May 7th, 2010 by Dr. Phil

Your First Look at My Grandchild

averyFor those of you who might be wondering if I’m finally getting over my giddiness about being a grandfather, I have just one thing to say: “I AM JUST GETTING STARTED! SHE IS AS CUTE AS A SPECKLED PUP!”

On Thursday’s show, the littlest McGraw made her first appearance on our stage. I am so toast! HA! I’m telling you now; I’m putty in her tiny hands! She smiled at me yesterday; I promise she did! When Avery Elizabeth McGraw is in the room — I can’t tell if she is giggling and cooing at me, or is it me at her? With Robin in the room, we are a chorus to be sure. She truly was put on earth to be a grandmother.

I also have to say how very proud I am of Jay and Erica as first-time parents. My daughter-in-law is thriving as a mother. For a window into the depth of this young mother’s loving soul, I only have to repeat one thing she said: “When I look at Avery, I can’t help think how I will ever thank her enough for the joy she has brought to my life.” That says it all about her as a mother. And Jay is having the time of his life with his baby girl. It seems as though he has been doing this for years, not just a few weeks! Although there are times when I shake my head, still finding it hard to believe he’s a father — I admit, he’ll always be my little boy — he too loves his new role in life. I have no doubt that Avery will be brought up in a loving, nurturing and healthy household.

Avery’s also making her big debut on The Doctors on Tuesday. Plus, you can get a copy of the new People magazine. Their photographer, Alison Dyer, took an amazing photo of our little bundle of joy. I promise you, this child is about the cutest thing you’ll ever see!

161 Responses to “Your First Look at My Grandchild”

1. Chely says:

Congrats to Dr. Phil and Robin on that new bundle of joy…and of course to Jay and Erica for bringing such a beautiful baby in this world. God truly blessed your family with beautiful Avery! You all seem to glow in the presence of this angel! I pray for your family everyday and wish you all the very best!

Chely

PS: What’s with the mustache?! Did Avery ask you to do that? ;)

2. prefer anonymous says:

Congratulations and best wishes on your beautiful grandmother.
    Re the mustache – without it you look like a chemistry professor at one of the universities I went to.

3. Carmen West says:

Your granddaughter is the cutest thing. I have been waiting for years to be a grandma. Robin and you must be so proud of your son and daughter-in-law to bring such wonderful joy into your lives. I bet she melts you. I bet robin spoils her. Congratulations on your new addition.

4. Nelda Ryan says:

Phillip McGraw……let’s see you analyze your way out of this one!!! I hope that you are good and limber because you will be wrapped around Avery’s little finger. “You don’t know nuttin’ about little girls.” The little dresses, curly hair with hairbows and their flirtatious attitudes will surely suck you in. Honestly, I can picture you now just melting away when you get the smallest amount of attention from her.

I like the handle of Poppa; just don’t let her call you Poppa Doc (that won’t be well received around the world). Robin looks like a Mimi. Actually, as the first Grandchild, Avery will determine what the other grandchildren will call you.

When you have a “Favorite Fan Day,” I want to come see you, even though I live in Lake Park, Georgia (2 miles North of the Florida State line). I can hardly believe how long we have been Buddies. My best friend and I did not speak for nearly one year because of you. I have been in love with you since you started your show. At a weekend retreat of our friends, I wanted to watch your show on Friday afternoon. My friend advised everyone that she did not believe in “TV Psychiatry.” The rest of the weekend went down hill from there. I tried to explain that you don’t do 30 minute cures but you do give some good advice. After a year of silence, we buried the hatchet. Guess what???????? She is now a Dr. Phil fan also.

You guys are great!!! Robin is the luckiest girl in the world but WOW, look at her. I know that she makes you proud.

5. WANDA says:

i THINK DR. PHIL LOOKS YOUNGER WITHOUT HIS MUSTACHE. DOES ROBBIN LIKE IT?

6. dianne says:

There was talk about what Robin and you would be called, as grandparents.

My first grandchild was also an adorable baby girl, the light of my life, even after 6 others came along.

I made it a habit to read to Christine every chance that I had (daily) starting when she was just a few weeks old (yes) Our favorite book was “Baby’s First Book” which had wonderful bright pictures. As I read I would make comments such as, what the puppy says, see the ball, what does the kitty say, where is the cockoo clock, etc. We read this book so often and with delight her first word was KooKoo (even before mama and dada) at just a few months old. When her mother would ask her would see like to go to grandma’s house, she would answer KooKoo. The name stuck and needless to say the other children picked it up. Can you imagine what it is like to be in a store with 3 little girls, yelling Grandma Koo Koo where are you? I love it even today.

7. Anne says:

You looked so good holding Avery on the show. She has you wrapped around her finger. Never take any moment that you spend with her for granted. You never know when those will end.

8. hayley says:

She is precious!

9. Mike and Ginny McCarthy says:

DrPhil,
    Could you tell me what issue of People magazine that Averys photo shoot will be in
    thanks
    Mike & Ginny McCarthy

Galesburg,il

10. Blgspc says:

EARTH TO DR. PHIL! EARTH TO DR. PHIL! EARTH TO DR. PHIL!

You posted, “I am so toast!” And, someone else posted the observation that, “I saw the show, you’re way beyond toast….you’re croutons!” Right up until yesterday- before I watched Oprah- I was with the “croutons” remark. However, when I watched you have your signature mustache shaved OFF- ON LIVE TELEVISION- you crossed that VERY fine line between ‘croutons’ and ‘BREAD CRUMBS’! That’s right, fellow, I got chicken for baking and when I’m ready to bread it ALL I have to do is CALL YOU!!!
    Yep! And, that breeze you’re feeling under your nose is a naked upper lip!

You’ve Been Hooked By Little Avery! I’m telling you I see a -sooner-than-expected-PASTEL PINK Mercedes, in your JUNE future! A gift for a three month old, Avery!

Geez, this reminds me of the time when my- then 10 month old- niece was going to be visiting the Grand Strand from San Francisco. I had spoken with my sister who expressed concern that our father who raised us and believed in ‘popping’ tiny hands, as a correction, was worried. I said to MY twin sister, “Oh, for heaven sake! YOUR Father since he sold his Beach House, has Borrowed a friends Beach House for the Baby-S*******!” My sister just went on about the differences in her beliefs about discipline and that of our father. When I repeated my original statement to her. “Yes, Dear! I know that he has made those plans for us and I’m grateful!”
    I again stopped her and explained. “NO. NO. NO. You need to talk to your father again and mention YOUR belief that he made those arrangements for ANY ‘US’. Your father made THOSE arrangements for his first grandchild! NOT any ‘us’. Just for the baby. He felt that SHE deserved an Ocean Front View throughout her stay!”
    When my twin sister called me back, she was stunned! “You’re right! He even spoke of the fact that he was so delighted that we could come and be with, the baby! Gosh, who in the world did he think would be BRINGING ‘the baby’?!?”

Anyhow, after they arrived, my father would take this 10 month old out on the front porch to the swing. He sang to her. He pointed out the sea gulls. At one point, while my father was holding our 10 month old and talking to his son-in-law, she grabbed my father’s cheek and squeezed it to the size of a green pea. As he grimaced, in pain, his only response to that was, “Look how strong she is!” It was also during that visit that-because the baby patted his chest and pointed to a lit glass elevator on one of the nearby hotels that moved up and down the side of the structure and said, “TEE!” that convinced my father that his first grandchild was a Genius!

Bread Crumbs! I’m telling you, you men turn into Bread Crumbs, with your first grand baby’s!

Brenda ;-)

11. Barbara says:

My man,who is known as the poet,wrote this for all mom’s on mother’s day :)

MOTHERS

YOU ARE IN MY EVERY THOUGHT
    AND WHAT WOULD MAKE ME GLAD
    IS THAT THIS MOTHER’S DAY
    WOULD BE THE BEST YOU EVER HAD

BY ROBERT POTTIE

12. Nancy Ebner says:

Congratulations on your beautiful baby granddaughter. I’m a first time grandma too and feel exactly like Robin does. My little Lexie has become the center of my universe since her birth last summer. You are lucky that you live close enough to see her all the time. Mine lives 12hours away so I’m lucky to see her every couple of months. I’m finding it a challenge not to be an overprotective grandma because the rules on raising babies have changed much in the last 28 years. Enjoy every minute with Avery. They grow up so quickly.

13. bricher70 says:

Dear Dr.Phil and Robin,
    I know just how you feel about little Avery. First you are so proud of the parents your child and spouse who made this happen. Then you realize “hey I’m a grandparent”. There are no words to express that feeling.
    I can only say congratulations to Jay and Erica and to you and Robin. I know you will make the best Granparents and them the best parents.

She is such a precious and beautiful angel. I think she will definately be a Grandpa and Grandma’s girl. Much love to you and your famly.
    God bless you all.

14. Elin says:

Beautiful!
    I know about a very fine lulleby…can I put a link to it here?
    Wish the little one all the best and the same to her grandfather
    /Elin

15. I see and I know your joy; for, I now have six grandchildren – and, it only gets BETTER with each one. I was a bit concerned along the way because I ended up wth 5 grandsons (I have 2 sons, like you) and FINALLY had a granddaughter! I was in a very high place — all of those cute little “girlie” clothes!
    I wish both you and Robin continued joy with your brand new granddaughter – take lots of pics because they grow up way too fast! Give her lots of love and attention; for, she deserves the very best from you. Always remember that she is a precious gift to be nurtured and treasured; and, never, ever, miss those milestones.

16. bricher70 says:

By the way forgot to mention the mustache.
    I like you better with it. But I will I guess get used to it if Robin wants you to keep it off. LOol
    Love ya no matter what.

17. MyBigMouth says:

BEAUTIFUL !!!!!!

18. Judy Blake says:

Dr Phil and Robin:

She is so beatiful! I know she will be the source of many happy times in your family. It is so fun being a Grandmother enjoy every minute of it Robin.

Congraulations to all!

Judy Blake

19. Linda says:

She is beautiful! Congratulations to the McGraw and Dahm families.

20. Teri says:

As a new grandmother of a 10 month old baby boy, I can understand how you feel. I melt every time my grandson puts his arms up for me to pick him up. My heart skips a beat when he laughs. I miss him 2 minutes after I leave him and can never see him enough. This grandparent gig is the best!

21. Shari Ward says:

Hi and Congratulations to grandparents and parents!!

I have a name I think would be perfect for baby Avery to call her Grandfather–
    PoppaDoc. I just think it has the best sound to it! And I think Robin is a Grammie but Grandma is wonderful too!

She is indeed beautiful, what a heart breaker she is going to be!! God bless you all!

22. Joy Easton says:

Hi, Dr. Phil & Robin,

Avery Elizabeth is SO beautiful! I was excited to finally get to “meet” her on your show. I’m so happy & excited for your whole family! I didn’t have the honor of having children; it just never happened. But I’m delighted that Avery has such a wonderful family! And it was so cool that you surprised lovely Erica with her parents! :-D Jay & Erica are obviously wonderful parents, & Avery certainly has fantastic grandparents too! She’s so blessed with her family, as you are all incredibly blessed having her in your lives now. Congratulations on such a sweet & lovely grandbaby! I’m so happy for all of you! May God always bless & keep you all safe & healthy, especially beautiful Avery! :)

23. Deborah Reistetter says:

OK, let me make this simple! I have the perfect pairing of the names that Avery (and any more grandkids yet to be!) can call you. Just as you (Robin) had the name “Pip” pop into your mind while you were on stage, the following day I had YOUR “grandma name” pop into mine! How about “Birdie and Pip!!” Because your name is “Robin”…get it?! (Of course you do!LOL!) I actually loved the “Pip” name!
    I think both names go hand in hand! Enjoy your granddaughter, I think she’s totally adorable!

24. Congratulations to the entire McGraw family on your beautiful new addition. When Dr. Phil was holding little Avery and she opened her eyes and looked at the audience. I became a puddle on the floor. I absolutely melted! What a perfect angel she is! My best to all of you.

25. Barbara Whetzel says:

Congratulation to ALL of YOU!!! What a beautiful little Angel she is. I know how you feel as 17 years ago my first grand daughter was born…now in less than three weeks she will be graduating from high school. Can’t tell you how fast those years have flown by. Enjoy all the special moments with her from kissing those sweet little cheeks, feet and bum to the many, many memorable things she will do. She will bring so much joy to all of you….I have been totally blessed with 3 beautiful daughters who in turn gave me…….13 grand children……they are all so precious to me.

We all out here in tv land so enjoy you and yours and all the joy you bring to our lives. God has blessed us with you…

Love Ya, Barbara W.

26. mimi ross says:

I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYONE BEAM AS MUCH AS THIS NEW GRANPA. AND Y NOT..”SPECKLED PUP, CUTE” ? THIS IS WITHOUT A DOUBT THE MOST GORGEOUS INFANT I HAVE EVER SEEN. I DON’T MEAN THE GET UP BUT THAT FACE- ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!!! CONGRATS pHIL AND ROBIN..U SO DESERVE HER…U R NOW NEW PEOPLE WITH NEW LIVES AHEAD…… MAY THIS OVERWHELMING LOVE BE FOREVER IN YOUR PRESENCE..

27. mimi ross says:

TO DARLENE ON THE JEALOUSY ISSUE: NOT SO. THE OTHER GRANDCHILDREN WILL BE OH SO PROUD NOT JEALOUS ATALL. MY SISTERWAS GORGEOUS BABY AND I WAS THE PROUD OLDER SISTER ALLOF MYLIFE. UNFORTHNATELY THIS DID NOT FARE ME WELL IN MATURITY. BUT I KNOW THRU THE mCgRAW FAMILY THIS PRIDE WILLCARRY THRU FOREVER.

28. Stephanie Bennett says:

A BIG CONGRATULATIONS to all your family. Its the most beautiful time in everyones life surrounding lil Avery. We all know you guys will be the best grandparent with lots of love to give. no doubt she’ll be the lil princess. they are so precious. she’s beautiful absolutly!!! so happy for your whole family. She did well. cant believe 30 hrs labour poor girl. she looked amazin thou and always will. well done all of you. The highlight of my day is watchin your show Phil. i have a 2yr old girl and 8 week old girl. Sienna and Melody and i just love them to bits. luckily their both asleep thou when your show is on lol :D its my time.

29. Beth Fischer says:

I want to congradulate the McGraw family for their first grandbaby Avery. I saw the show she is an angel and really adorable. I have been a viewer of the Dr. Phil show for a long time. I have read his books and Robin’s. I also saw them in Philadelphia. Dr. Phil and Robin are caring people to everyone. God Bless your whole family. Beth

30. Linda says:

a “little peanut”

31. Gwen says:

What a joy to be a grandparent. I have 13 grandchildren already and even though I have not met some of them I still feel a love for them . I wish we could all be together at least one time. But I know God will fill my dream one day as he has in the past. All children are a precious gift and should be treated as such. All beautiful in their own way. And you can give them back to the parents when they are having a bad day. But it is so much easier to cope with them when you are a grandparent. I love them all. Avery will have the best in love and caring of any child there is because she has a solid foundation behind as parents and grandparents alike. Congratulations.

32. Anne says:

I unfortunately missed the show introducing your beautiful granddaughter, but after seein her on here and reading your story, I just need to tell you that I have recently, (Nov. 9th, ‘09) and (April 9th, ‘10) have become a GREAT-GRANDMOTHER. Just so you know, you will feel the same with each and every one as they come along. It’s so beautiful and awesome to see the start of each one and watch them grow. I love all of my children, grandchildren and now my greatgrandchldren with all my heart. It’s amazing how huge your heart becomes as each one arrives. Congratulations and have a wonderful time with your lovely Avery. Anne

33. Ruby says:

That brought back so many memories. What a special moment to see grandpa and grandma holding the best thing life has to offer. I also waited a long time to get my first grand child. That was 16 1/2 years ago. I also spent another milestone this week. He took me grandma and grandpa for their first ride in his very own car….I don’t know who was beaming the most Him or Us??????? I now have four girls and four boys.
    It has been the most special blessing in our lives. And they all have a very special place in our hearts. We hold our children’s hand for a while but their hearts forever..Have Fun and God bless all of you!!!!!!!

34. Dr. Phill,

Congratulations on your new Granddaughter!!! She is beautiful and I must say she has a beautiful given name, but her middle name is very special to me and handed down from my grandmother (Elizabeth) to me, and I handed it to my daughter, Tera, whose birthday is March 18, back in ‘77. So, we have something in common! God has blessed you with a “special little angel.” I have 2 special blessings, 2 grandsons, in Rio Rancho, NM. Just saw the older one last week.

I enjoy your show and receive a blessing from it! You look younger without the mustach.

God bless you in all your accomplishments.

In christ,

Sharon

35. Kala Eaton says:

WOW look at this precious gift god has sent to your family… She could not have recieved a better set of parents and grandparents… I know you could not be more excited about that bundle of joy… she is just gorgeous.

Happy Mothers Day!!!!

36. Tracie Snyder says:

She is beautiful. Remember when my kids were born. Congratulations.

37. Debbie says:

I want to congratulate you on your new addition in the family. She is beautiful!!!! I do need to be honest though. On the show you said that she was the most beautiful baby you ever seen. Well, I would have to say she is not in my eyes since I just had my baby girl on 4/23!!!! My daughter is the most beautiful baby I have ever seen!!!! She is also my first child!!!!

I do think it is awesome that the triplet women got pregnant at about the same time and they all gave birth to girls!!!! I can tell by watching the show, that every single grandparent is going to spoil that little girl–just like the grandparents in this family is going to spoil my little girl. Congratulations on the miracle. Every baby is a gift of God!!!!

38. wilma says:

AGreat job!! She is a very pretty girl and She’s in good hands , can see that the whole family is proud and have a lots of love for her . Congratulation i’m very happy for al of you.

Lots of love from me, from the netherlands …..

39. MAITSA says:

CONGRADULATIONS GRANDMA AND GRANDPA MCGRAW (SPELLING?)
    SHE IS A PRINCESS, AND WILL BE AND SHOULD BE TREATED LIKE A PRINCESS. CONGRADULATIONS TO ALL OF YOU.
    MAY GOD KEEP HER SAFE.
    I ALWAYS BELIEVE THERE IS A SEPRATE GOD FOR CHILDREN!

40. Jennifer says:

Hey Dr.Phil,

Your new granddaughter is so cute. Congradulation i bet you will both be wonderful grand parents she will be one lucky little girl. Of course Dr.Phil she will have you wrapped around her little finger, but that’s ok. She is beautiful and i hope you enjoy her in your life!!!!!

Congradualtions

Jennifer
    age:17
    Canada

41. jULIE hALTON says:

I agree that little Avery is the cutest baby I have ever seen. Well, with the exception of MY granddaughter!

42. Linda Rose says:

Avery is a beautiful baby and you and Robin will be great grandparents! Erica’s parents are lucky too with triplet cousins for grand daughters! That should be much fun!

By the way Dr.Phil I like you WITHOUT the mustache! You just got several years younger in looks! Robin does alot to keep looking young and now it is your turn! Now you BOTH are at least ten years younger! Or maybe IT IS THAT PRECIOUS GRAND DAUGHTER GIVING YOU BOTH A YOUTHFUL GLOW!

43. Lisette says:

Congratulations and God Bless your entire family…She is beautiful.. All girls should have a grandpere like you! I’m willing to bet that on her 2nd birthday she’ll be wearing a Princess Dress! Hope you continue to keep us updated on her growth !

44. Betty says:

Just a warning to Robyn. When I got my first grandchild, every time I changed her diaper, I kissed her little re-diapered bottom and nibbled her toes. I was such a sweet, precious time and I loved every moment of it all.

45. Carole Yerrick says:

I was so glad I was able to watch the show when you intrduced little Avery.
    She is so beautiful. I felt the same excitement 23 years ago when our first
    granddaughter was born. I think you decided to shave your mustach
    Dr Phil so when you snuggled with little Avery it would not tickle her. You
    will make such a wonderful grandpa!

46. Ally says:

Just wanted to say Congratulation’s to all of You…What a Beautiful Baby Avery is,God Sure Blessed this family and Avery is One Lucky Little Girl!
    Take Care and Wish You All The Best,God Bless,Each and Everyone of You!
    Your Beautiful Family just got a lot Happier…:O)
    Love and Hugs Ally

47. Marthina says:

Hi Dr Phil.
    Can´t you come to Sweden or Norway and do a program?
    I love your show, and it would be funny if you have others then americans on the show…

xoxo
    Marthina

48. Victoria ODonnell says:

Dr. Phil and Robin,
    Avery is a beautiful baby. I had my first grandchild July 29, 2008. She also is a real beauty from the moment she was born. It is hard for me because they live in another state and it’s about a 6-7 hour drive. So, I am missing a lot. The first two years is SO important and I am watching her through pictures. I can feel the love you feel for Avery. It is instant and deep. My granddaughters’ name is Grace Katharine. As far as what she should call you, she will let YOU know. She will come up with just the right name. It will be whatever she can say. My daughter called my parents Mamaw and Papaw. It’s not easy to say Grandma or Grandpa at first. But she will get there. She will bring you so much joy. I have watched your show every and I feel like I am part of you family. When Erica brought Avery out, I cried.
    I know the love you feel. There is nothing like it. Congratulations to Jay and Erika and you and Robin and Jordon. God bless all of you. And I will continue to watch your show each day. I love it and I love all of you.

Victoria from Virginia.

49. Sil Jackson says:

What a beautiful baby! You are all truly blessed. Too bad there are so many babies that will never know the love and attention you all will shower on her. God has truly blessed you all.

50. Teri Wynia says:

I am so happy for you and Robin! I know she will be one spoiled little girl!