May 7th, 2010 by Dr. Phil

Your First Look at My Grandchild

averyFor those of you who might be wondering if I’m finally getting over my giddiness about being a grandfather, I have just one thing to say: “I AM JUST GETTING STARTED! SHE IS AS CUTE AS A SPECKLED PUP!”

On Thursday’s show, the littlest McGraw made her first appearance on our stage. I am so toast! HA! I’m telling you now; I’m putty in her tiny hands! She smiled at me yesterday; I promise she did! When Avery Elizabeth McGraw is in the room — I can’t tell if she is giggling and cooing at me, or is it me at her? With Robin in the room, we are a chorus to be sure. She truly was put on earth to be a grandmother.

I also have to say how very proud I am of Jay and Erica as first-time parents. My daughter-in-law is thriving as a mother. For a window into the depth of this young mother’s loving soul, I only have to repeat one thing she said: “When I look at Avery, I can’t help think how I will ever thank her enough for the joy she has brought to my life.” That says it all about her as a mother. And Jay is having the time of his life with his baby girl. It seems as though he has been doing this for years, not just a few weeks! Although there are times when I shake my head, still finding it hard to believe he’s a father — I admit, he’ll always be my little boy — he too loves his new role in life. I have no doubt that Avery will be brought up in a loving, nurturing and healthy household.

Avery’s also making her big debut on The Doctors on Tuesday. Plus, you can get a copy of the new People magazine. Their photographer, Alison Dyer, took an amazing photo of our little bundle of joy. I promise you, this child is about the cutest thing you’ll ever see!

161 Responses to “Your First Look at My Grandchild”

1. Kim says:

Congrats on your first grandchild! She is beautiful!

2. Susan says:

Welcome to the grandparents club and congratulations on your beautiful new angel! My grandson is 9 months old and I continually wonder how long it will take before I can look at him and not tear up in awe. How blessed I am that he and my daughter live with us so I have the privilege of waking up to his beautiful smile every morning. Blessings to you and your wonderful family.

3. Carol says:

Best of luck with your little bundle of joy! She’s gorgeous! I am about to become a grandma for the first time myself in mid November, and I can’t wait to see her (a girl), hold her and kiss her! I’ll have to hold of on the squeezing for a while. So exciting!!!

4. Susannah says:

Hi Dr.Phil!

Congratulations with the birth of your grandchild! She is BEAUTIFUL!

5. Christine says:

Dr. Phil and Robin…

You don’t realize how young grand parents are until you beocome one! Congrats, Avery is darling! Welcome to the “spoilers club!…whoohooo!

Best Wishes and God Bless ^j^

6. Hillevi says:

This is one beautiful Child! :)

And as a grandmother for 5, nearly 6 years now, I know how much in love we can be!

Greetings from Norway.

7. tara says:

beautiful says it all! CONGRATULATIONS!

8. Holly says:

Dr Phil and Robin,

Wow congratulations on your new little wonder, I am a young mother of two and a third on the way and I want to wish Jay and Erica all the luck in the world. Their life has just started and the joys they will experience from here will be alot of fun and wonderful.

I thought my children were beautiful but she is so cute.
    Again CONGRATULATIONS

Greetings from Holland

9. Ati Koopman (Netherlands) says:

Dear Dr. Phil and Robin, having a grandchild is the most beautiful thing you ever experienced. We are parents of two adult daughters (36 and 33 years old) and since four years grandparents of a litte girl named Fay. From the moment she was born we were totaly in love. We are very lucky because from the time she was three months old, we baby sitted every Sunday till Monday evening. It is great building such a close relationship with such a precious child. Now she reached the age of four and she has to go to school. She doesn’t live near by so at the moment our baby sitting is over. Only during holidays we can spend time with her. A you can imagine w’re looking forward for those times. Being a grandma or granddad is much different from being a parent. Ofcourse we love our daughters very deeply and we enjoyed the time they lived with us, but this is like a gift. So I wish you and your wife great times with this litte girl and you know as well as I do, you must not spoil a child, but it is so difficult not doing this with your grandchild. I hope this little girl will grow up in a peacefull envirement with lots of caring and loving people around her. By the way I’am a great fan of your shows, they are on daily basis her on Dutch television. Wishing you and your family all the best. Regards Ati Koopman, Zandvoort/nearby Amsterdam.

10. Rosie says:

She is a beautiful little angel,and very lucky to have the parents and grand-parents that she is blessed enough to have!!!!I would love to watch her grow into a young woman ,out of six grandsons I have only one awesome granddaughter and she is a beauty ,but my grandsons are alsp a gift from God,I only wish they were blessed enough to have the grandparents Avery has!!!!!God bless your family in every way!!!!!!

11. Janey says:

Both of you are truly blessed. I will never have a grandchild so I won’t know how happy you must feel. I can’t believe it’s Avery’s 1st birthday already! I do remember the pictures you had on your page and how you first brought her on the show. You’re right, she is the cutest thing youv’e ever seen. I can’t wait to see your show on the 28th of March that will show how current things are going with her. She is so cute, she should have her picture on greeting cards that welcome other baby girls into the world or that are for the birthdays of 1 year olds. I know you will have a wonderful life watching this beautiful little girl grow up. How fun that will be!