June 16th, 2010 by Dr. Phil

Wrapped around Her Finger

avery_1

Had a great time at a picnic this past weekend. Baby Avery was all smiles. Robin posted this photo of Avery, our daughter-in-law Erica and me on Twitter, and when we posted it on Facebook, the response was overwhelming. I just love reading your comments. To all the grandparents who responded, yes, I am wrapped around her little finger!

57 Responses to “Wrapped around Her Finger”

1. Kristin says:

Dear DrPhil~
    My name is Kristin and we need help for my child. I was in a very absive marriage and had the couage to walk away.I got away from the beating, the punches, the wipping, and the bruises. The worst was he choked me to the point I blacked out. When I came to I was beatin and bruised. I needed to leaveand I got to 2 best things in my life out of that house. So proud! I took the 16 hour drive to Yorkville, IL on December 31st. My children are my world heart and , my rock, my soul. I moved in with my sister Angel, her husband Bill, Bry (13), Kylie (5), Zack (4) and Cole 18 months.. Then there is mine Aiden who is 2 and Danika is 1.My sister moved into a nice house BUT my son Aiden has very bad ashtma and cant breath in the basement were we stay. Treatments havent been working.I want to know if you could find it in your heart to help me.I am a single mother who cant find any help me. If I had family to ask I would have asked.I was raped(54 stitches up inside), my parents turned there backs on me,beatings, the bruises, and the pain.My kids are the best thing that ever happened to me I think I would have given up if it werent for them. I am not asking for a manison (thats not me), I need to clean it ..lol I am asking for alittle help, a hero, somebody just to take some weight off my shoulders. I am a mother before student, I am a mother before I am Kristin. I wont stop writing, I wont stop blogging to find someone to help me. I need help and I hate admitting that heck any mother doesnt want to admitshe cant take care of one of her children. I care for him in every other wayYou would be saving my sons life and you would help me breath easy knowing my baby boy can breath and we will be safe. Please thank you for listening to my story. Your friend and fan Kristin

2. sharon says:

Dear Phil, (aka thorougly wrapped grandpa…told ya so) ;)

I absolutely LOVE this pic, and wanted to say so earlier (but I don’t tweet or do facebook), so thanks for including it in this blog. Her smile at you is worth more than millions. She knows how loved she is, I’d be smiling at ya too. I’m glad God has blessed you all with this precious little gem. May each new day grow sweeter.

hugs and prayers (and thanks again for your prayers too. needed and valued)

sharon

P.S. please thank sweet Robin for all the pics shared…melts me every time. :)

3. Elin says:

Very nice picture!
    Beautiful people!!
    The world just like beautiful peoples!!
    So Dr. Phil I have a question for you:
    What shall an ugly person do to get on with the life?
    I’m the ugglyest person on this planet!!
    I saw evidence on that to day! Someone took a picture of me!
    So why shall I go on living??
    There is something I don’t understand:
    Why do I look different in the mirror than on a photo??
    I don’t know how I look like….
    Am I so uggly as it seems on pictures??
    I don’t know!!!
    I don’t understand that people talk to me as I was normal??
    I don’t know how they can look at me and don’t give me strange looks!?
    I DON’T KNOW!!!!!!
    I don’t want to end my life yet!!
    But I don’t want to go out anymore either!!…….
    What shall I do Dr. Phil? Plastic surgery??
    Take care of yourself and your grand daughter….
    You are such a proud grandfather! :)
    greetings from Elin…(the beast)

4. jennifer says:

Dr. Phil- Avery is so cute. Wait until she is up & walking. Then the true fun will begin. I miss those days with my own kids when they were toddlers. You & Robin enjoy yourselfs with her as I’m sure & see you already do. :-) Children are such a blessing.

5. TCarter says:

Love this pic, Dr. Phil! What an adorable family! I couldn’t help but smile…

6. FosterBoys says:

From some of the comments that Robin has made on her twitpics, it sounds like she doesn’t get to see baby Avery very much. How’s she holding up?

7. I can see why and how.

Coffee is on

8. Blgspc says:

I was looking at Avery’s face to see what she was thinking. Her face and eyes seem to be saying, ‘Oh, WOOK! The fish I hooked is BACK! I wonder if he has ordered my Pink Mersedes, yet? All I have to do is smile or chuckle and THERE he is! This guy really cracks me up. I do the sweet baby routine and he just eats it up! It’s like shooting fish in a barrel! (I hope someone reminds him that I want cream-colored leather interiors in that Mersedes!)’

On a more serious note, Avery seems to have some important things on the back burner. ‘Currently, I’m trying to decide if I want straight hair like my mom or curly hair like my dad. I suppose THE MOST IMPORTANT THING- looking at this fellow- is to remember that I DO WANT HAIR!!! For us girls, hair can be used as leverage at any age! Right Now, I’m leaning toward blonde but hey, as long as it’s HAIR…know what I’m saying, here? Also, I mean….I’m in Hollywood….He’s in show business….I don’t mind STARTING OFF with commercials before moving into Serious Acting but more than anything I want to Direct!’ Ha!

BG

9. Linda Baker says:

I asked my 7 year old Grandson, Gabe, if he wanted to spend the afternoon with me the other day. His response was -Yes, I would be honored! May your family enjoy your little one as much as I enjoy my three grandchildren. Have fun,
    Linda

10. Elizabeth says:

Dear Dr.Phil,

I love that picture of you and Avery and mommy. Congratulations on your growing family.

I was wondering if you could do a show on miscarriages? It’s the one thing i’ve found as an adult that most people brush off as not important. I have two babies in heaven and have one here with me. People seem to think because I have my son that I should be thankful and stop grieving for my lost babies. I liked the show you did on post partum depression which, I had very bad after the birth of my son. It still affects me to this day but, i’m coping and holding my head up high. I just feel that it is important for people to understand that losing a baby prior to full term birth (even 4 months gestation) is that same as losing them after full term birth or any age. That a mother who loses her baby prior to full term should be treated with love, respect and diginity instead of acting liek she should “just get over it”.
    Thanks for listening.
    Elizabeth

11. Thank you Dr. Phil. This is an absolutely precious picture of Avery, Erica and You… Did you see the cute reply to picture after this darling picture of Avery where someone said Avery was practicing to be on Dancing With The Stars? I hope Robin saw since Robin has said that she loves the series DWTS.

AVERY ELIZABETH MCGRAW
    (acrostic poem)

1 st Child of Jay and Erica McGraw
    1 st Grandchild to Dr. Phil and Robin
    3 0 year life journey has lead Jay to being a Daddy
    3 rd baby in 2010 if you count Mommy’s 2 triplet sisters’ babies

P. is for pink in Avery’s little pink cheeks
    M. is for Mother that Mother to be Erica just became

M any people around the world welcoming
    A very Elizabeth with prayers of abundant blessings
    R eal blessing personified to parents & both sets of grandparents
    C aptured her family’s hearts from the moment her life began and for always
    H ALLELUJAH! AVERY ELIZABETH IS HERE…

1 8th of March, 2010, is “Absolutely Incredible Kid Day” & Avery’s Birthday too
    8 =’s 1+1+3+3 and if you undo the math that’s a very special time of 11:33
    T ime to celebrate this AMAZING GRACE BLESSED EVENT
    H ALLELUJAH! AVERY ELIZABETH IS HERE…

2 cousins in 2010 named Chanel & Charlie to play with
    0 h what a joy these three babies now bring
    1 st surprise of many surprises directing her 1st debút on her own clock
    0 ffering up prayers of thanksgiving for Avery’s happy and healthy birth day

(Luke 3:18 GOD’S WORD Translation: “With many other encouraging words, he told the Good News to the people.”)

12. Diane says:

Dr. Phill, I am so proud for you and Robin. The most precious thing in life is grandchildren, but when you are the grandchild the most precious thing in life is grandparents. I have been both places in life. My grandparents were the most special people you could ever know. Now that I am a grandmother of two beautiful grandsons they are the most precious things in the world. It is truely unbelieveable how much you can love a grandchild. You just think you loved your children until you have the grands and then you know what loving a child really is. My grandsons are 6 and 7 years old. The 6 year old was born with Hypo-Plastic left heart, meaning the left side of his heart did not develop. He has had three open heart surgerys and a stroke that left him partially paralized. He is an angel. My husband and I live our lives for those boys. I hope you and Robin never have to go through what my family has gone through this past year. Our grandsons stayed with us every minute we were not at work until my son and daughter-in-law got a divorce. When the boys were in an unstable environment my son carried his X back to court for full custody. Now she keeps them away from us. We can’t even tell them goodnight. And guess what?? Grandparents have no rights!! So look at little Avery and imagine not getting to tell her goodnight. Our system is crazy!! Love her like there is no tomorrow!!!! Make good memories with her so that one day she will say the most special people in the world are my grandparents!!!!

13. Laura says:

I was watching your show with your grandaughter and you were discussing what she should call you. My dad who was the best dad ever did not like the grandpa name so I remebered my best friend call her grandfather Papu and my dad loved it. Unfortunally my dad passed away 10/31/06 but he got many compliments on the name Papu and I thought maybe that you would like the suggestion. I hope I helped.

14. Desley says:

Dear Dr Phil

I hope you love you grandchild a lot. I lost my mother on the 12/03/2010 and I miss her a lot she was my best friend and the best mum in the world so love you grandchild as much as you can.Robin adore your grand child a lot My name is Desley and I live in Australian North Queenland in the town called Mackay near a love beach. I hope you love Avery a lot

Loves
    Desley

15. sharon says:

Dear Phil,

Happy Father’s Day! It was this time last year I discovered, even wrote you on, your blog so just wanted to say God BLESS you & your family today and thanks.

sharon

16. Jennie Colvin says:

Hi Dr. Phill,
    Just wanted you to know, that I too have an Avery. She is 11, fun and well, fits her name!!! I love that Avery is not an overly used name. Maybe one day they will meet!! Have fun.
    Jennie

17. Becky says:

Being a grandparent – priceless

18. Irene In SD says:

Hello!
    Welcome to Grandpahood!
    What a beautiful picture of the 3 of you and all those pics that have been posted!
    I am the proud grandma of 2 of the most precious grandkids ever–Alexis and Austin!
    I always knew I wanted to be a Mother, but never knew there could be so much more love being a Grandma!

Enjoy your wonderful little Avery—she will grow up too fast right before your eyes!

Have a wonderful time, and hugs go out to you and all your family! (HI ROBIN!!)
    Wishing you all of God’s Blessings!
    ~Irene

19. sharon says:

Dear Phil,

It was one year ago today you kindly reached out to me in my personal pain and grief and prayed for me. Only God knows how timely it was. So just wanted to say thank you! I’m still hoping for the day I can report to ya good news about God blessing me with my own family. Ya never know. God bless you and yours.

“Kind words are like honey, sweet to the mind and healing to the body”. (Proverbs 16:24)

sending love, hugs and prayers to you all,

sharon

P.S. the baby monitor pic made me smile. it’s ATV…all Avery, all the time. ;)

P.S.S. congrats to Jay and everyone on The Doctors on their emmy win too! :)

20. Kate says:

haha Dr.Phil,

even when you share happy moments.. that what you get “problems problems problems” from people…

but yaaaaaaaaaaaay such a beautiful baby.. cute cute cute : ) I still wonder why people have problems if there are angels on earth as those little creatures..only one moment with them and everything gets better lol

21. Baneen says:

Wow so nice doctor ..~

22. sandy says:

Grandchildren are God’s compensation for getting older

23. Amy says:

OMG Dr. Phil I love the way Avery is looking at you! Having girls myself I can tell you the older she gets the more you will be wrapped. Congrats to your son and his wife on their baby girl. That is so cool you get to experience having a girl Dr. Phil and Robin!

24. carolyn says:

I envy you to be able to enjoy your granddaughter so much. Im still fighting to get mine home her mom gave her up for adoption after she was born…She was a year old on June 1st 2010 and have yet to see or hold her. You and Robin both need to cherish these moments

25. Susan Sacca says:

Dear Dr. Phil,

It is so priceless to look at the picture of you and your daughter-in-law and your sweet granddaughter!……………..Of course as a grandparent we can never “spoil” a child enough…
    However “material” possessions will never be what your precious granddaughter will have…It will be the time and attention and doeting that you and Robin bestow on sweet AVERY!~

JAY and Erica are so blessed to have you and Robin as Your

Granddaughters/Grandparents along with Erica’s parents!

As a Daddy you know how quickly TIME goes so please cherish every single moment.
    xox
    S

26. Russell Vlaanderen says:

Russell Say Vlaanderen. I think Avery and Doctor Phil and Robin are having fun. And-
    I would not forget Erica and Jay, Jordan McGraw aswell. Fourth Happy July Of. I kn-
    ow about kids because I love kids myself. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.

27. Joanell Phillips says:

Just wanted to say Happy 4th of July to you and your family. I took my 22 mo. old grandson to the fireworks last night and he LOVED them! I never tthought I could love anything as much as my children but…..he sure has my heart! They live only 3 min. from me so I am very blessed. Thanks.

28. I so knew she would have you wrapped around her little finger. My little grandaughter has me wrapped around hers. She will be 4 on Aug.29. 2010 and is the absolute apple of my eye. I just love her to the moon and back. I always told my son he would not truly know how much I loved him, until he had a child of his own…….Now he knows. Now I say to him, you will never know how much I love Madison Jade until you have your own grand-child. Oh yes, I do have enough love for them both and also for my beautiful daughter-in-law. Enjoy every second, I know I do.

29. I so knew she would have you wrapped around her little finger. My little grandaughter has me wrapped around hers. She will be 4 on Aug.29. 2010 and is the absolute apple of my eye. I just love her to the moon and back. I always told my son he would not truly know how much I loved him, until he had a child of his own…….Now he knows. Now I say to him, you will never know how much I love Madison Jade until you have your own grand-child. Oh yes, I do have enough love for them both and also for my beautiful daughter-in-law. Enjoy every second, I know I do.

30. Kana M. Golic says:

All smiles here. Life is precious & priceless. McGraw family, enjoy every moment!!!

31. Cathie Karls says:

Spend as much time as you can with your grandchild. As she grows into adulthood she will forget you, just like our children and our grandchildren. Why, we don’t know. We didn’t abuse them, we did out best. We tried to give them as much as we could. We were parents first then tired to be friends. We gave them money when our own parents died and left us alittle money. Where did we go wrong? It seems that we are not the only ones. Our friends have the same problems. They never hear from their children or grandchildren either. They have lives of their own, we understand that, but when they don’t have time to pick up the phone or to send a birthday card, it really hurts.

32. Ellen Grems says:

Hi Dr. Phil,

There is one thing better than being a Grandparent and that is being a great-Grandma. There smiles and laughs, and everyday innocence is such a blessing. Enjoy every moment.

33. Yvonne Kenworthy says:

Wow! How precious is that baby!!! It is remarkable how alert and happy and personable she is at such a young age. Mom is beautiful and vital, Grandpa is a happy camper with the “little keeper” Avery. I have six grandchildren and a great-grandson, from four years old to a 25 year old grand daughter who just received her Masters and is now a college instructor at a major university. So yes, Dr. Phil and Robin they grow and develop so quickly and each and every phase is better than the other, if that is possible.

God bless all of you,

Yvonne

34. Barbara Deck says:

That is a great picture! Look at the way Avery is flirting with you. You are wrapped around her finder – and rightfully so. Grandparent are sooooh important.

35. hgammonj says:

dr phil ,i have 7 g children all are beautiful & healthy. they range from 14-32 the oldest is in the navy.i have a prob feeling warm & fuzzy w/them cant really say i ever had this feeling 4 anyone. what is wrong w/me? i am 70 years old.i respect u very much sincere,H.

36. Between my husband and I, we have ten children, 21 grandchildren and 21+ (and counting) great grandchildren. Having a grandchild was so wonderful and having great grandchildren is even more wonderful. They are all precious no matter how old they get! Luckily for us, we are young for our age – we still have pool parties and BBQs or just get togethers. Life is wonderful especially when you are retired. I can see the look on both you and Avery’s face of total love.

37. Pat the poet Robinson says:

The heart of a Man/Dr> Phil
    We see his face. We see he stands strong in his place.
    We see his need to reach out-then for the first time a baby girl shouts.
    From the womb she screams-and this kind of love was never in Dr. Phil’s dreams.
    Dr. Phil has a need-to help others succeed.
    To help others be who they are-and to allow our selves to know who we are.
    He reaches down to get the best-gentlelly he makes us confess.
    Makes us say-what really happened to us that day.
    As Dr. does his job-this little girl is stealing his heart.
    She’s taking it piece by piece, ban by ban-this is what a grand daughter does to the heart of a man. By Patricia Robinson-7/14/10-9:25am

38. skip2mylulu says:

What a beautiful baby! Enjoy your granddaughter. Im excited because My nephew and his wife are having a baby. Im going to be a grandaunt! Im going to crochet a blanket for the new bundle of joy.

39. randy says:

i reckon being a granparent is the best thing ever.

lucky for me am not a mom yet. but sadly enough i lost both my parents so my kids won’t have granparents. sad huh? yeah thats life.
    i guess they’ll jus have to live the way i do.

thanx for the lovely pic. may god bless you and your family

40. Dawn Santos says:

Dr. Phil an Robin did youal fin out what the nic names Avery is going 2 start callin you when she starts talkin Well, Robin she should call u Nannie an Dr. Phil Avery should call u popa. My 18tn yr old calls my mom Nana, my 16tn yr old calls her the same thing an my 2yr old daughter calls her Nannie

41. Dawn Santos says:

Dr. phil I love watching your show, especialy when you had the “DR.PHIL FAMILY” I followed the show for about a month. Alex needs to make her mind up when it comes 2 her children. Alex’s ex-husband is SEXXXXY, Fine LOOOKKKing. I think she still loves him. If she hates her mom that much she should get her a– 2gether. I hope u do an up date on then

42. DeeAnn says:

I really think you ought to teach avery to play tennis. It would be great for your relationship with her. Obviously dont do it with the whole intention of making her a star but make it something she does with grandpa. my dad had no idea what to do with me during my teen years because i’m a girl and he’s a guy and i happened upon his book. it ended up we liked the same author and we ended up sharing that same interest to this day. he still gets those books every fathers day and birthday.

she’s a cutie pie!

43. Ann says:

Dr. Phil:
    All I have to say about you and little Avery is this: If she has you wrapped around her little finger now…..You are in BIG TROUBLE, MISTER!!!!!

44. Diane Northrup says:

People think being a grandparent makes you old. I beg to differ, they make you young again I love the pic of the three of you. I am a 65 year old gramma of 14 including twin girls which helped even up the score. Three years ago I was in the hospital with emphysema considered terminal due to 9 lung collapses. They were sending me home on hospice. My daughter-in-law laid my 6-month old grandson next to me on the hospital bed. I watched him looking around and cooing and I said God I want to see him walk and hear him talk. My husband is a truckdriver so they moved in with us to help out. That was three and a half years ago and I’m no longer on hospice but on long term care. I love all of my grandchildren, but that little boy is so special and we have a special relationship. Sometimes he gets to go in the big rig with “papa” and of course loves it! How does papa sound for Avery to call you?

45. nancy says:

The picture you posted here is really beautiful. Your grand-daughter is so pretty.
    I still remember the times when my grandfather picked me up from kindergarden. Took me for ice-cream at a ice-cream shop called ” North Pole ” Also the times when I sat on his lap and he read to me. The times when I had walks with him and whenever I stopped and held a toy or anyting for more than a few minutes, he would bought it for me. Please do some of that to your grand daughter, because it will leave warm tender memories with her for a life time.

46. Jackie says:

Thank Robin for the wonderful picture . It is so great to see such love among family. So many in this world wish they could have such love and dedicated family. You let that little girl wrap your finger around her as she is blessing from God and should be cherised as a wonderful gift

47. I don’t understand why I am getting this message to verify that I agree to the
    Terms of Use. I just want to get in touch with Dr. Phil. thank you for passing this on to him.

48. april lamb says:

I REALLY LOVED THAT PICTURE OF YOU AND YOUR FIRST GRANDCHILD IT’S LIKE HEAVEN ON EARTH. I KNOW WHEN MY 2 BOYS WERE THAT AGE THAT THEY HAD ME WRAPPED AROUNDTHEIR FINGERS TOO. I WISH THAT I COULD GO BACK AND DO THAT NOW WITH MY TWO BOYS. MY BOYS DON’T LIVE WITH ME AS OF RIGHT NOW BECAUSE I’M A VERY BRITTLE INSULIN DEPENDENT DIABETIC AND RIGHT NOW I HAVE TO BE WATCHED TWENTY FOURS HOURS A DAY. I’M A VERY SICK YOUNG WOMAN. BUT WHEN I DO GET BACK ON MY FEET I’M GOING TO FIGHT TO GET MY 2 KIDS BACK. THEY ARE NOT IN THE SYSTEM THEY ARE WITH FAMILY MEMBERS. I’M NOT TOO WORRIED ABOUT MY YOUNGEST SON BECAUSE I KNOW THAT HE IS WELL TAKEN CARE OF. IT’S MY OLDEST SON THAT SCARES ME TO DEATH ABOUT WHAT MY EX MOTHER IN LAW IS DOING TO MY SON. HE’S ONLY NINE YEARS OLD AND HE IS A VERY SICK YOUNG BOY. HE HAS ADHD, MILD TO MODERATE RETARDATION, AND HE’S AUTISTIC. BUT I KNOW THAT HE IS DEPRESSED BECAUSE HE’S NOT WITH ME. HE MUCH RATHER BE WITH ME THAN HIS OWN FATHER. BUT THE PERSON THAT HAS HIM WON’T LET ME TALK OR SEE HIM. I HAVE VISITATION RIGHTS AND I GET TO SEE HIM EVERY OTHER WEEKEND AND GETTO KNOW WHAT SPORTS HE’S IN, WHAT SCHOOL HE’S IN, WHERE HE IS LIVING BUT I DON’T HAVE ANY OF THAT INFOMATION BECAUSE MY EX MOTHER IN LAW WON’T GIVE ME THE INFORMATION. I’M AT A LOSS OF WHAT TO DO. I’M SO WORRIED ABOUT HIM HE’S ALSO ON MEDICATION, AND I THINK HE GETS DISABILITY FOR HIS SICKNESSES BUT I THINK THAT MY EX MOTHER IN LAW IS ONLY WANTING HIM SO SHE CAN GET THE MONEY. SHE DOESN’T CARE ABOUT HIM AT ALL, IT’S JUST THE MONEY. PLEASE HELP I’M IN DESPERATE NEED

49. Dr. Phil, 23 years ago, I smoked some crack and afterwards molested my cousin whom at the time was seven years of age. After being released from prison, I moved into an apartment with a woman who knew about my conviction. Approximately 3 weeks after moving into my apartment, my lady friend’s neice was left on the ground in front of our door by her mother (whom was on crack). I was left alone to take care of her. This was a moment from God! I knew this was a moment to help me to recover from guilt and shame. This was a moment to help me with the process of forgiving myself. As I changed her pamper, I remember thinking “what would a father do in a situation like this?” I remember thinking about how sick it would be for a man to touch a minor inappropriatley. It was a strange moment for me. I remember feeling a lot of gratitude. I remember how difficult it was for me to look a child in the eyes. It was hard for me to look into the eyes of little boys and girls; even though I’ve never molested/thought about molesting a little boy. It was difficult for me to connect with my grandaughter. Today she is six years old; and we have a beautiful relationship. I love my grandaughter! I call her “grandsugar”. After 23 years, I am still being condemned by most of society. I guess I can live to be one-thousand years old and this charge will never be expunged fom my record. I’ve gone to apply for jobs of which I know I qualify for; but the prior conviction prohibits. I go to different support groups where I share this experience. I’ve told the Pastor of my church. Some people reject me; and some people embrace and thank me. I’ve had the opportnity to make ammends with my Aunt. She said she forgave me a long time ago. Thank God she is a Christian! I’ve made one attempt to make ammends with my cousin. I will make another one soon. I did a little research on pedophiles and child molesters. I have a better understanding. We all are sick (sinners) in one way or another! If we can’t say or do anything to help one another, do’nt say or do anything at all! I watch your show on 08/17/2010. One lady gave a comment stating that all child molesters need to be placed on an island and throw away the key! Allow me to give one example of how most of society condones one sickness and condemnes another: A man goes to jail or prison for molesting a child, most inmates despises the molester and believe that justice is done when they attack/kill the molester. Some of them believe justice is done by raping (a man inserting his penis in the rectum of another man) the molester. Most of society accepts and approve gay marriage, but child molesters are despised. I dont understand the mindset of most of society. I guess its somewhat like the way the pharisees and teachers of the law would point fingers and judge everybody for their sins; but minimized/never exposed their own. I’m powerless over so much Dr. Phil. As-long-as God stays on the throne, I’ll be fine. Thank you for allowing me to post this comment! Looking foward to being on your show!

50. RH Miller RN says:

Dear Robin and Dr. Phil:
    I do not have anymore ideas fresh out on what to do or how to handle my 27 yo daughter? She is the mother of 3 lovely girls, 10,6,and 3yo. She has no motivation to be a Mom to them and it it breaking my heart. They live with me and I am a disabled RN. There is no real interest or child support from the fathers,yes, you heard that right. The 10 yo father denies she is his and yet has been court ordered to pay child support. He works under the table and never pays a dime. The 6 yo has 5 or 6 mommy’s in her life and my daughter lost her related to drugs when she was 18 mons. old. The 3 yo. Daddy is in prison. I am all they have and I am disabled and 55yo going on 75 yo somedays. I love all of them dearly and my heartaches for the pain…that these little ones have lived thru to this point in their lives. Mom is depressed,has no motivation,and physical as well as psychological problems with drugs. She has no interest or motivation to do anything with her life. She had dreams growing up of having a family,marriage,children,home to share her life with and now I think she has totally given up. She sleeps most of the day and is up most of the night. The 3 yo has developmental problems she was born at 25/26 wks. she’s a beauty inside and out though. If I told you my story and theirs you would not believe it. It is worse than a soap opera. I am almost at the end of my rope as to how to help these children. I only know that they need intervention and help but I have little money to help them other than I provide a roof over their head and do the best I can to take care of all of them with the resources I have but my resources are not enough. I pray for them daily and for me too to continue to have the strength to take care of their needs. I have no rights as a grandparent in Florida, the judge told me so….that hurt and was terribly frustrating. I truly need some suggestions and yes, I have tried to reach out for community resources to no avail …what should I do? I love them with all my heart including my immature,depressed,physically and mentally depleted,(spoiled?/perhaps) daughter. The girls all have different fathers. My daughter had a MENSA IQ or should I say has a MENSA IQ but has chosen not to use it for her and her children’s betterment. She also has strong self esteem issues stemming from when she was a child and abused. And as always the viscious circle continues, a circle I have tried to fight with all I have to break for her and my family. Can you somehow help? Is there help out there for my grandchildren and daughter? I do not care about myself only them. I have lived a good life for the most part. I have been blessed but they have not and I beg you please to help before it is too late for them. I no longer know what to do to help them? I feel like a total failure as a parent and grandparent and have no one else to turn to for support or help. Like I said though it’s not about me it’s about them. I have tried Tough Love but somehow I have even failed at that. I would be very grateful for any ideas or suggestions or help you might have I love my grandchildren and my daughter and I am open to suggestions. Thank-you and God Bless you and your family. starsinhereyes54@yahoo.com “Susan”