October 29th, 2010 by Dr. Phil

Enraged Dad Sends Message about Bullying

dad9051Most parents would go to the ends of the earth to protect their kids from bullies. I know I would. But how far is too far? Is it ever appropriate to confront your child’s attackers?

That’s what James Jones reportedly did. His 12-year-old daughter, Chatari, who suffers from cerebral palsy, was allegedly being taunted by other kids at her Florida middle school. According to  Chatari, she had been pinched, hit and had condoms thrown at her. Fed up and enraged, James boarded her school bus to give the kids a piece of his mind. Now I can’t repeat everything he said, but a YouTube video shows the father cursing and threatening to kill anyone bullying his child.

James will be on Monday’s show to tell his side of the story, along with CNN contributor Roland Martin, who says James should be named Father of the Year. I wouldn’t go as far as rewarding his actions — storming a school bus, throwing F-bombs at children and threatening to give them a whupping. He definitely crossed the line, but I can understand a father’s frustration when he feels that his precious child is standing in the line of fire, and no one is doing anything to help. James, who was arrested after the incident, apologized for his actions, admitting that he acted like the very thing he was trying to protect his child from. He faces two misdemeanor charges of disorderly conduct and disturbing a school function. I told James that if my kid had been on the bus tormenting his child, I would testify for him at his trial.

I’m not a Johnny-Come-Lately to anti-bullying. Bullies are nothing but cowards, and I believe we should have zero-tolerance when dealing with them. I’ve launched a campaign to raise awareness about this national epidemic, and I’ve testified before Congress earlier this year to ensure cyber safety. When you have a child with special needs, like Chatari, they are ill-equipped to fight back against their attackers. Somebody needs to stand up for them.

It’s tragic that our kids are taking their own lives just to get a bully off their back. What’s a parent to do? Do you sympathize with James Jones? How would you have reacted in the same situation? Did this father go too far, and does he deserve jail time? Let me hear from you.

531 Responses to “Enraged Dad Sends Message about Bullying”

1. thomas moore says:

He did the right thing but he should not have cussed out or threaten all of the children but address the bully. I am a father too and if you put a condom on my kid I probably would did a lot worst then this guy. Don’t touch a man’s children unless you are ready to die. He should have put his foot down to the school too. Going to jail for your children is the way a father should protect his kids. Some kids need their tail cut because they have bad or weak parents. If a child has special needs and the father gets on the bus and cuss out the bully that is fine with me and if my innocent kids gets yelled at because he or she did not stand up for the special needs child and allow her or him to be bully then he and she needs to be cuss out too. Because as soon as they tell me about it I am going to ask for all of the facts and if they did nothing to help out the child than I am going ask them what would they do if they was being bullied and need some help from someone else. Stop all of the bullying by expelling these bullies from school then put the bullies to work for the school clean or work programs and issusing out $1000.00 fines to the parents. That would end all of this mess.

2. I would like to shake James hand. He did the right thing. When parents wont disipline their children, kids do what they want and know no one cares enough to stop them. Kids that are being bullied need their parents to step in. He may have been a little over kill but those kids will be allright and he rest of the kids are probably giving James high five because they probably have had to avoid those bullies!!!

3. Irma Sanchez says:

Dr. Phil, I WOULD HAVE DONE THE EXACT SAME THING!!! The lady on your pannel kept saying ‘do you want to get in trouble?’ and frankly, I don’t give a hoot about getting in trouble when it comes to defending and protecting my child! And I bet none of those bullies will ever bother that sweet girl again… and, I also bet that many of the other kids were wishing their dads or moms came through for them like this gentleman did…
    We as parents are the primary responsible for our kids wellbeing. If the authority does nothing, if the driver plays dumb and deaf, if other kids keep silent out of fear of retaliation, somebody has to do it and the first responsible is of course the parent. And mind you, if somebody even threatens to touch one of my girls, let alone poke them or pull them, you don’t want to face that wrath!!! and my girls are grown up (22, 23 & 32). I don’t even want to think if that happened to them when they were vulnerable teenagers.
    So, good for him… we need more fathers like him… I mean, lets face it, kids listen to much more horrible things in songs and movies… It wasn’t the language, it was the being confronted with somebody that they felt overpowered by instead of somebody they would threaten or hurt.
    Like you said, where were the parents of the bullies? why wasn’t there a representative for the school present? I mean, its so easy to just send a written comment…. Good for this brave Dad!!!!!

4. To Dr. Phil,
    Thank you for the discussion on bullies (6-15-11). Parents are frustrated because they don’t know a positive approach to stopping bullies. You can broaden the discussion to include, bullies in the neighborhood, not just in schools.

Today, one in four women are in an abusive relationship. Children are learning to be victims and/or bullies at home. We need to discuss what every American can do in their neighborhood to stop bullies.

As a crime and violence prevention consultant, I see children out of control at 4 or 5 years of age and parents abusing them. Neighbors do not correct older children’s behavior. Bullies can become gang leaders. Without adult support, children become their followers because they need protection in their neighborhood.

I would be happy share information with you on this critical topic.
    Stephanie L. Mann

P.S. EVERY DAY IN AMERICA
    OVER 200 children arrested for violent crimes, 375 children arrested for drug abuse, 2,200 high school students drop out, 2,350 youth confirmed abused or neglected, 4,200 youth arrested, 18,100 public school students suspended
    Source: Children’s Defense Fund

5. donna says:

I can honestly say that he reacted a lot better than I would have. I would have beat the dog s**t outta all those who had part in it. Personally put my foot up the drv”s a** and then cussed out all those who watch. What the hell is wrong with these kids. No strike that the parets. My son would never do that because he knows I don’t play. That bus river took the time out to radio in that he boarded the bus and watch him moving thru thebus. Why the hell didn’t he devote that same attention to keeping the children safe and reporting the abuse. A condom was thrown on her I’m sure he cleaned the bus and saw it. Didn’t that seem out of place for young kids why didn’t you report that. Lazy and disgraceful. Te bus over crowed and a child let alone special needs doesn’t have n e where to sit. You’re not suppose do drive with people standing up. WTF. Is everbody blind to the actions that led up to this incident. Now people sit n wonder wy kids shoot up schools. Its not right at all for them to do that, but who is looking out for them. Bullies are gonna do as much as u let tem. Teachers and other adults brush it off. And peers insigate or ignore it. So where is their outlet. Telling their parents and devestating them. I know how that dad felt I’m sure his heart dropped and it all went red. I don’t feel sorry for n e of those kids. Everybody played a part and if it had of been me. That interview would have been skped with me on 23hr lock down.
    FYI if u don’t like what I said I’m pretty sure that ur kid is a bully,instigator, or accomplice after the fact

6. I believe that Bullying needs to be stopped & James did the brave thing but he shouldn’t have threatened to kill the other kids who had nothing to do with bullying his daughter. I was bullied in elementary school in CO… girls followed me home saying I stuffed my bra because I developed earlier than they did & so I was walking home from school & my mom saw these girls following me home harassing me & she came outside to my rescue & said “You think she stuff’s her bra (lifting up her shirt & bra @ the same time no less) where do you think she get’s these from if you ever harass my daughter again about stuffing her bra I’ll call the cops on you for harassment & I mean it too.” Those girls never bothered me again for the rest of elementary school. Then we moved up to Nebraska & the bullying started in elementary & jr. high & high school but I got through it all with the help of some very special friends I never thought I’d have so if his daughter ever needs a good friend I’d be one. I can help her through those rough patches.

7. Natasha Venier says:

When my sister and I were in school we had a similar situation in which my sister always got bullied. I stood up and defended her to the point of getting into fights with boys twice my size and age. Finally one day one of the boys on the bus told my sister to Suck his ____. When I got home I told my dad and the next day my dad went on the bus and did the same thing. My father told all the children to sit down and asked me and my sister who said it. My father asked the boy to come to the front and told the boy that if he EVER said anything like that again he would cut it off. I can say that after that we never got bullied again because not only was it a wake up for the bully but for any other person that might have thought to try to bully us later. So I completely agree with what he did and I will do the same thing for the child that I have on the way.

8. jack foster says:

The young woman made the statement that the dad should not “take the law into his own hands” sounded like the typical defense attorney of a Guilty defendant. She also exhibited classic bullying behavior with her belligerent attitude and yelling at you and your guests.
    What she fails to understand is that the father has the basic responsibility to protect his child. That is so basic it is instinctual. The school should assume that responsibility when the child is in their care. When the school relinquishes that by having a bus driver who allows the child to be assaulted, the father is forced to assume the care and protection of his child.

Thank you for showing how irresponsible this school is. They are idiot’s to think that “We have a policy…” somehow excuses their failure.

9. Rosemary Golei says:

If the school district had a camera on the bus to view when the father got on the bus to confront the bullies, then why didn’t the school district view the tapes of the weeks before to see for themselves what was going on? Also, if they have cameras on the bus, shouldn’t the school district use them to monitoring the activity on the bus at least once a week to see the kids as well as the bus driver is following policy and procedures. I’m sure if the school district was doing there job, then the Dad would not have had to do their job for them. The District released a press release that they would have acted on the bulling if they knew, but no one told them; yet they had the equipment to witness for themselves what happens on there buses.

10. Cathy Dale says:

I am so pleased to see that I am not alone. These kids, especially middle school, are so rude and disrespectful to everyone around them and parents “Let it SLIDE!” We as parents must instill the qualities that all people will be treated with kindness and dignity, and failing to do so will bring the “Wrath of God or Parent whom you have deeply injured to TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS!!” I have been down the “We’ll take care of it” mentality many times and even went to speak with parents of horrible violators. I’ve been met with disbelief and anger and even people thinking I was wrong for getting into it. Kids will be Kids!! BULL, kids need to be PARENTED and it’s HARD WORK!! Grow a spine parents and teach your children right from wrong, and how to treat other people and their property, IT”S YOUR JOB!
    So, I have been that crazy parent who kids stare at, and I guarantee they never forget that my kids and grandkids are not to be bullied, because “I’LL BE BACK!”

11. I wrote an article about the topic of Bullying in May..

Parental Involvement Affects Bullying.

April Gabrielle’
    Author, Motivational Speaking

12. janet wood says:

All agree something should be done. What we need here is a solution. I have a suggestion. Require 1 or both parents of every school bus rider to take 1 day per year and ride the school bus. That way additonal supervision will help keep our kids safe. Yes the bus driver should be aware, but for one reason or another did not take action. Punishment for the parent on Dr. Phil that over responded shoud be required to take (at his own expense) classes on anger management. Should also be required to have a community service punishment of attending his daughter’s school and walk the school hallways to see what is happening in schools. Many parents couldn’t be bothered and maybe they should have some compensation required for their kids behavior. We as parents are responsible for our kids and if we aren’t capable we pay a price.

13. jill gibson says:

I applaud the dad, as the parent of a Special Needs child who is bullied and called names on a daily basis he handled it because no one else was…….Way to stand up for your daughter dad

14. Emmargaret says:

Thank you James for stnding up.I am a middle school teacher and I support his actions.Those kids were still talking and laughing. Where was the driver not cited for not standing up??????I see why he ws threatened….He should also confront the school.Thank you James.Many parents do not tell their children it is wrong to bully, its why they do it.

15. Helen says:

When is some-one going to address the problem of adult children who abuse their parents. I have been mercilessly bullied by one son and 2 daughters-in-law for over a year now. At first it was vile accusations, the withdrawal of contact with 2 of my grandchildren, horrible and abusive letters from my son and D_I_L and now my son and his wife have cut off contact and the other D-I-L uses passive-aggressive behaviour to restrict my contact with my other grandchildren. I have had a lot of counselling but my heart is so broken that I don’t think I will survivve this.

16. Leigha says:

Hello Dr. Phil
    My name is Leigha Witham and I am here to share with you my story about bullying. Kids started bullying me when I was in 6th grade at Hesperia Schools in Hesperia, Michigan because I got raped by a class mate and kids starting saying I was ugly and that if they were me and that happened to them they would commit suicide not long after this bullying started I had to go to pine rest because I tried to commit suicide from all the bullying at school. My parents and I moved to Fremont, Michigan for those reasons and other reasons as well. I started my 7th grade at Fremont Middle School and I watched my first crush/friend get bullied by as some kids would say “The popular boys” they all made a circle around him and kept calling him gay and kicked him to the ground; after I asked what was going on I ran to my friend and I stood over him and told the boys to stop calling him gay and to leave him alone. Of course they didn’t, so I called another girl over and told her to go get the teacher aid that was outside. After that me and him became best friends and I wouldn’t call it dating, but we both had a middle school crush or puppy love I guess you would call it. 8th grade came around and the tables were turned once again. The same group of guys and now some girls were bullying me calling me a lesbian even though I was not because I am straight. After lending a helping hand to the friend I made in the 7th grade, I hoped he would help me out too; but sadly he turned against me and called me an ugly weak whore. I never thought that after helping him from being bullied, that he would someday become a bully to me. When 9th grade came and it was my first day in high school, I honestly hoped to god that everything would be different, but I was wrong in high school I became the main target. I never really had alot of friends in the middle school in fremont or in hesperia but I knew I had some and I hoped I could find the courage to ignore the bully’s. As time went by in the high school, I became more and more self concious about myself and every where I went I thought someone was talking bad about me. During 9th grade summer I swore to myself if soeone bullied me this coming 10th grade year I was not going back to school. 10th grade came around and after my first trimester of get bullied during the second trimester I called home whenever I could and I would use any excuse to go home. A week or two before my birthday I went back to pine rest for trying to commit suicide again. I got home the day before my birthday and my parents told the school that I would not be returning for the rest of the year and I would be going to a different school by my 11th grade school year. Fremont High School would not accept the fact that they had and still have major bullying going on in their school. There were times at school I came home early because I did not feel safe being there. For my junior year I went to Quest High School in Fremont, Michigan. It is a very small alternative school that gives students another chance if they didn’t graduate or if they got kicked out of their old school. Quest was my only opition. After this year at Quest High School I can proudly say I have not missed a day of school and I have passed all my classes with A’s and maybe one or two B’s. I still have people try to bring me down at fremont high and once or twice I’ve been called the “Town slut” But they have no right to say that about me because they never took the time to know me; they just took time to destroy me. After a couple of years of counseling, I know I am worth so much more than the bully’s same I am. I now know that I am Beautiful and that one day I will let my voice be heard.

17. Clare says:

I was the subject of tormenting in grade school, about 4-5 grade by a neighbor (rich) boy. We were the poorest in the neighborhood and got one pair of new shoes each fall before school. He started telling me he was going to take my shoes off and throw them in a ditch. Being four years older than me I was very scared and tried to stay away from him for most of the year. Finally one day I couldn’t take it any more and started to cry and run into the school house. Fortunately a teacher happened to be coming down the steps and asked what was wrong. I was scared to tell her but finally did and after that, never another word from him. I seen him at a school reunion. I wanted to go up and slap him and this was 40 years later.

18. Maggie says:

That man did the right thing. His child was being bullied and he was jsut protecting her! I would have done the same thing.

I know what it’s like to be bullied. It sucks! I was bullied a lot throughout elementary and middle school. I’m in high school now and the bullying has layed off a little but it’s still there.

I’m a varsity swimmer for my school and I get bullied (verbally and emotionally) a lot by a few particular older girls. They’ve sent me home plenty of times in tears. they would call me a B**** and an A** whole and say mean things toward me and say I was a horrible swimmer (when I’m faster than them). I finally stood up towards them with the help of my coach and mom.

My two younger siblings had gotten bullied pretty bad this year. My brother was in 5th grade this year and he had gotten bullied by his peers and teachers. Some of the kids would call him names and thro him to the ground and punch him and so on. And one time one of the playground aids went over to my brother, picked him up and threw him to the ground and he had sprained muscles in his lower back resulting from what the aid did. All the bullying that my brother went through has made him want to transfer to a private school.

My sister had it the worst. She was in 7th grade this year and in my opinion the 3 years you’re in middle school, those are the worst years of you life. My sister had been constantly bullied by her 3 best friends and a couple other people for a numerous amount of months. and she didn’t say one word to my mom, me or her counscilor until she announced that she had been doing harm to herself for 7 months and then she did something else resulting from the bullying. She’s been seeing a therapist at she had gone to a hospital type of thing. And this all happened back in January/March area and she’s doing much better! She stood up to the bullies and now I have my happy go lucky and sometimes annoying sister back haha!

Bullying takes it’s toll on everyone! No one should have to go through all the tormenting and torture. Bullying is already happening in our elementary schools and that’s not good at all. I was in Journalism this past year fro my sophomore year and I wrote a paper on the effects of bullying and how to prevent it. I wrote it around the time when my two siblings were getting bullied.

So for those out there helping put an end to bullying I give you brownie points. It’s about time this all stops. Bullying has taken a toll on my family and I’m sure it has on others. So thank you to all who is helping prevent bullying!!!!!

~Maggie

19. Andrea Sproston says:

We are terrified that our child who also has cerebal palsy is going to be yet bullied again in the school that he is in…Our child is 11 yrs old and has been kicked, spit on, punched and laughed at. We as parents have done EVERYTHING in our power to make it stop but the SCHOOL does not uphold its “No Tolerance” policy. It is overwhelming as he was a new student last year and that has some to do with it I suspect. There are a variety of kids that do this that do not even know each other and I want to know HOW do we make the School take care of this situation..We have been to the Superintendent of schools and even requested a school board meeting and they refused that meeting. What do we do???

20. Melissa says:

Dear Dr.Phil
    My son and I went to the pool the other day and there was a boy from school that he knows this boy started telling my son that he was named after a fag and told him that I had relations with his dad who I dont even know he was bragging that he was a syber bully My husband is hispanic and this child was telling my son oh you must eat tacos all the time. I feel helpless I called the boys parents they wont answer the phone I contacted them on facebook to ask there help with there son they wont respond.I dont know how someone who has a child like this wont try to fix this problem,now my son doesnt want to go to the pool anymore to avoid him what do I do???

21. S.C. says:

Please forgive my stepping on the soapbox, but this is an issue that is extremely important to me.

I remember reading of a study that revealed that when elderly people were allowed to be completely anonymous, a high number of people as old as 80 would admit to still being severely bothered by bullying incidents that took place in their childhoods. And we are not talking with many of them about long term and protracted abuse. Single or isolated incidents that marred otherwise happy childhoods still were highly emotionally charged for them.

The damage protracted bullying does is hideous. And the thing is, that kind of damage is not something new to modern life. It took me years to see that all bullying boils down to comes straight from the old testament. From the extreme disgust reaction if you (as target) happen to even accidently make eye contact with anyone else), to the message that they repeatedly grind into you that there is something fundamentally wrong with you that everyone can “just tell” that causes them to choose you, popularity is simply ritual cleanliness, and being not-popular and a bullying target is simply ritual uncleanliness. Above and beyond the pain of individual episodes, being selected as a bullying target is the new leprosy.

Though as a believer in non-violent resolution to conflict, I cannot condone what the father did. But can I understand his impulse? Of course I can. Administrators often either do nothing or even in certain rural areas, actively encourage such behavior. I cannot even imagine the pain that parents go through when they see their children suffer needlessly! at the hands of other children. The damage done is life-long, and not just my experience, but the study that surveyed (I believe it was in England) a large number of elderly individuals on how bullying incidents from their childhoods still affects them proves it. That doesn’t mean that people who are bullied should be “victims” and not take responsibility for their own lives. However, when you go through it, you lose any sense that you have any control over your own life, and it is a long hard road getting back to a place where you do. Or where you even think or believe that you are worth the effort. Bullying is physical, emotional, and sexual abuse. And also consider that by the age of like, eleven? your peers have 500 percent more effect on your self-concept than even your parents…it is no wonder that bullying is such a devastating phenomena.

People keep talking about “violence in schools” and it always bothers me because they always mean something that involves either guns or knives and they completely ignore the violence that happens every single day (and don’t think that if you live in a small town your children are safe from it!!!). Either we have to assume that the many kids who are choosing suicide over facing one more day are just “weak” or we have to begin to re-examine our perceptions and our idea that bullying is somehow “less” harmful than being abused at home. The tragedy is, is that even among those who don’t choose suicide, when you give a child a huge adult-sized dose of pain and anger, the child then has a choice, because in most cases that dose of pain and anger is more than they are developmentally able to process, and they have a choice whether to take it out on somebody else (as sadly, some do) or whether to cannibalize themselves internally so as not to hurt somebody else. The tragedy is the high number of children who choose this option. It is a largely silent choice and an unrecognized one, and one that children should NEVER be forced to make.

I cannot excuse an adult terrorizing children, even terrorizing children who terrorized another child, but I can understand the pain, frustration, and feeling of helplessness that led him to it.

22. Sarah Cole says:

(I thought this got submitted, but I can’t get to that page,and now I am having doubts as well as changing my mind and including my full name, so if this is a repost, please dear moderator(s) correct it and forgive me!)

23. Linda Picchione says:

I just watched a short clip from the documentary on bullying. What is the bus driver doing? When my children road a bus if there was any such behavior the bus driver was responsible for maintaining order. If they didn’t listen to instructions the bus driver had the authority to turn the bus around and take the distruptive child back to school where his parents would be called to pick him up. If it happened a second time the child was banned from riding the bus. Nobody seems to care about these children. The teacher see and do nothing. I knew my children were protected from the time they got on the bus til the time they got off.

24. Kelly Weerstra says:

Hello Dr. Phil, i believe that father had every right to do that, at least she had a father who would do that for her. Anyways there will always be bullying, no matter what, i am a big kid, i am not fat just big, and i can intimidate my bullys, but it doesnt mean what they say to me dont hurt. i have tried my whole life to overcome what has been said to me in my life, but it is so hard to listen to waht they say and not be hurt. i believe for every person that was bullied or tortured by mean cruel people well known as BULLIES, those people who go through that should immediatly talk to someone. I now got a voice of my own, but it took four years of crap in fostercare, and so much of depression, and so much help that i got, but it just boiled down to a voice. Which i had ever since i was born, so people who dont know they have a voice, need to know now that they got one and need to use it. I went through foster care ever since i was fourteen, now i am eightteen, but even through foster care i was bullied, but to be honest it came from people i didnt even expect… the Foster Care Workers, including the foster parents, i was upset to find out even though i am eightteen, and also an adult i cant even see my own mother. People dont realize what hell people go through when they say something to another person that is so negative and cruel. I went through my whole middle school being called gay, and faggit, and stupid ass, and all sorts of cruel and unusual words. Bully victims let your voices be heard!!! And learn to get help. Just say something.

25. Debbie Budnick says:

The above link is a video I made because I am being bullied, which is no fun. People need to start treating people kindness and care before something bad happens.

26. David says:

I have long been confused by the whole concept of what widely is called bullying. My child was the smallest in the school and many times as parents we were called to the school because of his alleged bullying activities. For a long time he would tell us he was over reacting to being bullied himself, but the sugar coated victims seemed to have a different story. I now know after being in a very toxic work environment about how manipulative people use their covert aggressive behaviour to vilify the victim and make out the victim is the bully.

27. It is really too bad for his daughter, and the impulse to protect is not a fault, in my opinion it is a character trait inherited within our genes. However the law is the law and it is against the law to retaliate within guidelines; if we break these guidelines we become just as guilty. My heart goes out to the father because he was only coming to his daughters defense.

28. Sally says:

Bullying is becoming more and more prevelant in my day to day practice. I feel for this father but agree he went overboard. As a mother it would break my heart to know my daughter was being bullied. We must bring awareness to the schools and parents to step in and find ways to appropriately and swiftly eliminate bullying. It can and does have devastating effects on children.

29. Nicole says:

My daughter is being bullied at school as well. I believe he did what he had to do because I, myself see no other alternative. Browsing this site for information on how to deal with these issues of bullying and I know that nothing the school is doing is helping. The law does nothing about bullying either to prevent episodes from happening to students.

30. Ricky Thornton says:

My gran daughter also receives bullying because of her weight. That’s my fault. I have often wanted to do or say some thing to her bullyers, however, restrained myself for fear that I would make it worse on her.There has to be a line drawn somewhere. Bully for you, pun intended.

31. Maria Theoret says:

Wow! I applaud that father. However, where I live, a parent is not aloud to step foot on a school bus. I am a parent of a son with a disability. He has been bullied over the years and the school has always been on my side. I do however blame the parents of bully’s for raising these kids. They are always the ones to say my kid instigated it. That’s bull! They would rather blame same one else then put the blame and responsibility on themselves. I guess it is easier for them. God will punish them one day I assure you.