March 21st, 2011 by Dr. Phil

Little Avery Turns 1!

Avery-bdayI know it’s been a while since my last blog posting — I know. I know! — but I can’t resist sharing this special day with all of you. This past weekend, Robin, Jay, Erica, Jordan and I gathered friends and family to celebrate little Avery’s first birthday, and let me tell you, she had a ball!

Thank you to Mother Nature for holding off the rain, which came on Sunday. I mean, we got pounded, pouring all day with winds on the mountain up to 50 mph. So blessed we didn’t get blown away on Saturday.

What an incredible day. It’s hard to believe an entire year has gone by since that little girl came into this world and just stole my heart. Yeah, and my friends are still shaking their heads and asking what’s happened to me! HA! I admit it, she’s got me wrapped around her finger like never before — but look at her there with the cake all over her face. I know I’m biased, but is she not the cutest thing you’ve ever seen?!

I told Jay and Jordan, if I had known how great it would be to be a grandparent, I would’ve had her first.

Avery-bday2I remember Robin telling me when Avery was born, “Honey, you are going to walk around with your heart in your hands.” And, boy, was she right. But it’s not just Avery’s cuteness and blooming personality that gets to me. There is something so moving and captivating about watching her get excited over the littlest of things, like a new stuffed toy or pulling on my mustache! If it sounds like I’m smiling as I write this, it’s because I am. We couldn’t be prouder of the parents Jay and Erica have become; watching them together is like seeing the world again through a brand-new set of eyes.

And I should mention that Robin, Uncle Jordan and I are the best babysitters you’ll ever find. There’s nothing we wouldn’t do for that little girl. We are here to give her one more safe place beyond her own home with her parents. We are here to make sure she knows she’ll always have back up in an unfamiliar world. It’s an awesome responsibility. And we couldn’t be more honored to fulfill it.

Tune in Monday and you’ll see how precious little Avery is. And, Jay and Erica make a surprise announcement. I can’t wait to tell my old friends the news.

Tags: , , ,

193 Responses to “Little Avery Turns 1!”

1. Anita says:

I think you were being accusatory to the Mother of Chelsea… instead of giving her the credit she deserved (as u did the grandmother… rightfully so as well) .

The mother didnt just start shutting the daughter out… and accusing her the way u did just because she called her fat was uncalled for. It was also demeaning to her when and how u commented on the credit card that she should have called the cc company to close it… which is true.. but it was the mannerism you took to further point the finger at her, in a negative mannner instead of giving her ANY props for trusting her daughter and all she did do for her.

Maybe she was at her wits end.. and would try something she hadnt tried before! Doesnt seem like the Dad was a part of the kids life to help the Mom.. busy at work escaping the home situation. I didn t hear u mention his bad parenting!

So all that the Mom did for her… and u demeaned her as a bad parent… The kid is spoiled and she was old enuff long ago to take responsibility as a human being/adult. She was manipulative and a liar…

Only time Chelsea decided she wanted her mom back was to get the car back…. that was quite clear!

2. Wendy Valzano says:

Dr. Phil – I smile and cry reading this. I love being a grandparent. BUT my 2 babies live in texas. So I do not get to see them. I saw my first grandchild born 3 years ago and I wish I was able to see my grandson born in October. BUT I found out that I had a Brain Tumor and was not able to do the trip. Surgery was needed to be done. Now I am unable to go and see them cause I owe so much on dr bills, that all I have to do is keep working. Maybe someday I will see htem again.
    Thanks, Wendy

3. Dr Phil, Avery is the cutest little girl in the world. You are extremely lucky. my mother is now a great grandmother of 4 children 3 girls and 1 boy. You are so blessed and so is Robin, Jay, & Erica. I will lay you ten to one odds that Erica is pregnant again.

4. Ricki says:

I would love to send my biggest birthday wishes to Avery.. I remember my son’s first birthday and it was one of the best days to share with him!

5. Lisa says:

you is really for frist Brithday , With her cake

6. Stephanie says:

awwww happy first birthday to your lil Avery. I also am a first time grandmother and I know exactly what your saying and how your feeling. I love my lil Mariah more than anything and so proud of my daughter for being such a terrific parent to her. I raised my daughter to be the best mother and provider she can be to her daughter. My grandaughter is 8 months and I cant wait till her 1st birthday!!! Once again congrats to you and your family with your lil Avery , shes beautiful and God Bless you All!.

7. Jenny Ryan says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AVERY! I have a 20 month old, my first child as well. LOVE IT! Good way to shed baby pounds. =) Love your show Dr. Phil. You and Dr. Drew inspired me to pursue my dreams and I am in school now to be a child Psychologist. I get so mad at people who don’t admire you. I don’t say anything, don’t worry. Well I say, “bummer I feel you may be missing out.”
    xo Jenny

8. Russell Vlaanderen. says:

Avery Doctor Erica Jay Jordan Phil/Robin. Avery Birthday Happy from me to you. by–
    the way you turn 01 next March Monday 03/28/11. Erica Jay Jordan good luck next–
    week. See you on 03/28/11. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.—————————————————————————————————–

9. Samantha Everson says:

Aw Avery HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I hope the gift of today was as beautiful as the gift you are to your family.

10. Lynda Hall says:

What a beautiful little girl! Do all of you just wonder what life was without her? I know she must have a special place in everyone’s heart. We have no grandchildren YET but what a special day it will be when we become grandparents!

11. Jan says:

There is NOTHING like being a grandparent. I LOVED being a mom, but being a grandma far exceeds that experience. We have six now and we loved each one of them in a special way. Live and love every minute with Avery. She will grow up much too fast.

12. Marilyn Pearce says:

Avery is so beautiful. You and Robin are blessed to have her in your life. I remember when my first grand-daughter was born…So I know how you feel. I love what you are doing for so many people out there. I have been a fan since day 1 and attended many of your shows and hope to attend many more. Yes, it’s sad to see so many teens with babys. If only the parents had the Lord in their lives perhaps there wouldn’t be as many. I’m not saying Christian’s aren’t perfect, just forgiven. Thank’s to you and Robin for your faithfulness to your show.

13. Donna Armstrong says:

Happy birthday beautiful little Avery. Dr. Phil and Robin. I am a grandmother of a 20 year old and 13 year old. It is the most wonderful feeling in the world.

14. Rene says:

OH MY GOOOD!!! SHE’S SOOOOOOOOOOO CUUUUUUUUUUUTE!!!

15. bev congdon says:

“The Lovingkindness of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear Him, and His righteousness to children’s children, to those who keep His covenant and who remember His precepts to do them.” Ps. 103:17-18
    May the McGraw family live in the fulfillment of that promise and blessings of your new granddaughter, Avery.

16. Kathy Finsterwald says:

Hi Dr Phil & family
    We just had our 3rd grandchild a month ago. We have a 3 year old granddaughter, Annabelle, a 16 month old grandson(whom I have never seen. they live in WA) and a month old granddaughter, Gianna. We watch Annabelle quite a bit. You are right. They go straight to your heart. We know we have to disipline her but it’s very hard. She just smiles at us and we smile back. We love her dearly. Happy Birthday to your Avery. Grandkids are awesome!!! Kathy

17. Debbie says:

Happy Birthday little Avery – I have 3 grand kids too; it’s a beautiful thing!
    God Bless you all…..

18. cheryl says:

wish your precious little grand baby happy birthday for me time good by so fast I just remember when your daughter-law came out tells she is having a baby now she is one

19. I absolutely know the kinds of feelings that you and Robin have towards Avery. I, too, am a grandmother of two granddaughter’s and there is no feeling like it. Peyton just turned 4 on March 7 and received way too many presents. Paxton just turned 3 months old. However, the one bad thing is that they live 325 miles away and I only get to see them about every 3 months. Such great feelings by being grandparents… Enjoy the ride.

20. Attie Meyer says:

Dear Dr Phil and Family but most important to the ‘girl of the moment’ Avery..
    happy, happy birthday and may the love and care you receive from these wonderful people that surround you, be the stepping stones in your life, because we all need stepping stones in our lives, that will not crumble when you need them most, and my little ‘Angel face’ you have it. right there at the tips of your little fingers, and it points straight to their hearts. May God Bless you all an may she always bless your lives with pride and joy.

21. Tanya says:

Hello just wanted response to Avery turning 1. She is adorable indeed. Something
    about a little baby that makes your perspective on life so much better. I wish you
    and your family the best. Thank you for sharing a part of your life with us. Avery
    is a joy and will warm your hearts for a long time. Enjoy every minute of her.

Thanks

22. Dear Dr. Phil & Robin: Your little Avery is so beautiful and precious, and a very happy baby from the expression on her face. You both are so lucky to share in those special moments and be able to see her grow up right before your eyes. I only have one child, a son, he got married 6 years ago. That was the last time I ever seen him, as far as calls are concerned, I have not heard from him for 2 1/2 years. For some reason unknown to me, he wants nothing to do with me. I might even have grandchildren which I dont know about, if I do, I probably will never see them and they will never know me. I have no idea what I did to him to deserve this, I brought him up as a mother and father, was with him every moment of his life, so when I seen the pictures of you and Robin with your precious Avery, the pain in my heart was unbearable because I know I will never have that kind of joy and happiness ever in my life. Value every moment with Avery, they grow up too quickly. I envy both your happiness and would do anything in my power to just have a few moments of that joy.

23. RMarie says:

What an adorable little girl! Happy Happy Birthday Avery! Keep pulling on grandpa’s mustache!! God is so good! Blessings to all of you! My only gift I can give her on the computer is a kitty: ==^÷^== !

24. Joyce Fusn says:

Happy Birthdy Avery! Your grandparents sound like doting ones like me. I clearly understand. There is nothing as precious as seeing a whole new world through the eyes of a child. My grandson turned 9 in December, and I still enjoy every moment that I can spend with him. Time with him brings learning, laughter and mending of the heart!

Avery I love watching your papaw and mamaw. Congrats Dr. Phil and Robin, you are awesome grandparents.

25. Marylou Sakosky says:

Happy Birthday lil one an many more . YOU both deserve the best in life. This is a great way to start . Happy day to Mom & Dad an of course Avery’s grandparents
    No one will ever take the place ..bet (^!^)

26. Bonnie Geckler says:

Dear Dr. Phil and Family,
    I Wish All of You Best Wishes on Avery’s 1st Birthday. I can tell, she is the Apple of your eyes and the Glory in Your Hearts. I have 6 grandchildren and each one is as Special as the first. I watch your show everyday and I just Love it. Robin you are such a Doll and I Love the way You and Dr.Phil exit the show together, thats Love. God Bless You and your Family.
    Love to All ~ Bonnie Geckler ~ Hamilton, Ohio

27. Lalaine Soriano says:

Happy birthday to your sweet angel Erica and jay! You are so lucky and blessed to have her in your lives. You are such loving and caring parents. I’m sure that you are having another child. Wish you all the best in life. Congrats Dr. Phil & Robin. You are the wonderful granparents to Avery.
    Lalaine Soriano

28. Mary C Ryan says:

Happy Birthday,you are so lucky to have such loving grandparents, I know you are going to be one happy child all the best and stay a kid as long as you can I raised three kids they are now 26,27,&29 and they are great.when you get older
    I am only going to tell you onething when you turn grow up do not wish your life away It real does go fast HappyBirthday

29. Evie Abasta says:

Congrats to grandparents of the year she is adorable
    ya hear me ?——-A D O R A B L E
    tipical california blond blue eyed beauty
    of course she is not as beautiful as my very first one and only great grand daughter lol………..kidding( or not lol)))

have fun ,you did a marlevous job with your sons
    and Avery is lucky to have you both::
    It’s a whole new wonderful life “grandkids that is”

30. Hi Dr. Phil,
    When my sister gave birth to my eldest niece fourteen years ago my mother had the same reaction you and Robin are having. Everything became about my niece; I felt like saying “Mom will I ever see you again or is this it? Can you buy me a pencil or a comb or anything ever again?…Well it was a good ride while it lasted.” My mother had the same reaction after the next three grandchildren were born as well. Enjoy it while it lasts because they become adolescents and start the process of individuation before you know it.

Best Regards,
    Nancy

31. bev congdon says:

“For the lovingkindness of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear Him and His righteousness to children’s children, to those who keep His covenant and who remember His precepts to do them.” God bless all of you as you celebrate Avery’s 1st birthday. It’s a joy to see our children’s children!

32. Tracy Gibbs says:

Happy Birthday Avery!!! I wouldn’t change things for the world, when my children had their first birthday, it was a celebration of life, faith, joy and our health. Children give us all a reason to do the best we can do in this life and give, teach, nurture & love them. That is what life is truly about!!! :-)

33. LINDA says:

I just found out, online, that I have a 6 month old grandson. My only child, my son who is in his 40’s, estranged himself from his entire family 4 years ago. He never gave an explanation of any kind why he was making that decision or what caused it. He’s made it clear that he wants no contact whatsoever with my family or his father’s family and, in fact, returned all family pictures, gifts and moved across the country to distance himself. Finding my grandson’s pictures on the internet was a shock – a bittersweet shock. My heart is broken but I am not going to define myself by this situation. I’ve still got half of my heart left and I need to use it to its fullest for the next 20 years of my life.

Congratulations on Avery’s 1st Birthday!

34. Irene Holan says:

Dr. Phil, you are ONE of the greatest grampas around. You have a beautiful grandaughter, and I’m sure whe gets a lot of attention from everyone. I watch your show all the time. You tell people right to the point, and I love it.

35. ann snowden says:

Congrats !!!!!!!!!!!!! Dr Phil & Mrs Robin I want to say that you are going and will be the BEST grandparents that any child could ever want in life. I watch your show and i think the world of you and Robin and your young men (your sons ) but most of all Avery you are just BREATHTAKING !!! and Dr Phil you will spoil Avery and the next and next grandbaby too. I have 6 grandkids and I love them dearly but I have grandkids that DO NOT derserve there parents at all and believe me I was raised with 12 brothers NO sisters and we are a close family! Happy Birthday Avery !!!

36. Marie Newman says:

Happy birthday lil Avery, May god bless you with many more.

37. notaboutme says:

Happy Birthday Avery, you are such a cutie as grampa dr. phil says…lol I am yet a grandparent yet but my niece has a lil’ boy Marques who I was very close and fond of. I miss seeing him everyday. But, life happens and I am truly blessed to have him either way. I have 2 children and I believe it would be my son who will bare children first, my daughter doesn’t want any. She is still young I think she would be a great mother though. Well, congrats to the whole family on another of God’s blessings to you all. Love your show Dr. Phil and Robin your a doll. I hope to join your stage one day. Maybe just a bit nervous?
    P.S. I may be wrong but could it be that the surprise on monday that Avery could be having a brother or sister.

Always in Prayer

38. Kayleen Ryle says:

Happy Birthday Avery lots best wishes and fantastic times to come. My little girl Savannah will be 1 on the 17th of April, Dr Phil i agree with you, watching all the little things that these beautiful children get excited over love watching the fun that they have learning about the world around them. I have 4 girls in total and i still love watching all of them learn about the world around us. Lots of best wishes to you and your family.

Kayleen Ryle (Queensland, Australia)

39. Deb Martin says:

Dr. Phil & Family-Your granddaughter is beautiful, as is your whole family. My husband and I are blessed with 11 grandchildren–9 girls and 2 boys ranging from age 2 through 13. I can say that I was not a very good mother to my children as they grew up, and I wish I had done better–but I am a very good grandma now! I feel like my grandchildren are my second chance–that’s why I appreciate them so much. I get the chance to enjoy them like I never did my own children, regrettably. They are each such a joy that I cannot imagine life without them.

If only every child in the world could be as lucky as Avery is–having so many people to love her. I know now that she will grow up to be a kind and loving person because of the influence and example that she sees from all of you who love her, and she will succeed in whatever she chooses to do because of the loving support she gets from you.
    The world would be a better place if more people were like you. You have shown how important and precious the privilege of having a child in your life truly is. Keep up the good work! You are loved and appreciated so much for all the lives you continue to touch. Have a wonderful birthday celebration with Avery! Each event you celebrate will be better than the last one–even though you don’t know how it! could be any better! Best wishes to all of you!

40. deb says:

Congrats!My first grandchild is due on Easter morning. I can’t wait. Being a grand parent is a great joy. I am lucky that I live close enough to be able to se her. He name is Kendra.

41. Shawna says:

Happy Birthday to Avery!! The big one! Wow, I remember when my boys were one, They are 6 on the 30th and 4 since Jan 15. Time flys so fast when u have little ones in the house and holidays are extra special cause they make it exciting again. We can go all out decorating for Halloween and Christmas, and the Birthday parties! Now everything that I wanted for my birthdays when I was a kid I can give to my boys. Like Monster Jam!! We went to that when It was in Winnipeg,MB, Canada. It was so cool! I think Mommy enjoyed it a little more than the boys did. Oh well. Congrats on the year of Avery, and Many Many happy more. Luv the Robinsons

42. Kim Mikulak says:

Dear Dr. Phil,
    I have watched your shows ever since you came on the air. I want to personally wish Avery Happy First Birthday and her parent also Happy Birthday too for starting out as new parents going through a whole year with her. You too.

My husband and I started out late in life at the age of 33 and 36 as new parents. We now have 2 grandsons. The first one Grayson stole our hearts too. He is now 3 years old. Our second whom we have not met yet was born in Guam where my 20 year old son is stationed in a submarine.

We are just dying to see our grandson’s and their young mom and if course our son. We have not seen them since last July 1st, 2010 when we dropped them off at the air port.

Well to get back to grand children, no one knows or understands the word GRAND in grand children until they become official grandparents. There is nothing more grand than being grandparents. Our first grandson we were able to see occationally and he would take a flying run from the foyer and into the living room where I would sit and with his arms wide open as he runs into my arms grabbing me and says I love you so so much Gama. I just loved that and I would tell him I love you so so much more than the whole wide world.

Our second son Jude is almost 7 months old and I am just dying to see him for the first time in person. Because we have had to use up all our savings, retirement because my spouse lost his job coming up on a year now being on unemployment and I am disabled on disability there is no way we could afford to go to Santa Rita where they are stationed.

Enjoy your granddaughter all you can they grow up seems like faster than our own children.

All my love to you Dr. Phil, Robin and your extended family. Enjoy then while you have them around.

God bless you for all you do and all your knowledge,
    Kim Mikulak

43. Grace DeZego says:

I am sure you have always known the joys of grandparenthood, only now you’re experiencing it. I have written you for many years about the difficult relationship I have with my daughter. After being a part of my 3 grandchildrens lives for five years when my daughter didn’t trust anyone else to care for them while she worked and earned her masters, I was cut off. After years of trying to resolve the conflicts that existed, and 5 months of getting deprived visits with my gc, I applied for mediation in NJ. Instead of attending the mediation, my daughter and s-i-l hired an attorney and chose not appear. The court summoned us to appear before the Judge where the case was dismissed. Thank God, I did receive monthly visits and one holiday. (This after spending 14 birthdaysand holidays yearly, vacations, sleep-overs, etc. I am attending a GP Support Group in Raritan NJ. Not one of the 25 GPs have access to their GC. Please Dr. Phil, help us to change the laws so that grandchildren can have a relationship with their loving, and caring grandparents.

44. Kimi says:

Avery is absolutely adorable. Happy Birthday baby girl! I’m sure the party was spectacular. =)

45. mj thorne says:

She is adorable. Of course MY grandaughter is in contention for the most adorable child in the world, also in competition with my grandson. There will come a time in their life when you are interacting and caving in to their heart’s desire when your own child will look at their spouse and say” This not the woman that I grew up with!” Apparently someone took over my body when I became a grandmother thus allowing me to feel no guilt in spoiling my grandchildren. I don’t have a problem with this.

46. Kim says:

I truly understand how little Avery has your heart. We became grandparents 5 years ago! It is just an amazing experience to watch them as they discover new things everyday and how they become so excited. It would be so wonderful if we could just bottle those exciting moments. I only wish they could stay so innocent to the “real” world, you just want to protect them forever. Enjoy every minute as I know you and Robin will, you both know how fast your children grow up. I used to rock my little guy to sleep and just sit there and look at him in wonder not wanting to put him down. You already know once they are on the move you don’t get that chance to often. Happy Birthday to Avery!

47. Deanna Chelf says:

Dear Dr Phil, Happy Birthday to the baby. Although, this is not why I am sending you this message. I sent you an e-mail yesterday. It was short, but to the point. I will e-mail you
    everyday untill I hear from you, so you might as well contact me. I say this with total and complete respect, of course. I need your help!!!!I will be talking to you soon. Thankyou and have a blessed day! Deanna Chelf

48. Maureen Dowd says:

Hi,

I just want to wish little Avery a very happy birthday. And it’s lovely to see the joy she brings to her parents and grandparents.

X to Avery.

49. Carly says:

Dr Phil & Robin…
    Happy Birthday to your adorable granddaughter, Avery. It just so happens that my daughter…Avery Elizabeth (!!!!) is turning 1 a week today! It’s so fun to watch your show today and see that there’s another adorable Avery Elizabeth out there in the world. My Avery is a little strawberry blond and just as cute!
    All the best to your family and congratulations on the news of another!

Carly

50. Mickey says:

I loved watching the birthday show. Avery is so beautiful and such an adorable, little girl. I can feel Robin’s and your excitement as grandparents and m husband and I can totally relate. We now have three grandchildren; they are the light of our lives. They have us wrapped around their little fingers and we love it. I am thrilled for your family. God is so good.