March 21st, 2011 by Dr. Phil

Little Avery Turns 1!

Avery-bdayI know it’s been a while since my last blog posting — I know. I know! — but I can’t resist sharing this special day with all of you. This past weekend, Robin, Jay, Erica, Jordan and I gathered friends and family to celebrate little Avery’s first birthday, and let me tell you, she had a ball!

Thank you to Mother Nature for holding off the rain, which came on Sunday. I mean, we got pounded, pouring all day with winds on the mountain up to 50 mph. So blessed we didn’t get blown away on Saturday.

What an incredible day. It’s hard to believe an entire year has gone by since that little girl came into this world and just stole my heart. Yeah, and my friends are still shaking their heads and asking what’s happened to me! HA! I admit it, she’s got me wrapped around her finger like never before — but look at her there with the cake all over her face. I know I’m biased, but is she not the cutest thing you’ve ever seen?!

I told Jay and Jordan, if I had known how great it would be to be a grandparent, I would’ve had her first.

Avery-bday2I remember Robin telling me when Avery was born, “Honey, you are going to walk around with your heart in your hands.” And, boy, was she right. But it’s not just Avery’s cuteness and blooming personality that gets to me. There is something so moving and captivating about watching her get excited over the littlest of things, like a new stuffed toy or pulling on my mustache! If it sounds like I’m smiling as I write this, it’s because I am. We couldn’t be prouder of the parents Jay and Erica have become; watching them together is like seeing the world again through a brand-new set of eyes.

And I should mention that Robin, Uncle Jordan and I are the best babysitters you’ll ever find. There’s nothing we wouldn’t do for that little girl. We are here to give her one more safe place beyond her own home with her parents. We are here to make sure she knows she’ll always have back up in an unfamiliar world. It’s an awesome responsibility. And we couldn’t be more honored to fulfill it.

Tune in Monday and you’ll see how precious little Avery is. And, Jay and Erica make a surprise announcement. I can’t wait to tell my old friends the news.

Tags: , , ,

193 Responses to “Little Avery Turns 1!”

1. Susan L. says:

I smiled with you while reading your post! I cannot wait to have a grandchild, too! Avery has such loving parents, grandparents, and uncles/aunts. Continue to do the valuable and life-affirming things you do in your lives!! Congrats!!

2. Carole says:

Congrats to the whole family, and Happy 1st Birthday to Avery!! She is precious:) I’m a mother to 9 month old twins, can’t wait to throw them a big party for their first Birthday!

3. HAPPY BIRTHDAY LIL ONE !!!!!!!!!!! THE PICS MADE MY HEART SMILE!!!

4. Thelma says:

Dr. Phil
    As I watch Avery grow and see how much loves she has with you and Robin and her Uncle Jay plus her parents I feel she is so blessed. I only wish the kids I work with had half as much love and support as you give Avery. A lot of my children are ADD or ADHD or Reactive Attachment Disorder and most of my parents are to busy making a living or are to old(grandparents and great grandparents) and tired to deal with my troubled children. So Avery have many Happy Birthdays and be very thankful for what you have in a family because many children out there are not has happy or blessed as you are.

5. linda revels says:

Blessed child…could it be another on the way??????

6. Martha Solis says:

What a wonderful world view you guys are preparing for that precious little one. If only so many of our world’s children had just a measure of what Lil’ Avery has they would grow up to make such great contributions to the world. Thank you for what you and Robin and your family are doing. Making happy memories for that little one. God bless you.

7. Mary Bingham says:

I love how you all love her! Avery is an enchanting little girl and very blessed to be so loved. That said, I have 4 grandchildren, and I can honestly say I know EXACTLY how you feel about that little girl. Robin got it in a nutshell when she said you would be walking around with your heart in your hands!
    Happy Birthday to sweet Avery and kudos to all of you for the love you provide for your entire family.

8. Maxine Perth WAustralia says:

Congratulations little Avery on your first birthday.
    I agree with you Dr Phil it is a great honour and a real blessing to be a grandparent.
    We have 5 grandsons and we were blessed last night or should I say early this morning 12.41am, 22nd March (our time) with a brand new little granddaughter, Tia Alicia Smith, 6lb 10oz, we have not seen her yet as her mummy had to have a C section but we look forward to seeing her this afternoon.
    Blessings to your family from our family

9. Brenda says:

Happy Birthday Avery! The pictures posted on this blog will be looked at over and over through the family photo albums. I am a professional Photographer and it makes me smile to hear story’s of parents and family looking back into their memory albums. I would love the opportunity to add creative photographes to your family album. It would be a pleasure to photograph you.

10. Robin says:

Happy Birthday Avery. You are a beautiful child and treasured by your family and friends. May you always be blessed and loved. Follow the kindness and closeness of your family and you will do well in life.

God Bless you dear Avery!

11. Ruth Albrant says:

CONGRATULATIONS AVERY on your FIRST BIRTHDAY!! Dr Phil give her a Big Hug for me!! As a Gramma myself and soon to be Great Gramma for the first time! I Know how Much you enjoyed that Party! I’m anxious to see how she tackled the
    Birthday Cake! Lol! I’m Also anxious to hear what that anouncement is! GOD BLESS ALL!

12. Wanda Buerge says:

So please please tell what happened on your show today. I was unable to watch today’s show and I am very anxious to know what the big surprise was. I am only guessing this but your going to be grand parents again.

13. Heather says:

Dr Phil,

This absolutely made my day. To see that gorgeous little girl so innocent enjoying all the love she has surrounding her on her 1st birthday. So I hear you, Robin and Jordan make the best babysitters. Aside from my awesome parents I bet that’s true. And if ever you are available please let me know when you are in Central NY because I need back up babysitters for my two little sweeties. I trust No One, but I would trust you and your family because you are a part of our everyday lives helping us through every life struggle just as my own parents do. God Bless you and your beautiful family.

14. Penny says:

I bet your gonna say number 2 is on the way!

15. Gayla Campbell says:

She is so sweet! I have 10 grandchildren and the youngest one just turned 1 a few weeks ago! I love watching the grow and change, and I told my 3 girls if I knew how much fun it would be I would have had grandchildren first! You guys are so blessed and litle Avery is so blessed to have grandparent like you. I always knew I would be a good Nana.. my grandma was one of my best friends! God Bless you all

16. kapukha Sammy says:

the greatest blessing, for me Dr. Phil, is to see that in this age and time, Avery has two sets of parents with true commitment to keep her safe wherever she is. Her own, and the grands… This inspires many, am sure. Lately children just do NOT get this kind of treatment for all imaginable reasons. Like in Africa (Kenya) where i am and watch your show weekly on Family media TV. I wish Jay and Erica all the best…. and Robin!, Just let her keep smiling the way she does.

17. Billie McKeag says:

Happy Birthday little Avery!!! It is so amazing to me how each and every day of my granddaughters life fills me with such joy. I have the pleasure of being her babysitter and I have gotta say “I LOVE MY JOB!!” I could never have imagined that this little angel would bring so much into our families lives. When you write about how you feel about your little angel, my husband and I have those same feelings, such a little thing can steal the hearts of even the biggest of men and women.

18. Annettte says:

YAY I love suprise announcements!!! I think there’s another baby on the wayyyy? :0))

19. Stacy Medick says:

You are sooo blessed, and so is Avery. I love how you describe your relationship with her and I can tell you were smiling as you wrote your post. I love watching as your family grows and although you don’t know me, I love you all. Happy Birthday Avery!! Take care :)

20. Alice Stephenson says:

Dr. Phil, your words did sound like you were smiling as you wrote them. Thanks to you and your family for sharing Avery with all of us, too. I’m so happy for all y’all. God Bless you and Avery and all your family Abundantly Always… Amen and Amen

21. LisaLR says:

Well listen to you proud Pop! I too have a beautiful granddaughter that is about to turn two and she’s the love of my life. Of course I love my three children more than life itself but it’s a completely different feeling with grandchildren only a proud grandparent could ever describe. I’m so happy for us!

22. Myrna Reese says:

I told my son that being a grandparent was a very special event and now that he has a year old grandson he knows what I mean. He’s a pediatrician and sees babies all day long, but the look on his face when he talks about the baby is a glow shone at no other time. And of course I get to spoil my greatgrandson.

23. Karlene says:

What a precious little girl! I remembered her birth very well because it was at the same time I very nearly died! I had about 80% of my small intestine removed that had died and become twisted. I was not expected to live. I have too much scar tissue in my belly from multiple PEG (feeding) tubes (I have suffered from severe anorexia for almost 25 yrs.). Every day is torture to live through (mainly physically right now), but I have 9 nieces and nephews (all under the age of 8) that bring me such joy I feel my heart may burst!
    I hope you guys have fun celebrating! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEAR AVERY!!!!

Sincerely,
    Karlene

24. Trish says:

You are absolutely right… she is just about the most beautiful little girl Ive ever seen. Being a Grand is awesome beyond words! We also celebrated my Grandsons birthday on Saturday, with gorgeous weather, even in Connecticut! My Chayse turned 9… where did it go? So many more things I wanted to teach him… However, I am so proud of who he is turning out to be! He is just amazing! Can you tell Im smiling? Im so happy that you and Robin get to enjoy this piece of life in your prime. There is nothing like it, and you better take care of yourself, because she will be hanging on that finger for the rest of your life… You are so blessed! Love to you all… T

25. Brenda says:

Amen Dr.Phil !!! We were blessed with a grandson four years ago and I feel the same as you do. Avery is a beautiful child !!

26. nikki whitman says:

Happy birthday precious little avery!! She is sooo beautiful and extremely lucky to have such amazing people in her life xx nikki

27. Anita says:

I know exactly how yall feel, cause I have a two year old granddaughter. And yes, of course you”re biased, while she is a cutie, mine IS definitely the cutest little girl EVER!!! :-) I just love being a granny and my husband loves being a grand daddy!!

28. Darlene Pettigrew says:

Avery is a beautiful little girl. Our grandchildren are our payment for raising our children!! My heart swells when I see any of my four grandchildren. They bring out the inner child in all of us. No matter how bad a day I am having, when any of them say “Grandma”, my day gets better!!

29. Belinda Haijes says:

Dear dr Phil, I read your blog about the first birthday of Avery. When I read it I got a big smile from ear to ear. Because your blog reminded me of things my mother did with my boy Rodney ( 7 years ) my mother past away at the 8th of jauary this year. But I miss her so much I cannot describe it. And Rodney misses his grandmother so much, I have send you an email from your website, how can U help him to deal with his loss. Because there are days that he is so sad and cry a lot and when he is like that I cannot reach him. His goes to his room and he won’t talk to me or anything. And when he is like that it hurts dr Phil. I don’t know what to do anymore. There ar also days that he is just fine but every day he looks at the stars and say mom there is grandma but I hate it that she is there I want her here with us so I can joke around with her and play like we always did. And when he say that I cry because I know exactly what he means and it hurts a lot to see how he miss his grandmother. My father pasted away in 2008 and he also miss him but his connection to my mother was stronger they were like we say in Holland 4 hands on a stomic ( I don’t know how to trnslate that) but what I mean is that they knew eachother so good that when Rodney say something my mother finish his sentence.
    Please can you help me to help my little boy with his greeve ( I don’t know how to spell the word I hope that you know what I mean sorry)

But about Avery you and Robin and your familly are great and loving people and she is blessed to have you all and you all are blessed with her. She is so cute and you are so right what you wrote in your blog. I really got a smile from ear to ear your blog is full of love for that little girl. I hope that we can see the show about her soon here in Holland. I watch your show every day.
    I have one big wish and that is to go to the states one day and be there in one of your shows. But I am saving money to go but I have to save much more before I can go. Because I am also an Elvis fan and when I can go to the states I also want to go to Graceland with my husband and also Rodney and he loves orka’s ( free willy) so we also want to go to seaworld.

I really hope that I hear from you what I can do.

I love you dr Phill go on with your shows and help so much people you are a great person God bless you

love from Belinda

30. Michelle R says:

Wow!
    I had goose-bumps reading your post Dr. Phil!
    More children should have the blessing of awesome
    parents, and grandparents, and uncles, and family,
    like your little Avery!
    May God continue to bless you and yours!
    Michelle R
    Arvada, Co

31. Everything you wrote is almost a complete copy of what I’ve said since my first grandson was born. The day I saw Ian, my heart stopped! I haven’t been the same since! Two days after Ian’s first birthday, his grandpa Dave passed away from lung cancer…and has missed the birth of Ian’s twin brother and sister, Noah and Laci! We fail to remember what the good Lord has given us….please, don’t ever, regardless of your faith, forget this amazing man, who has given us a new life, in the birth of these children!
    I keep their photos posted on my facebook page, so that I can always see them, even though they are 15 min. away! They are my life, and I want all grandparents to know how happy my grandchildren make me…I know you know what I mean!! I would do anything for them…regardless!! I hope that I can live long enough to enjoy even more and more of them….in fact, I’ve told Ian that I want to teach him to drive…in 7 years….I hope to make it!!

32. Dawndi Ehrlich says:

I knew she had you wrapped around your finger! You can see the glow of your face when you speak about her or when she has been on your show. What a blessing she is and how blessed she is to have a loving Grandma and grandpa. She did steal your hearts.Dr. Phil and Robin.

33. Deborah says:

I read about Avery’s first birthday with joy, and had to smile right along with you.
    I have the joy of having my two year old grandson living with us with his dad. We also have a three year old adopted son, 5 kids on all, but only one grandson.

34. Jane says:

Oh Dr. Phil, a child can melt a heart as you are seeing. It’s so nice to see how the family has grown and I ‘believe’ it will grow with the announcement! :)
    Congratulations to Avery on her first birthday!!

35. Alesia says:

I can’t believe it’s been a year already. Take it all in it seems like yesterday when my
    oldest grandson came into this world and next year he’ll be in the ninth grade in
    high school.

May God bless you & your family.

36. Ria says:

Congratulations Dr Phil I hope you and Robin have the greatest health to watch little Avery grow into the happy healthy responsible toddler teen and adult she will be and give you back the smiles you gave her so far

May God bless your family and little Avery

37. Understand the feelings. It’s like a gravitational pull on your whole person. It is great for them to have grandparents that single them out like this, I think, especially in this world. It’s so easy to see their tender nature from a grandparent position. It is precious and needs protecting. Great update!

38. James Brown says:

I think Avery is very cute! Awww… Happy 1st Birthday Avery!

39. Kenneth Self says:

Happy Birthday, and many more!We hope you make it to a hundred and two,
    Because we always want to have and the special pleasure of great celebrating your birthday baby.

40. Charles/Betty says:

Dr Phil & Robin
    We like to wish Avery a Happy 1st Birthday and know she had a ball at her party
    Is she soon to have a baby brother or sister ?
    She is a living DOLL

41. Pat Martin says:

Even at age 63, I remember my grandmother’s hands and her manners, despite losing her when I was only 10. Grandparents have such a large impact on us and since I was an only child and have no children of my own, I will be watching your beautiful grandchild and enjoying the abundant love your family offers her. God Bless you for being such a wonderful friend and role model to all of us and enjoy your new little darlin’!! She is such a lucky little girl!

42. James Dochnal says:

Avery,

YOU ARE JUST A BEAUITFUL AUSOME ANGLE

This poem is for you and I wish you life would always be this way

MAY FLOWERS BLOOM AND MAY THE BIRDS SING.

MAY YOU LIFE GLOW JUST LIKE SUN ON THE OCEAN.

MAY IT SHINE BRIGHT.

MAY THE DARKEST OF NIGHTS BE FILLED WITH ALL THE HEAVENLEY LIGHT.

MAY YOU DAYS BE FILLED WITH JOY AS MANY AS EACH GRAINS THE SANDS OF THE SEA.

YOU ARE A ANGLE FROM HEAVEN.

SENT OWN TO SAVE THE WORLD.

Mom and Dad

May you also have the greatest life also

43. vonnie says:

I think it’s time for a grandson to match…then you can play doubles in tennis!

44. Patricia Howle says:

Dr. Phil, My husband and I had 2 boys. Our first grandbaby was born almost 2 years ago and she is the absolute light of our life. We have had her every weekend since she was born and is an incredible blessing. I have seen a side of my husband that I had never seen before and we have been married for almost 36 years. I have been told that I will love all my grandchildren the same but this one is so special.

45. Lori Tekamp says:

Happy birthday Avery,and although I am not a grandma to watch my kids with their grandparents just fills my heart with so much joy!!!It goes by fast so try to enjoy each and every moment you have with eachother!!

46. Cindy Fitzharris says:

Cindy Fitzharris says:
    March 23,2011 at 2:48 pm
    She is such a beautiful child. It is so amazing watching grandchildren. It makes you think about the circle of life. To see them running around and playing and to know that they are an extention of your child. Words can’t really describe it! I have two grandchildren that are soon going to be 3. They were born 3 months apart. They are cousins. My daughter’s daughter and my son and his son. They love each other like brother and sister. I just love them so much and they make me laugh and they think I’m the funniest Mimi who evere lived! Thanks for sharing your family with us. I love all of you. After all you are my extended family because we are all Texans!!!!

47. Yolanda says:

God has blessed you all. Happy Birthday Avery. I have 2 granddaughters 3yrs,4yrs. I have two children a boy and girl it was very easy to raise a boy but with my daughter who has been disabled since the age of 6mts I felt cheated to be able to have the joy of raising a daughter… The 2 granddaughters has made up for that. The joy to hear “I love you grandma” makes my day.. Enjoy.

48. Joan Peisley says:

Happy Birthday to your sweet Grandaughter Avery. Take in all that you can with her and enjoy many wonderful times with her. They grow up way to fast, my grandaughter (Nicole) was so fortunate to be able to spend that day with you all. She was part of the entertainment you had that day and loved every minute of it.

Sincerely, Joan Peisley

49. Joanne says:

Dr.Phil and Robin,
    welcome to the wonderful world of grandparents!!It is the most wonderful thing in the world. I LOVE being a grandmother!Happy 1rst Birthday to little Avery!!! Thank you for sharing your family with us. God bless you all…

50. christina says:

birthdays r vry special in my heart i just celebrate last november that my daughter turn 1 time do fly by with kids and you just got to soak in the momments while u have them as babies and i wishes her the best wishes for her birthday and many more she is very precious and cute.