebow is the real deal. If my girls would aspire to be like him, it would make me proud.

17. FosterBoys says:

I applaud Tim’s confidence of his (sometimes unpopular) convictions. I wonder if he would be more or less criticized if he were quoting verses from the Torah or the Koran. Christian-bashing seems acceptable in this country.

18. lisaooooh says:

You have to love and respect an athelete who puts God first in his life and follows what God would want us to do. He is more than a role model for kids, he is a role model for all of us.

19. Amen and Amen

Below Pixiku is based on Matthew 7:12 “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. This is the law and the prophets.” aka GOLDEN RULE

MAKE A FASHION STATEMENT

The Golden Rule
    IS
    One Size Fits All

Dr. Phil, I applaud this blog “and” Tebow. I so agree with you Dr. Phil and now is the time too for you to mostly show persons getting it on your show so I hope that Tebow and other example setters will be on your show. I know you have many yet the more the merrier. Like you MANY have grown weary of the “toilet bowl snarky sportswriters” mentality.

I’ve had a lot of the same ideas as Tebow w/o the means about state-of-the-art orphanages and giving prisoners a sense of community such as running a recycling & refurbishing center for compensating victims of crime or officers injured in the line of duty. Prisoners have done quite well training service animals for handicapped persons. There was and may still be a stellar after prison residential program in California I think. (I saw on 60 Minutes or Dateline years ago.) It is commendable that Tebow has stayed grounded to do such exemplary things when now has the means.

N.B. Anyone who sees this please pray for my collie mix Tiggs who is in the doggie hospital very ill. He had some improvement over night & we visit him at 3:30 p.m. Thank you. God Bless Dr. Phil and all y’all (us all) too henceforth & forevermore. Amen

20. Angie says:

I write this as I’m sitting here with my almost two year old son on my lap. While he’s busy sucking his thumb and trying to write his own comments, I’m wishing for and thinking about his own future. My husband and I are huge college football fans and have followed Tim Tebow’s story almost his entire college football career. The year that he won the Heisman, my husband and I were watching. Naturally, as many parents do, we were dreaming big and thinking about how cool it would be if one day we could be sitting in the same seats as Tim’s parents were beaming with humble pride at our son’s accomplishments. I’ve often looked at Tim Tebow and thought, “Man, I’d love to take notes from his parents”. I mean how do you raise a child into an adult that is so successful, accomplished, confident, and strong in his faith and do it well especially in today’s society? Pray, hard work, and consistency are among the top things they would say, I’m sure. I don’t yet know what wonderful things our son will accomplish but I hope that we as parents do our job in setting him up to succeed in whatever he does! Thanks so much Dr. Phil for recognizing this young man and his parents for their success both on and off the playing field! Gems like them are a rarity to be heard of and celebrated these days and I thank you for doing that and for bringing them to an audience that may not have heard their story! Col. 3:17 says this, “And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”

21. Sandilou says:

Thank you so much, Dr. Phil, for your comments about Tim Tebow. Me & my husband are die hard GATOR fans and have ben with the Gators throught the good, the bad, & the ugly. I thank God every day for a Man like Tim. We went to every game this year and it was truly a blessing to get to watch the greatest Senior Class in SEC history play. You could tell from the start of Tim’s Sophomore year that HE was the leader of the team. What a HONOR to have ALL your teammates look up to you and for Tim to give ALL THE GLORY TO HIS LORD & SAVIOUR, JESUS CHRIST. ” What a Guy .” Thank you Tim for 4 wonderful years.

22. Big Mama says:

Dear Dr. Phil,
    Ditto for recognizing our special Gator. My husband and I enjoy watching Tim at the end of each home game walk around the stadium to high five fans. However, we both had tears in our eyes at the end of the Troy State game this past September. As Tim tried to exit the stadium he caught a glimpse of a young man in a wheel chair. He promptly turned around, climbed up the railing and shook hands with the young man with a Troy T-shirt on. The look on that young man’s face, as they say was “priceless.”

23. Candace Ball says:

As a life long Gator fan, I want to thank you for your blog about Tim Tebow. He truly is a fantastic example of what we all pray our sons will grow up to be. While other’s have made fun of his tears I see them coming from a real man who is not afraid or ashamed of his emotions. He is an awesome man and an incredible athlete. Thank you for recognizing that.

24. Usually anonymous says:

Dear Dr. Phil

I’ll watch “the Toilet Bowl” if it’s right next to “Rose Bowl”!!!

Kudos to Tim!!! True human!!!

25. Leonie says:

Dr Phil,
    I’d be interested in your opinion on this. I’ve just been reading that there is yet another fuss, because an Aussie ad connected to sport has been taken out of context by the American media. KFC (an American co!) has made a commercial about an Aussie cricket fan in the middle of a crowd of West Indian cricket fans. At the moment the Windies are touring here & KFC sponsors the Windies cricket team! The white Aussie “bloke” offers the Windies fans KFC in the ad to keep them from baracking for their team & to fit in in a friendly way with supporters of the opposing team. He is himself actually a bit of a joke, a dig at the image of the “typical Aussie Male”. Our cricket team plays against the Windies, Pakistan & the English (yes we call them Poms) every summer & it’s just as popular here as grid iron is for you, even more so, major TV stations televise the matches live for days! Aussies are sports obsessed. The friendly rivalry between all these teams is legendary as is the crazy behaviour of all the fans. Try googling The Barmy Army & you’ll see what I mean. If the English had of been touring it would have been their fans in the ad. Now we’re hearing it’s a racist slur against African Americans?!!!!! Most of us were clueless about this whole fried chicken thing & they’re cricket fans in the ad from the West Indies! Soul food isn’t something many countries have & we don’t see offering fried chicken to anyone else is offensive; it just isn’t here, we don’t think it’s a food associated with people from the West Indies. The colour of the fans isn’t the point, these ads are about international sports fans that get together every year & take the mickey out of each other in a fun way! They were made to aim at local cricket fans. Should the rest of the world have to consider American Issues with race in everything we do, or should Americans learn more about the rest of the worlds customs & culture before they make judgements?

26. Leonie says:

Oh my I forgot to mention a few other teams: India, South Africa, Sri Lanka, I hope that’s all the countries that play! My apologies, I’m actually not a cricket fan, just grew up with parents & friends that were :-)

27. Leonie says:

And New Zealand…. oh, how do you do the blushing smiley face! Sorry Kiwis!

28. Kerri says:

I just wanted to add this comment, which I’m quoting from Wikipedia. I’m not sure if anyone mentioned it in their comments and I didn’t see it in the article. In short, Tim Tebow was homeschooled: “All of the Tebow children were homeschooled by their mother, who worked to instill the family’s Christian beliefs along the way.[7] In 1996, legislation was passed in Florida allowing homeschooled students to compete in local high school sporting events.”

The Dr. Phil Show has been less than kind to homeschooling-often showing extremes. I am African American– one of the fastest growing segments of homeschooling. Our boys are 6 and 7. We love what Tim Tebow stand for. I find that many homeschooled children of all backgrounds are turning out to be responsible, well adjusted, and kind adults–Like Tim Tebow.

29. Kerri says:

I just wanted to add an (s) to stand(s) in my previous post–I’m the homeschool proponent. Toward the end of my post I said, “We love what Tim Tebow stand(s) for.” I wouldn’t want anyone to think I’m ignorant– especially with a Ph.D. in Neuroscience. All in good fun–Love the Dr. Phil show!

30. FosterBoys says:

I disagree with you, Kerri. I’ve seen at least one show where Dr. P defends home-schooling and the resultant children.

31. Kerri says:

Thanks Fosterboys, I may have missed that particular show–so I stand corrected. I mainly wanted to highlight that Tebow was homeschooled all the way through high school. I’ll be looking for more Dr. Phil shows that highlight a variety of homeschooling families.

32. Shannon says:

Dr. Phil, I am so glad to see someone recognize and appreciate this wonderful role model. Regardless of the fact that I am a UF Gators fan, I personally admire Tim Tebow’s testimony and the way he conducts his life. I have also been a long time fan of Danny Wuerffel who was also a dynamic young man who succeeded on the Collegiate ball field for the Gators. Dr, Phil, thank you for bringing this wonderful human being into attention as an appropriate role model for all of us at any age and for admonishing us to uplift those worthy of our attention, although I know Tim would apprpriately defer all the glory to God, where it first and foremost is deserved!

33. Melissa says:

I am a Alabama fan and my family is too. But we are fans of Tim Tebow. His faith and his love of the Lord is what won us over. He is a great role model for a sports players and fans. My son is playing football and we have discussed Tim’s beliefs and how on the field or off his is a CHristian all the time. I never laughed at him crying after losing to Alabama because I have seen youth and varsity football players cryi for losing a game or for their last game. Even thou he was crying on national tv you can ask alot of people that watched that game or the Sugar Bowl what Bible verse was on his face and they could tell you. Many people picked up their Bibles for the first time . I know that each time I saw him I did. He has brought alot to the sport of Football.

34. Melissa says:

Kudos Dr Phil! I am an OSU Buckeye in and out. It’s difficult to root for Floriday because they’ve often kicked us to the curb in bowl games. But, I find myself still cheering on Florida because of Tim Tebow. He is a fine young man with incredible values and someone I want my son looking up to. We will continue to follow him as he moves into the professional arena. As a Christian woman, I am particularly touched by him living his faith out on and off the field. Not many men have the courage to do this. Christianity aside, he is a young man of great integrity. We’ll be following his continuing career.

35. Bob Rice says:

Dr Phil
    I have always been a sport participator more than a fan. The story of Tim Tebow is a great media to show sports fans that there are good people in sports in a day when the media goes to great effort to expose the bad. Apparently it sells more copy. I was an academic all conference athlete my junior and senior years in high school. Parents and students were much more impressed with my athletic accomplishment than my academic(3rd in my class). They were shocked when I received so many academic offers and scholarships to colleges and universities and very few athletic. For me I was excited because I did not want to continue organized sports in college. Majoring in Math, Physics and Electrical Engineering was what I wanted. The sports I enjoyed( I played sports for the Frat I joined) and it would keep me in great physical condition, which stimulated my mental reasoning.
    I would like to see more stories about people in the academic world like Steve Jobs etc.etc. who create jobs and improve the human condition which is what this USA needs to get this economy back on its feet.
    Bob

36. karen says:

—– Original Message —–
    From: AG Webteam
    To: Paul Lawson
    Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 12:19 PM
    Subject: RE: abuse

Paul and Karen, we share your sadness in the death of Tereseann. The article in last Sunday’s Des Moines Register references our office’s unsuccessful attempts to have legislation passed that would keep people, such as Mr. Moore, from possessing firearms. However, all our office and law enforcement can do until laws are changed is enforce the laws currently in place. It is our legislators who make the decisions to change these laws, and we encourage Iowans to contact theirs when they would like to have new laws created or current ones revised. If you have not already done so, we would encourage you to share your thoughts with your legislators. If you need their contact information, you can go to http://www.legis.state.ia.us/FindLeg/

We appreciate your taking the time to share your views on this tragedy with our office.

——————————————————————————–

From: Paul Lawson [mailto:plawson26@mchsi.com]
    Sent: Sunday, November 15, 2009 10:30 AM
    To: AG Webteam
    Subject: abuse

Dear Tom Miller.

How come this young lady Tereseann Lynch Moore had to die in such a senseless death?

What is wrong with our system when she has been abused and threatened by a man with such

a long past. From 1999 to the day of her death last week he was abusing women and causing harm to all

that he was in contact with. He had restraining orders put up against him and why didnt those orders ever

take full effect and protect her from him. what is wrong with our system and why are people turning the heads

from this serious problem that we have in our everday lives. How do abusive men get ahold of weapons and cause

undo harm and even death to innocent people like tereseann lynch moore.

We all should be ashamed of ourselves for letting this man fall through the cracks.you know who he is.

his name is randall moore. we would like to know how many other women have to die because knowone

wants to get invloved and help people out that have a serious problem of abuse.Why doesnt a protective order ever be

followed through when it is applied to a certain abuser. WHY.? Do no contact orders really work? As far as we are concerned they dont.

This man had such a long criminal record it seems that it was swept under the rug sort of speaking and NOTHING was ever done.

After reading fridays story we are very concerned that law enforcement cannot retrieve any or all weapons from an abusers home.

we cannot take there word for it because things like this will happen again and again and again if we dont change the laws.

Until someone listens and makes changes in our system we are going to continue to send out messages to everyone that needs

to be told about this very serious problem we have. This has to be one of many deaths that should have never happened if people

that have the nessessary ways and means to protect these innocent people from harm.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. we are very concerned citizens of iowa,

Paul and Karen Lawson of waukee iowa 50263

PLS eveyone this has to get out there for pepole to know that we can not sit on our hands any more this will not go away untill we we help and change something for all of us it is breaking my heart that it seem know one cares

ty …. karen from Iowa

37. Erin says:

Dr. Phil, TEAM LEACH needs YOU!!!

57,000+ members on

IN SEARCH of JUSTICE and the TRUTH

38. MaliMack says:

What this USA needs is more Christians just like Tebow that is willing to stand up and speak the word of GOD. Everything else will fall into place.

39. Rebecca Cook says:

Thank you Dr. Phil for noticing one of the Good guys of sports! It is so rare in this day in age where a person is actually and honestly a good guy on the inside and out. That is exactly what Tim Tebow is! I myself have set him up as a role model for my son Miciah. My son is at an impressionable age and seeing him idolizing some rather unsettling people it is good to have one that I can say hey take a look at him. Isn’t he great! He has championships rings, the Heisman, and GOD! See some times things do happen for a reason! Great catch Dr. Phil and keep up the good work!

40. Dr. Phil's #1 fan! says:

Dr. Phil
    I have always loved you, your shows, your books and your beautiful wife. You bring out the good in us all and I thank you for that! I started watching Tim Tebow because he was handsome and soon learned what a blessing he is to our world. It is so wonderful to see a young man with morals and a love of God. Thank you for bringing light to this Godly young man and thank you for putting positivity in our hearts because there is so much negetivity in the media today….when you retire.. in which I will be devastated…why dont u have a show or a column called “good news”!

Thank you for being you…I know you have saved my life and brought so much joy to others!!!

41. Myra Keller says:

Dr Phil,

There are some great sports people that others can look up to. Football is not the only sport to have these people. Aaron Cook is a Colorado Rockies pitcher. He has shown very Godly character. He is from my area of Hamilton, Ohio. I would like to see more people like him and Tim Tebow be brought to the forefront so children today have a better role model to look up to. Aaron Cook is an amazing man and has been through many things, but with God he has overcome them. I would love to see you do a show of various sports players from different sports who are good role models and let them tell their story. I would love for people like Aaron to tell their story to millions of people and be able to make a difference in a young person’s life. Children today need to see that not all sports stars make poor choices like Tiger Woods, Michael Vick, etc. God bless you Dr Phil and your show. Keep up the good work.

42. Ian says:

With Michael Vick,Adam Jones, and all the other athletes who have chosen to violate forms of common decency it is great to see athletes like Tim Tebow,Colt McCoy,and so many others. These gentlemen are true MEN of character. There have always been strong athletes of Character. Men such as Roger Staubach and JC Watts are MEN of integrity. Women athletes are out there also who have integrity. Yes there are the Vicks,Jones,and Bonds out there but so many other outstanding men and women of Character are out there being true role models.

43. Jayna Phillips says:

I agree with your kind words about Tim Tebow. My son attends Texas Tech and yet he so admires Tebow. My son looks up to him and as he put it “Tebow is making it cool to be a Christian college kid” My son is a devoted christian as well. He credits Tebow for bringing like minded college kids together as fans. He now has a great group of friends who support each other and can speak and stand up as Christians! I just became a fan of NASCAR and credit Carl Edwards (AFLAC #99) for my sudden love of this sport! He too is a class act with great character and integrity! He gives his time and celebrity status to various charitable organizations that mainly assists children. He is a true gentleman, competitor and good sport! He has inspired me to keep fighting this illness and gives me something to look forward to. I am counting the days till the 2010 season starts and especially April at TMS when I get to see them in person! That’s my hope and dream that I will be able to make the trip. I’m looking forward to see many “backflips” from Carl this year!

44. Laurie says:

Wouldn’t it be great if Alexandra and Katherine (of the Dr. Phil Family) would look at Tim Tebow for an example of what to look for in a boyfriend. Jeez.

Anyways, great post. Tim will be greatly missed in NCAA football, but I am looking forward to the future chapters in the life of this extraordinary young man.