September 17th, 2010 by Dr. Phil

Reflections on Turning 60

9017_1When you turn 60, you would not believe how many of your friends call to make the corniest remarks about you turning into an old timer. “Hey, Phil, have you bought your first bottle of Metamucil?” one of my buddies joked. “Come on, don’t be glum. At least now you can play in the senior division of tennis tournaments,” said someone else.  “Haven’t you heard?” said even another smart aleck well wisher. “Sixty is supposed to be the new 20! Why don’t you get a toupee and hit the town?”

At least I’m not the only one getting grief. Right now, every hour upon the hour, there are about 330 baby boomers in this country that are hitting the big 6-0. That’s right, there were that many of us born in 1950, during the heart of the Baby Boom Generation. We grew up in the carefree 1950s, came of age in the rebellious 1960s, experienced the absolutely peculiar disco era of the 1970s, pushed ourselves during the career-driven days of the 1980s, and sometimes indulged in the lavish excesses of the 1990s. We also were right here for what has, at times, been a very difficult first decade of the 21st century — a decade that has included the terrorism of 9/11, wars and an economic crash that none of us have ever seen before.

We’ve endured a lot of ups and downs, great accomplishments and great disasters, and I’m going to tell you, I wouldn’t trade it in for anything in the world — not even for a few more years of staying young. There are a lot of people I meet who panic when another birthday milestone comes along — 40, 50 and so on. They are a little afraid that maybe something has passed them by. Perhaps they’ve seen the statistics about our life expectancy being 80, which means if you hit 60, you only have 1/4th of your life left.

9017_2But whenever I think about the amount of time I have left, I think about that famous Abraham Lincoln quote, “In the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.”  I plan to live my last years with all the passion and excitement that have driven me during my first 60 years. I have to say, I started this birthday off with a bang at a simply amazing party that Robin threw for me. On today’s show, you’re going to get to go inside the party and see all the hoopla and all the fun. We’ve also got other surprises for the show that you’re not going to want to miss, including a performance by a singer named Charice that’s going to knock your socks off. I know you’ll be entertained, but it’s my great hope that you’ll also be inspired to live your own life to the fullest and to have a ball, no matter what your age. Thanks to my family and my friends, along with everyone at the Dr. Phil show, I know I am.

61 Responses to “Reflections on Turning 60”

1. Happy Birthday, Dr. Phil. I think you have a wonderful attitude and I wish more people in our country and around the world shared your views on aging. I just turned 50 this summer. The different “milestones” of age have never bothered me including this one but when I reached 50 I realized that my life was almost 1/2 over – since I plan on living to be over 100 (ha). Hopefully, I will because I’m probably in the best shape of my life at age 50 than I ever have been. And I plan on making the next 50 years just as good as the past 50. Thanks Dr. Phil. You and Robin are examples to live by. I wish you the best.

2. I have you beat Dr. Phill I turned 63 last May. Enjoy every bit and then some.

3. MaDonna says:

Happy late birthday! I have heard of your birthday all over the tv! I too love your attitude! When you wrote of Aberham Lincoln’s words, it stuck a nerve. I will hold on to those words to remember how the rest of my years need to be. Thank you for all of the words of encouragement you share with us!

4. Susan says:

Dr. Phil. HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY. Old is gold so they say. Every word that comes out of our mouths come to pass. Dr. Phil, may you (and you will in Jesus’ name) live to be above 100 years, say Amen. May you live to see the goodness of our Lord in this life according to his word in Proverbs.

5. Betty from PA says:

As an “old person” over 70 Married to one man for 58 years till death did us part just months ago . I need to say I love you man and your adorable wife and family. I know you are a man of deep faith and it shows by all the good you do for so many people. Some shows are heart breakers. And I also know a lot of people of my generation would say easy for him he’s rich. Wish the world could know that RICH is not measured by $$$$$. but kindness , love and caring. Keep up the good work. I’ll let you know when my book comes out. Love y”ll

6. louise eberle says:

avery has the most beautiful, limpid, eyes i have ever seen. they truly are the window to her precious soul, fondly, louise eberle8swy

7. francien prein says:

happy birthay dr phil mabey to lait but iam from holland
    i lokking youre progam evry day and lern a lot som time’s
    have a nice day birthday whit robin en youre suns en gren child francien

8. My father is turing 70 tomorrow, I was looking on the internet to find something inspirational to write in his card. I’ll tell ya it’s hard to find but I found it hear, thank you as always Dr. Phil for all your inspiration :)

9. Carol Jenks says:

Happy Big 60 Dr. Phil!! I am right behind you when I turn 60 on October 30th.
    I have had mixed feelings about turning 60. I am preparing for early retirement from the school system, and it has been a strange feeling to know that I will not be doing that same routine every day after many years. Yes, my body cries with aches and pains from arthritis and who knows what else. And working with special ed. students has taken it’s toll on me. The scary part for me, is that I will soon be completely alone, now that my 25 year old daughter is raised and on her own, and my 20 year old son will soon be out of the house. I have been widowed for 17 years and have had to raise the kids by myself with no extended family around. I am looking forward to more peace and quiet, a freedom to do what I want when I want and not by the clock and to take care of myself and my home. I always look forward to watching your shows every day at 4PM in Roanoke, VA…keep up the great work!

10. Dorel says:

Don’t worry – you look great Dr. Phil

And these are my Reflections at 60,

Many of you asked “How do you feel at 60?”, “Why don’t you write your impressions”, “Are you feeling older?” someone even asked the indiscreet question “Is the thing still going?” pointing to the lower half of my body. Come-on guys this is not the end of the world, 60 doesn’t mean that I am half dead or the excitement is gone (well, I am not the same as when I was at 30). More important it’s how you feel, the way you consider your age and how much do you still carry the child behavior in your heart.

When I was young I used to think people at 60 were old, gloomy, with boring personalities and not much excitement in their life. I used to call them dinosaurs or fossils, but man I never thought that I will reach this point so fast. Sometime I wonder and ask myself “who in the world stole the time from me” how unfair – my birthday wish was to be young again. When I was 30 I believed at 60 I will be free of challenges, having everything I want, be worrisome free – well, I was very optimistic and naïve. Today, the challenges are different, keeping me going and preparing me for the next good or bad event that’s waiting around the corner.

How do I feel? Definitely wiser, calmer, more content, extremely passionate for traveling around the world, exploring places I haven’t seen, do things that I never did and face the unknown as a challenge. If I had money I would travel for the rest of my life until I would reach my final destination and maybe travel for the rest of my other life if other dimension exists. My passion for cooking and of course eating didn’t diminish which explains the extra body layers accumulated over the years making me “topoly”. Don’t laugh you guys, your turn is coming soon..Well, I have good intention to exercise but man after I eat, the body feels so good and I like laying down, relaxing and enjoying the “siesta”. And if you ask me “why don’t you exercise before eating?” I will tell you “Are you kidding me – I am so hungry”. As Persians say it “You are Shaka amoo”.

I learned how to appreciate the past, I believe that whatever we did in the past it’s a reflection for the future and determines the actions and decisions we are making in the present. For example, the past thought me to make better decisions when the road becomes a fork and choose the right path, perhaps recognize good opportunities and avoid the things that can bring you down or have a negative impact on your life. I learned to appreciate what I have, be happy with my achievements and instead of saying “the neighbors grass is always greener” I say “thank god, I have green grass too”. I learned that 90 % of the things we all worry about, actually never happen and I believe it’s better to be optimistic rather than have a negative mind – so I look at life from a happy prospective and don’t worry that much.

I am thankful to have friends that can understand me and help if I am in need (I guess, that’s what friendship is all about)”. I learned that everyone is an individual with acquired habits, behaviors and each have their own story to tell. I cherish theirs stories without discrimination, trying not to be judgmental, respect their opinions and beliefs, and I am grateful to them for respecting mines.

I am thankful to my wife for everything she has done, for the happy times and journey we had riding the river of life. I am thankful to her for putting up with my behavior when I wasn’t at my best and holding my hand when the boat was drifting. I am thankful for the two beautiful daughters that we devoted our life and we are so proud of. We nurtured and gave them our love to the best of our abilities and I know someday they will have their own kids and I hope they will give them more that we could give. They keep saying that we don’t have to worry about financial future because they are paying us back when they became successful professionals. Good joke!!!

Some people think that life starts at 60 (because they start getting senior citizens discounts), but I don’t believe life should be based on age or number of wrinkles on our forehead. I intend to spend the rest of my life happily and growing old gracefully. Look for my email when I will be 70.

Until then – I will have many adventures…Come on join me!

11. Anita says:

Dr Phil, I am turning 60 this Friday, the 7th of March. I am extremely excited about it, because you see, I am a 2 time breast cancer SURVIVOR, and I am on my 3rd pacemaker. I get a new one every ten years. I am just like the energizer bunny, “I’m still going!” I had my first bout with breast cancer in 1987, and my 2nd bout with breast cancer in 1995. My cancer is in remission, and my heart is beating STRONG! I just want to do like the song says, “CELEBRATE AND DANCE TO THE MUSIC!” I love your show, keep up the good work, you are blessing and helping A LOT of people. Take care, and thank you for taking the time to read this. “GOD BLESS YOU!”