February 3rd, 2010 by Dr. Phil

Read This at Your Leisure

WomenLeis“Women have at least 30 hours of leisure time every week.” HA! Did you get that? Now, don’t kill the messenger. I didn’t say it, and I bet you don’t believe it. Robin sure did not. But that’s what a researcher by the name of John Robinson, a sociologist at the University of Maryland, says was revealed in the research he did. His findings state (admittedly simplified, but you can read more below): Women today have an extra 30 hours to spare each week, even though more of them are working outside the home than in the 1960s.

Did you get that? You have 30 hours to spare. That’s four or five hours per day!!I can hear many of you groaning now, and please don’t punch the computer screen as they are expensive, and you don’t want to waste your free time getting a new one. Obviously, John Robinson didn’t include any of my staff, over 90 percent of whom are women. Many of them tell me they’d have more than a few bones to pick with him and his time-use studies. The study, which Washington Post staff writer Brigid Schulte shines a spotlight on, includes definitions and caveats. You can read more about it here.

I’ll bet your questions include: What constitutes leisure time? Sitting in the dentist’s office, checking business e-mails on your Blackberry, as you wait for your kid? Catching a few minutes of TV while you’re home sick with the flu? I’m sure a lot of working moms who do manage to find extra hours in the week are bombarded with texts or calls from the hubby and kids wondering when dinner is going to be ready or if the dog’s been fed.

I actually talked to a mom today that said she agreed with the study. She said she thinks women are wasting time on the computer messing with Facebook and the like. She didn’t want me to use her name! HA!

So what do you think? Did the researchers find a great hidden truth or did they miss the mark? Please let me hear from you.

P.S. — I sense a show coming on this one!

Tags: , , ,

143 Responses to “Read This at Your Leisure”

1. Marti says:

I surely don’t have those extra 30 hours a week. If someone has 30 extra hours they can send them my way anytime. I don’t of any moms that have that much extra time. Who in the world did they interview for this.

2. Nada Bunnell says:

So missed the mark! I don’t have a husband, and my kids are grown, but I do have my own business. In this economy, it’s all I can do to keep my head above water with the clients I do have, while constantly working on ways to get more business. Advertising a small business without spending any money is a full time job in itself!

3. Christy Curry says:

I do think that some moms, including myself, have more leisure time these days. For one my child is in school now so that frees up some of my day. However, I don’t find that I get anything more done with the extra time I have.

4. Laura says:

Since I work full-time & I’m in school full-time, plus single mom of 2 teenagers, I definitely don’t have 30 hours a week (unless you count this minute on my lunch break I’m spending answering this question). I could really use more time in my day.

5. Karen says:

Wow, Dr. Phil. Quite frankly, I find this study to be extremely sexist. Did they also do a study on men? Perhaps they would like to do a “study” on my husband, who comes home and spends 4 hours a night (and all day on the weekends) playing video games and watching TV while I cook dinner, pay bills, clean house, and attend to his every need without complaints (after I come home from work). Yes, I sure do spend an hour a day on Facebook because I need the connection with friends and family, and I make no apologies for it. This study fails to consider the fact that these 30 hours may be leisure, but are probably spent attending to someone else’s needs, which is what women do best, right? (insert sarcasm) I think Mr. Robinson is confused about how “leisure time” is defined.

6. Kristin says:

Dear DrPhil~ I am 27, a sahm of 2 a 2 year-old boy and a 9 month old girl. I am a fulltime student and just became a single mother. I was in an abusive marriage and was abused everyday. I moved to Yorkville with my sister, 4 childrn, and her husband. I moved away from abuse to me, to abuse to my son. I fight with my sister all the time becasue of the way I am raising my son. She calls him “a little annoying son of a b****.” He is 2! We are staying in the unfinished basement and his asthma is acting up. Right now he has Pneumonia, double ear infection, and I am giving him treatments twices a day. He doesnt deserve to be called names from anyone defantly his aunt. I need help and asking u. Can you help get us into a house near my sister? Cause believe it or not we are close. And I need a car because I left everything behind with my ex. I need this help to get my healthy and happy son back. Please help us. Thank you Kristin

7. FosterBoys says:

What else do you expect from my Alma Mater? LOL.

8. debbie ponzetti says:

I believe that I am not that different from many other women in America. I am 52 raising my 3 year old grandson because his parents find it too hard to deal with. I am also taking care of my 87 year old Mother who has had 3 strokes. I worked full time until this year when my husband and I decided that I should quit my job to stay home and take care of them I am lucky because I can stay home.
    But he is an over the road truck driver and has to stay out longer so I can stay home. So when is my free time. Never! Even if I do get someone to watch the house I have to be on call in case they need me. At 52 I thought my life would be my time and my husband and I could finally get to know each other again. Instead I am taking care of everyone else. I really hate my life right now. If anyone wants to trade let me know.

9. tammy says:

are you kidding me?leisure time whats that?!i am a stay at home mom with a 12 yr old son,4 yr old daughter,3 yr old son, 2 yr old son and a girl on the way. I donot have any extra time to spare!where did they come up with that!

10. Erin says:

Maybe he is considering sleep as a leisure activity. I would love to see what it shows for men having leisure time.

11. Lara Straten says:

30 hrs. a week of leisure time my foot! I am a single mother with 2 college students living at home! The idea that your kids will turn 18, and are grown is so unrealistic.My guys are mature young men who are capable of taking care of most of their physical needs. And yet, I spend a tremendous amount of time telling them I love them unconditionally, reassuring them that the world is their oyster and mistakes are only as big as you make them. If you fall down, you dust yourself off, and get back in their. One minute they want you to treat them like an adult, the next they want their mommie! And yes, I suppose I should let them do more, while I go to the gym, take a class, or have lunch with friends, but the world is a mean and competitive place. What could I better invest my time and attention on then the sweet young men in my life. After all they will be taking care of me some day!

12. Erika says:

I think if moms did have an extra 30 hours a week husbands wouldn’t be sex deprived and women wouldn’t be *itches.

Right now I work 4.5 hours a week (on Canadian mat leave which lets me earn a certain amount extra) from home, which means during my ‘freetime’, plus I look after my 2 year old and breastfeeding 5 month old all day. I do all the night duties every single night. I schedule my freetime (dance classes) and have to make sure EVERYTHING has been done before I go (Kids are bathed, fed, baby is usually asleep) or else my husband makes it frustratiratng to leave. Did I mention we’re potty training one and the other is teething? Or that we don’t drive so we walk everywhere? Or that it’s – 20C right now here in Northern Alberta and every trip outdoors requires at least 15 minutes of bundling?

My life is pretty tame compared to some people’s as I can see.

Maybe the study is talking about those women who stay home while their children are in school? I’ll bet without a toddler running around and messing up the house, and a baby to tote around, I could do my housework in a couple hours and watch tv and eat bon bons the rest of the day.

Thank god you can watch tv while nursing.

13. Gina says:

Seems to me that they cited the wrong sex. My husband works third shift so he should be home about an hour before I leave with the kids for school, but that seldom happens. Then he has the house to himself where little cleaning or anything else productive happens. He eats, watches movies, plays games on the computer, and texts his friends. Then he goes to sleep 2 hours before I return home from picking our children from school. I only wish I had that kind of schedule! I feel like a single parent, only I have an extra child that I didn’t give birth to that I have to clean up after and take care of! So send me some of that abundance of leisure time – I sure would like to have it!!!

14. Is that leisure time to sleep?

Looks like someone has a SUCKER stamp ready to stamp on our collective heads: “John Robinson, a sociologist at the University of Maryland.” Sorry, I’ve already been stamped since when read in Norman Transcript

EXTREME MAKEOVER HOME EDITION ANNOUNCING WHERE BUILDING A HOME IN OKLAHOMA MADE FEBRUARY 2, 2010: Lexington, OK. All the best to lucky recipient from originator of original idea I thought of since the best way to invest in America is to invest in Americans and what good is an idea if not shared.

Actually, thought the modest, less than 1000 sq. ft., lot 60 x 150 or so feet energy efficient cottage I asked to be built in my home town, Norman OK, (IF my home renovation idea SEARS thanked me for used by SEARS or Extreme Makeover (since used) WAS FINALLY BEING BUILT. Nope, just my idea built on and EXTREME SUCKER stamped on my head.

SEARS February 7, 2002 THANK YOU FOR MY HOME RENOVATION SERIES IDEA:

http://img390.yfrog.com/i/searsthankufortvseriesi.png/ and does

Thought of TV idea since illness took Norman family home 1994. Chose SEARS as sponsor since use to sell Honor Bilt Homes 1908-1940. Glad SEARS liked my idea SEARS sponsor home renovation TV series…

HONOR BILT HOMES

Nine years ago asked SEARS & 7 yrs ago Extreme Makeover if used my home renovation TV series idea to please build me a modest senior friendly, energy efficient cottage in Norman similar to Montford Inn Prairie House in size and location: http://www.montfordinn.com/prairie-house-cottage.html

SEARS THANK YOU:

Even this many years later got hopes up.

So was this leisure time fantasy of “John Robinson, a sociologist at the University of Maryland” the 30 of hours of sleep women get IF LUCKY in a week? That looks like research with a SUCKER punch stamp. Although, I may be a bit skeptical since I already have SUCKER stamped on my forehead. John Robinson must have calendar psychosis (confusing dates) and think it is April 1st aka April Fools Day.

15. Denise says:

I wish I could find and extra 30 hours! I think the only extra time I have is when I am sleeping! My husband is in the military and currently on a 12 month remote assignment. I take care of EVERYTHING. I work a full time job, take care of my child (who currently has Hodgkins Disease and requires a lot of medical care), all of the household chores inside and out, the dogs to the groomers, grocery shopping after work. You name it, I do it. So whoever came up with the extra 30 hours a week, obviously is not walking in my shoes.

16. Karen says:

Oh…and Dr. Phil…just because you had one lady on your show who was obsessed with Farmville doesn’t mean all women play on Facebook for hours on end. :-) Maybe we should all send you our schedules? Just teasing LOL. Love your show Dr. Phil and love these blogs!

17. Elizabeth says:

I am terrified that people actually believe they have this much free time.

Isn’t it more a justification to spend too much time doing things that they want instead of what needs to be done? What kind of example does that set?

Personally, it makes it harder on those of us that take on the responsibilites that they won’t (and I now have RA and chronic pain – maybe for the rest of my life).

I am surrounded by people that refuse to keep a “to do” list, yet waste 30 hours a week and more parked in front of a box watching tv, playing games, texting,… – and they are adults!

With parents teaching their youth that this is a benefit of being an adult, the US is going to have some serious issues, if not already.

VERY sad.

18. Leonor says:

The study’s result is interesting.
    Last year I had to set an objective in life, related with time management and I changed the hour I used to leave the office. In the beginning was difficult to me to leave work at 6:30 pm but now … I discovered that it is so important to set specific objectives in life, thinking in what we really want! and i still work a lot!

19. joy hunte says:

I do have in excess of 30 hours of spare time.I am a stay at home mom for the pass six months. Please don’t get me wrong,I was employed for 28 years out of my 46years of my life.
    After my husband insisted that I should resign,and join him in the Caribbean I did.
    He told me that it is time for me to relax,after being so busy most of my life.
    So here I am cleaning and baking whole grain cookies for my family and neighbours.
    The house is empty at 7.00 am , my hubby loves a real hot lunch,he comes home for that every day .Then the house is busy ,once again at 5.00 pm.
    Bless the Lord I am really enjoying some treasured moments,where I have the opportunity to turn the television off and unplug the telephone and listen to my heart.

20. joy hunte says:

YES I DO AGREE.NO NAME NO WARRANT

21. i think the line between business and pleasure is becoming increasingly blurry however i do agree, personally i think people don’t make effective use of their time as much as they should and the result is that a lot of time is wasted doing unproductive things

22. Yes, I do, because I am unemployed and stay at home most of the time. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t just sit and watch television. I can watch Dr. Phil while job searching online, washing dishes, washing clothes, enhancing photographs, playing with my cats (all five hang around my work area when I am at home). Leisure for me is doing something I enjoy; if I enjoy it, it does not bore me; and if it does not bore me, I call it leisure.

23. FosterBoys says:

I knew the name sounded familiar. I took a graduate course (inter-disciplinary) with Dr. Robinson while working on my PhD. He’s a good good guy. The class was on Polls and Surveys and taught me everything I know and distrust about social science research.

He’s a smart guy and has been in the field of sociology for a LONG time. He knows his stuff.

24. Stephanie says:

30hrs???seriously betwenwr & school & being a mom I wanna know where this ” extra 30hrs is”

25. Pam Speed says:

You need a female researcher on this subject. I am sure their findings would be different. Although I am sure, Mr. Robinson is a good socialogist. If a woman has 30 exta hours of “leisure” time (what is his definition?), she is not living a “productive” life (define that one, too). There are too many veriables to make this a future show. I don’t recommend doing a program on women’s “leisure” time.

26. Larissa says:

Amen to what adelaide_dancing said in an earlier post. Those two points are what I was going to write.

27. Kassi Chaney says:

I am currently a stay-at-home mom, and 30 hours a week would be a vacation for me. I have 2 kids and I am usually busy until about 8pm. I may get 2 hours a day for my much needed mommy time. All I can say is OBVIOUSLY a man did this research! HA!

28. Anne Larson says:

I would give anything to have leisure time. I have a husband and 6 kids to take care of. There is no leisure time for me. Even trying to take a bath is impossible some days. Kids knocking on the door because they have to go to the bathroom. Cooking & cleaning take 90%of my time. Having all my boys in sports keeps me very busy too. Dr.Phil if you do a show on this please contact me. I would really like to meet the people who think that women have this much free time on their hands. Thank you, Anne Larson

29. As a full time student and stay at home mom to 3 young children I could probably find 30 hours of “leisure” time a week.. Assuming sleep, driving to and from classes, and a 10 minute shower with a child banging on the door all count as leisure time…

30. Lori says:

I take issue with this professor’s definition of “leisure”. It might help to know how he defined “leisure” for men and if he included activities they do while at work that might not be considered “productive work time”. The job description for “mother” includes many of the activities he labels as leisure. Entertaining my children while stuck in a 2-hour traffic delay is not leisure time. Maybe somebody needs to explain to him that building relationships with my children is productive work and not leisure.

And, my experience in motherhood is that if I have 30 hours of leisure time in a week, it comes in 5 and 10 minute increments.

31. Lauren says:

If it’s true…why is it a problem? Isn’t leisure time good for us? Why do we have to be martyrs? I am going to take this article to my spouse so he can see if other women are getting 30 hours, I want my fair share!!

32. Virginie says:

Well I think the problem is that most of us assume that leisure time means “Me” time. And so of course when you are married and have kids, you do not have thirty hours a week of “Me” time. However if you keep an open mind and really think of how much time you spend watching TV with your husband on the week-end or your kids. How much time you spend reading to them at night or playing on the week-end. Walking the dog, reading, browsing internet, eating… I think eating is part of leisure right? So Just that per day is easily 1 hour, isn’t it? and therefore 7 hours a week. I think in the study they add up every little minute that are not worked… If someone tells you you have 4 hours a day of leisure and 5 on the week-end, you will say of course not! But if you count every single thing, can you not find 10-15 minutes every hours where you don’t do something… the 5 minutes you were dreaming at your desk or the 15 minutes coffee break or the 10 minutes answering personal emails. We may not see the minute of leisure we take every 5 minutes or so… but if you count everything yes I guess we could find some. Problem is we only feel “leisure” when it is a big chunk of time, not a spare minute looking in the mirror in the bathroom at work… And yes indeed, if we would work non-stop for 10 hours, without a single minute of stopping not even to eat then we may find 3 hours for leisure. So are we bad planner or are we doomed to waste time to survive… After all could we survive without those 30-second break where our mind slips into dreamland…

33. Virginie says:

Lori said “Maybe somebody needs to explain to him that building relationships with my children is productive work and not leisure”

Well that is the point here… I believe for him, building relationships is pleasurable and therefore is consider as leisure not work… You do enjoy doing it, right? So a lot of the time spend with kids, that feels like work (ie someone HAS TO do it) is in fact consider leisure in the study..

People are commenting on the man vs woman leisure time… I find it interesting that according to the article both man and woman have the same 64 hours a week of workload… 64 hours? only? that actually shock me more than the 30 hours of leisure. Plus if you count 8 hours of sleep (who gets that though?) per day, 64 hours of work and 30 of leisure a week, we still miss 18 hours? what are they then?

34. Cathy Sparling says:

Ditto what my daughter Heather Cook said.

35. debra steinman says:

Actually, Dr. Phil … this man has it right. It’s up to us as women, and moms to prioritize our time so we have me time.

Yes I take good care of my family, but I take care of myself too.

I am getting up at 4:30 AM to do it. But, by taking proper care of myself from the outset, has made me a better wife and mother.

And if any posters want to know what I deal with … I am married (living with Aspergers) … raising two kids with Aspergers, and a artist.

If I can make time for myself, so can anyone on these boards.

36. Katy HS says:

I think he meant to say SLEEP.

37. FullMetalJ says:

I would like to know the deal behind this whole ‘martyr complex’ women seem to have these days. Seems to me that if people were genuinely that busy, they wouldn’t have so much time to talk about how busy they are…

Here’s an idea: Don’t have more kids than you can commit to. If you can barely handle one, don’t have two. Need to work all those extra hours for the income? How about taking some steps to reduce cost of living. Lazy husband? Shouldn’t have married someone unwilling to maintain a happy and productive household. Too much on your plate? Scrap some off.

People enjoy talking about ‘how busy’ they are and making their lives appear as such. It’s disturbing, masochistic behaviour that not only over-complicates their own lives but also has negative effects their families. It is behaviour that should not be awarded nor positively acknowledged in any way. These martyr complexes are just people emotionally masturbating and who-knows-what inferiority/superiority complex drives it.

Personally I do not care how they got to that point one way or another. I do expect them to stop whining and begging for a cookie and asking where their medal is for this nonsense that they brought upon themselves and are now subjecting their families to.

Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself to.

38. kristy donnelly says:

I’m a mum to a 2 and a half year old and 26 weeks pregnant. I was put on strict bed rest for the duration of my pregnancy. However while keeping my feet up i have to still shower my toddler clean up his toys do washing, ironing, folding, sweeping moping and other house hold chores and am only allowed to do each chore in 20 minute stints. I’m lucky to get 30 minutes of “leisure” time after my bub goes to bed before i pass out asleep on the lounge. My husband used to think that for the 13 hours a day he is at work i sat back and relaxed until he saw my daily chore book now he thinks i get less “me” time than he gets

39. Andrea says:

Hmmm not quite.
    I do however get a few extra hours of leisure time as I have weaned my sleep down to about 3.5 – 4 hours a night. It’s a little tricky at first but your body gets used to it.

I have 3 daughters at home in their teens. They are a handful (as teens should be) but they are made to do chores. The problem is that I find most often they do not complete the tasks exactly to my liking so between bugging them to actually do the tasks, and then somewhat re-doing them after the girls have done them, I have not gained any time.

My husband… boy, where to start. He, like many men and boys that I know of, was babied when living with his parents. Sure he had to help carry laundry up stairs, and take out trash… things of that nature… it is nowhere near the dedication level that I would consider helpful. So, I’m lucky he has an excellent job and provides the family with sufficient funds for our lifestyle… it’s his contribution b/c he really does nothing at home.
    He can’t cook anything but 2 pasta dishes (which he does maybe 2 or 3 times a year), he’s not here to carry in the groceries so I do it which does not help the 2 disks in my back that have ruptured after years of slugging heavy bags and carrying children.
    He’s so sleepy after work that he hits the couch and sleeps… eats the dinner I prepare for him… and then sleeps again, while I am cleaning up after dinner, throwing in a laundry load or running errands or looking after my elderly father. We rarely talk any time but over coffee at 4 am or early mornings on the weekend.
    I love him dearly but despite my pleas for help he does not seem capable of giving my the assistance I feel I require.

For that reason I can and do only work part time… so that I can manage the cleaning, cooking,grocery shopping, kids needs, pet’s needs, minor and major home improvement projects ie painting, drywall, plumbing (good thing my father raised me as a very handy woman – I can and have done many tune ups on my own car too) etc.
    As far as what I would consider leisure time… no, I really do not think I get any. At 47 with some auto immune health issues I really have no time or energy left over to do things I might like to. When my day is done I find I am too tired to ‘do’ anything like classes or lunching with friends. I use that time to sit for an hour before bed and watch the news with a heating pad and perhaps a bucket of epsom salt water for my feet. I enjoy that hour as I feel it heals my body just that little bit and it feels nice… and I enjoy that time with a nice cup of organic tea. Don’t ask me about currne television programs as I only ‘hear’ the shows as I go about my business. I do try to turn on the Dr. Phil Show and turn the volume waaaay up so I can hear it in the kitchen as I am preparing dinner… always from ’scratch’ using real vegetables and meats… nothing comes from a package here.
    As far as my ummm ‘relations’ with my husband go.. I have no desire any longer and only succumb to his advances in rare instances when I’m in a position that the pain will allow me to ‘assume the position’ (too much information, lol).

So, I would be very curious to know exactly what the parameters are for this study.. as I certainly do not feel I fall into that category and I’d like to know if I’m doing something incorrectly.
    (My feeling is that the study may be centring around younger women; the generation a tad younger than myself seems a much more ’selfish’ one, if I dare use the word.. I see them going to the gym, doing these ‘girls night out at the bar’ dates (which I feel is definitely NOT something you do if you are married – I know 2 women who have had extramarital affairs stemming from these outings) … all sorts of things… they are apart from their family a lot. I wonder if that has anything to do with the skyrocketing divorce rate?

All I know is the way our life goes and that I’ve been married faithfully for 26 years… and counting (regardless of hubby’s lack of assistance in anything but financial support) and quite frankly I don’t think that many of the younger girls I have worked with in the past would have stayed in the same type of relationship and circumstance.

I’m off.. it’s now 5:30am and I’ve spent far too long on this…time to shower and get the girls up for 6am, make sure they have some breakfast and prepare lunches, drive them to school, go do the grocery shopping (arrrrgh) and then run to work. *sigh*

40. Shannon says:

I don’t believe woman have more leisure time. Where? and When? and next tell more how I can get it. I barely have enough time to breath much less have any leisure time.

41. Rhonda says:

I do not believe this blanket statement has any merit. Each of us, women and men, are individuals with choices. I believe what one does with their time is up to their own personal goals, expectations, work ethic, and principles. There are a lot of people (men and women) who put off things that need to be done for things they want to do (leisure). On the other hand there are those who are using every second they are given to complete tasks and never feel they can stop to smell the flowers (or get on Facebook). Therefore, I believe a more accurate statement could be that many people today consider leisure time a bigger priority then they did in the past.

42. Sam says:

Haha!!! Maybe the time I spend driving to, from and at the hockey rink for practises, games, tournaments and meetings is considered “leisure”!!! Seriously, what planet is this guy from?!

43. Heather says:

WoW. That would be nice but not even close. I avg about 45 min to an hour leisure time. I spend a lot of time taking care of my family and it is frustrating sometimes but I would never give it up. It’s part of being a mom and a wife and my family is very important to me. I’m just so grateful to have 2 healthy kids and a good husband and couldn’t imagine it any other way. I know someday my kids will move on and things will slow down and for now I cherish every minute.

44. Ghostwheel says:

I can see if you are a single woman, with even a 60 hour work week job, you could conceivably have 30 hours a week (18 waking hours per day time 7 is 112 hours, subtract 90 from 112 and you have 20 hours for laundry, whatever cooking/cleaning you do, etc) A single person only has themselves to clean up after can get it done pretty quickly. However, when you have a family, that changes the equation, whether male or female. As a single person, I had a lot of extra time. With two children and a spouse, not so much.

And it does depend on what “leisure” is defined as. Spending time talking with a spouse might be leisure for one person and another chore for someone else. Knitting a blanket might be leisure for one person and a chore for someone else (say its a gift which is a “to do” item to buy or make). Making a meal might be leisure for one person and a chore for someone else. The term “leisure” is a little subjective. I would assume that if there would be a list of “chores” women did in the past, and there could easily be many that are no longer required and you could find “leisure” time that way.

45. Linda RH says:

Maybe he’s referring to the time women get to sleep as “leisure time”?
    Now that my children are grown, I have some leisure time. The survey just lists all women, so I find the accuracy questionable.

46. Blgspc says:

A Seventy-something year old divorced MAN is finding ‘Leisure Time’ in the lives of working mothers of four?!? And, he- Robinson- “…once received a Golden Fleece Award for wasting taxpayer money…” (blink) Really?!? Only once?

AND, when this man, Robinson, did a study of his own time he began creating activities for himself in his leisure time, one of which was becoming “a Beer Connoisseur”. (quell surprise.)
    My ONLY question is how much ‘Beer Connoisseuring’ is he doing?!? I mean, the man regards sitting in a broken down car on the of the side of the road, waiting for the Tow-Truck as ‘Leisure’ time?!? Call ME ‘hasty’ but, I’m thinking that perhaps his perspective isn’t the best one!

I’m NOT a young, busy working mother of four. I’m a 54 year old woman surrounded by seniors- two of which are my parents. Don’t get me wrong I’m glad their still here and all but they can be quite challenging! I constantly smell of Ben Gay, now but hey, that’s better than A LOT of other smells I can think of, at the moment! It’s humbling to be riding down a busy four lane highway and have a 91 year old sitting in the passenger seat, recount memories of, “back when this busy highway was a dirt road….” And “when, Pa” he continued “bought our first family automobile. It was a brand new Ford model T. It scared me! Back then the countryside was quiet and here come this loud, rattling, big black machine that propelled itself?!? I remember Pa had $445.00 in his hand and he told me to look at it carefully because it was more money than I would ever see in my whole life!” My 91 year old uncle kind of chuckles about that.
    Anyhow, I suppose that we ALL get those 3:30 AM calls from someone who needs us whether they are 91 days, 91 months or 91 years old. I think that it makes us aware of our place in the world and causes us to reflect about whether we will be remembered as fondly and as colorfully as this 91 year old man.

In any case, I don’t know WHERE that extra 30 hours of leisure time is for busy women however, I know for sure that I don’t have it! Robinson may be storing some of the other women’s 30 hours of Leisure Time wherever he stores that Beer!

(I DO have to wonder if Robinson drew his conclusions before or after he started popping those tops!)

BG

47. FosterBoys says:

BG,

Like he said, he “just measures time, he’s not a chrono-therapist”. And who cares if he drinks beer? He’s not judging what we women do in our leisure time, he’s just quantifying it. Why should we care what he does in his?

Sure, I’m defending him because I know him. But the government is notorious for throwing money at academics to fund studies (needed or not).

48. Essie says:

HA HA! That is so funny! I think someone was looking for a way to get himself some press coverage.
    30 hours would be roughly 4 hours a day of leisure, do- whatever- I- want to do time. Mmmmm, no. Going to the grocery store does not count as “leisure”. Same with laundry- not leisure.
    Though, I do agree with another commenter that we all tend to overdo things in an effort to be able to do it all. Women have to take control of the time we do have and set our boundaries then stick firm to them.

49. Paradoxis says:

The study is true, but those are the hours that we sleep.

50. Caroline says:

Well, 30-40 hours might be a bit much, but yes, I do have a lot of spare time. I am a stay at home mum, with a 7 and 9 yo. THey go to school during the day, and have some extra curricular activities after. If I organize my time well I can get what needs to be done over with in 2-3 hours a day. So that leaves me a lot of spare time. I have to admit, that was not the case when my kids were younger. I was so overwhelmed and stressed out, that when I did have some spare time, I couldn’t even come up with a nice and relaxing way to use that time. My brain couldn’t cope. Free time was being absorbed by being stressed out. So I didn’t feel like I had any.
    So a lot also lies in the perception of one’s free time….
    I am looking for work at the moment driven by boredom because of too much free time, and also the need to be part of the working society again. Perhaps once I join the workforce again, the scales will tip and I too will be longing for more free time.. :-)