May 14th, 2011 by Dr. Phil

Putting Obesity out of Business

junkFood1I’m worried about kids today for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is the fact that so darn many are getting overweight and out of shape. Today, one out of three children under the age of 12 is now considered medically overweight. And the tragedy is that we know that very few of those children ever lose that weight. Seventy percent of those children will become overweight and obese adults and endure all the problems both psychological and physical that come with it. Diabetes and heart disease are exploding among the overweight and obese — so much so that experts now say the lethal effects of obesity are literally greater than cigarette smoke. Are you hearing that? Today, obesity is our number one public health issue above all others.

I lived it personally as I grew up and saw those very disorders present in family members. Both of my parents and all three of my sisters have battled obesity their entire lives. I lost my father way too early due to problems associated with being way too heavy. I have extended family members who are over 500 pounds and had a number of aunts and uncles who were over 300 pounds. I have seen the pain and loss of function it causes. I have had to watch it myself, because I have inherited conditions that make it easy to let it get away.

Which is why if you’re a parent of an overweight child, you have some work to do. It isn’t just up to the child. You are the one who buys, prepares and presents most of the food they eat, or you give them the money to buy what you don’t prepare. You can’t do it for them, but you can sure contribute to the solution!

They have learned what they “like” to eat, and what is learned can be unlearned.

junkFood2I’m committed to helping you with this issue. On Friday’s show, I show you three major mistakes you can stop making today with your children when it comes to their eating. On top of that, we’ve got all kinds of tips to help you on DrPhil.com. We’ve got a lot of strategies on the Web site for those of you parents who also are overweight and out of shape. You’re not going to be able to help your kids nearly as effectively unless you become good role models for them.

I’m so committed to this endeavor; in fact, I’ve asked two people whom I deeply respect — Robert Reames, a certified strength and conditioning specialist who was the trainer for our “Ultimate Weight Loss Solution” series, and Dr. Frank Lawlis, the Chairman of our Advisory Board — to write entries for my blog that will run over the next couple of days, after Friday’s show. What they have to say will go a long way to helping you power up and start making real changes.

Meanwhile, give me your questions and comments. What’s your biggest challenge? What do you need info about to make some real changes? I promise, I’ll do my best to answer your questions.

We can do this, but it starts with one home, one life at a time. Make a commitment to give your kids a different and a very special gift this Christmas. Give them a healthy lifestyle and a chance at freedom from obesity and all the side effects that come with it. Like cousin Eddie said to Clark in Christmas Vacation when he got jerked around by getting a membership to the Jelly of the Month Club, “It’s the gift that will keep on giving.” HA! But this time, it’s true!

Tags: , , ,

148 Responses to “Putting Obesity out of Business”

1. I really wish I could be on your show but it is impossible for me. I am way over weight. I am 5′3” & weigh 218 lbs. My husband & I have not had sex in over 20yrs.
    I miss my best friend, our relationship has changed so much. I know he loves me but the love is no longer there. I am disabled so I am unable to exercise. I am hoping you know someone in or near my city who would be willing to help me. Unfortunally my husband is disabled too so our only money is our social security so I have no money to pay any one. I know it’s a lot to ask but I am desperate. With my health & being 61 & turning 62 in October I know I don’t have a lot of time left & I would like to get back to where we were when we were 1st married. At least the 1st 20 years. I wish I could get the help from you because I really believe in you but I can’t. If there is anything you could do to help I would really appreciate it.
    Sincerely, Marilyn Wagner missysimba68@yahoo.com

2. Biana says:

What an awesome way to explain this now I know everythnig!

3. So many kids get on facebook to play games , have fun and talk to their friends. I recently looked up Steve Irwins daughters facebook page . I could not believe , how many rude comments were left on her sight. Other young kids on face book probably get rude not appropriate comments too. Something about face book guide lines should be addressed. this really bothered me to see such trash by people on Bindi Irwins face book . My family loved watching “the croc hunter”. The Irwin family does so much good at their zoo . and for endangered animals. THE Irwin family deserves respect as does every person.

4. GemaaktinNederland says:

When I was a kid I had overweight. It has given me a bad childhood because I was bullied in several places in my neighborhood and school. I was fourteen when I started losing weight and I’m not arrive. The harassment has led a part of my life because I was very insecure, afraid and nothing was a very withdrawn attitude, but over the years I taught myself to be more confident and more sure of myself. I now have a good self-image and even that was long ago that I had. I was first teased when I was five or six years until I was eleven years from when the drama was over. It was a long path to my life back on track to get, but it is worth now I’m twenty years. I have graduated and am ready to start building my life. I leave the past behind me

5. Corrine A. Taylor says:

Hi Dr. Phil, —I am writing to ask you to help my son. I believe my behavior has been abusive to him. I know my excuse is mental illness and not being aware. Yes it is a valid one, but I have become aware over the last 3 years or so and now I am just stuck with bad habits. I am obese and now my nineteen year old son is obese weighing almost 350lbs the last weigh in and climbing. It is unfair because this kid loves to dance, act and sing. It is so obvious to me that my co-dependency, that I called protecting him was not good for him. Please help him Dr. Phil. He was diagnosed with autism at age 16 years but before that it was just learning disability. So imagine this kid with this great memory great potential for achievement being stuck with a depressive, BPD, PTSD and skitzo affective disorder mother. He wants to go to college and follow in his older brother and sister footstep who graduated. I have isolated him from peers through my fear. There is so much more I would like to say to you but i have learned to make my voice smaller so my children could be heard. Please help. —Grace and Peace always to the purpose-filled work you are doing.

6. Marilyn Klerx-Hardie says:

Dr. Phil and all of us trying to lose weight,

I bought your book, The Ultimate Weight Solution, and I love your point of view that, instead of simply wrestling with a food we want to eat, we should view weight management as steps in the direction that we want to go.

I lost 8 pounds, and then I watched your show about the 17 day diet. I was astounded that you were using the word “diet”, so I thought that this must really be good–you don’t do anything without research. So I bought that book, too. I have lost 16 pounds up to now. I want to lose another 15.

While reading your book, Dr. Phil, I realized that, in my yo-yo days, when I was at my biggest (around 200 pounds) but had lost the first pound, I would feel skinny, beautiful and energetic. When I reached my goal weight but put the first pound back on, I would feel fat, sloppy, ugly and exhausted. I thought this was wierd, some symptom of body-disporph (what’s the word?)

This time, I realized that I LOVE that feeling when I am managing my weight, and I want to keep it! So I am not only excited about reaching my goal, but continuing to feel this healthy and good! After all, weight is only a number., but the feeling is everything!

Do other people recognize this?

7. JoAnn says:

Dr. Phil I saw your show on the entitled young ladies.
    After being introducted to Kelly Cutrone, I concluded that Erica made a 360 degree turn. Erica may not know how to take care of herself, but the fact that she knows that education is important in ones life is a very, good start. Everything else can, and she will eventually learn. And, she is a very beautiful young lady, and she can stop play the dumb blonde, because now she will have a law degree to say different.
    Now Josie is just stubborn, and doesn’t take criticism easily, she has to attack. Maybe she should keep in mind that criticism helps a person to grow.
    And Kelly is rude, she attacks people’s capabilities. She also keeps insulting people when they try to make an apology for their lack of abilities, like Josie.
    But, these young ladies weren’t capable of functioning with their life, because of their nuturing mother’s. “MOTHERS,” what would we do without them? Almighty God bless us all.

8. Linda Fletcher says:

I have a daughter who is now 11 years old and overweight. Two years ago when her weight began to climb (at the time it was 120 lbs), I spoke with our pediatrician. She set us up with an appointment with a weight clinic sponsored by Arkansas Children’s Hospital. At the 4 hour clinic visit, 4 separate physicians or specialists talked with both of us. They weighed her, had her walk a treadmill for about 10 minutes. We discussed eating habits, excercise, and health issues. The final statement when I asked how they could help me help her and how she could help herself was “…keep doing what you say you are doing and eventually she will grow into her weight.” I was furious! She wasn’t loosing weight by doing what we were already doing. Why would a pediatrician tell a parent of an overweight child that the child will eventually grow into her weight?

9. dee says:

I know this must sound like I am making this up but…. I love fruit and vegetables. but the thing is I can no longer(after my last pregnancy) eat them without them being cooked. I eat it fresh and I end up vomiting. I am over weight and my youngest(10) son is too. I would love to get any advise to get my son to want to eat them. He thinks because I don’t eat them it is gross. please help I have try different ways,but nothing has worked.

10. Cindy Aragon says:

Dear Dr.Phil, I have seen you and other talk about the growing obesity problem in the US. I am in my 50’s and was never overweight until in my mid-forty’s. I’ve heard the ‘pros’ speak to the question about why are Americans suddenly overweight? I sincerely don’t buy the answer that we are lazy, fast food eating people. I know you’re in the same age group, so you must remember back in the early days when I biggest people we ever saw was Jackie Gleason and The Skipper on Gilligan’s Island! I mean, we thought they were huge! Now, they would fit right in with the average person. Now there are so many American’s at a young age that weigh in over 350-600 pounds. That’s outrageous! Even when I was young growing up in Southern CA. , my parents were from Oklahoma. EVERYTHING we ate was fried. That’s the way our large (no pun intended) family cooked and everyone had seconds. I learned to cook the same way. But not person in our family was ever overweight. And not everyone was athletic or even thought about going for walks or runs or anything except maybe sitting in a chair and drinking beer. On family picnics the adults only activity was Horseshoes. And if you didn’t have second helpings of all that food, it was an insult. My grandparents couldn’t have shoved enough food into all of us! Plus, we always had to make that homemade peach ice cream. But people, especially kids didn’t blow up with obesity, diabetes and other health issues like now days.
    I cannot bring myself to believe that it’s all from video games, laziness and fast food. We ate fast food a lot while growing up because our parents worked 2 jobs and there wasn’t always time to cook. And not everyone was out playing til dark. There’s has to be another reason-something related to what is in our foods either fast foods or fresh bought from the stores, that has turned us into these huge, unhealthy Americans. We never had to think of portion control or fitness trainer or rarely going to a gym! If someone could figure out what has really happened to cause this epidemic…and stop saying that from childhood to the grave we are just lazy and abusive with food, and get to the real problem of what has happened to our food from the farm, to the factory to the store, now that would be something I’d listen to. I’m not a person who believes everything is a conspiracy…BUT there’s something just not right with our food.
    I became about 50 pounds overweight about 8 years ago after my 18 year old son was in a serious car accident. I had never been over weight, even while pregnant with him in the ’70’s. I was depressed and stressed and just put on the weight and it won’t come off. People were stressed in the ’50’s -’60’s,’70’s and 80’s but my gosh, they didn’t put on 500 pounds! Please tell me that there may be another reason. I’d sure love to hear someone, anyone, just suggest it, besides hearing it’s all our own bad behavior.
    Thank You for your time.

11. Sofie says:

I live in Belgium and today I saw the show about obesities. The only thing I want to add is that it’s not always our choice to be fat. I have a thyroid that won’t work. I lost 15 kilo in 1 year and I gained it in 1 week because of that. And it’s sad because I am going my whole life now to a dietician. And still I’m the fat girl who eats too much….

12. Samantha says:

It’s true. Obesity is a huge problem in our society. It causes bullying and you not feeling very good about yourself, or maybe not feeling very energetic. I would love it if people changed their life style for the better. It can really actually change your life and how you feel.

13. Sandy Rupp says:

I have always had a problem with weight since I was in High School. I now understand why and I am working on it. Weight problems in children trouble me deeply. Now as a Grandmother of 11, I have a granddaughter that is heading in that direction. I have had discussions with her mother about what I see, i.e–eating packages of sugar and sweetners in resturants while waiting for the food order. I watched her drink some sweet pickle juice right from the jar in her refridgerator and did say something to my granddaughter about that. I’ve seen her eat nothing but a baked potatoe with tablespoons of sour cream and then turn around and have large bowls of icecream, all sorts of chips and continued snacking. Her mother is trying to teach her to make better choices in what she eats, and I encourage that. My question, as a Grandmother where do I draw the line in this matter. I don’t want to see her go through what I did as a child or what her mother did as a child. The kicker in this is that I am not the biological Grandma, but biology is not everything and I love all my Grandchildren. Can you help, where are the boundries in this problematic situation.

14. Heather says:

Dear Dr. Phil,
    I am a 39 year old female who weights 335 pds and am a compulsive eater. I have been in OA for 11 years this summer, I do not remember my exact date when I joined the program. I have actually gained weight in the program. I also have gone to a treatment center in Oconomowak, WI for three months about 3 to 4 months after joining the OA 12 step program, but did not have much success. I need help and I am reaching out to you because I am unable to get the help I need to stop this viscous cycle I am on. Some more history on me, I do have a mental illness, bi-polar disorder, that is under control at this time. I also am in college at this time. One other thing obesity does run in my family I have a aunt who is overweight and I had a Great-Aunt who died from this and two other compulsions. Is there anyway you can help me? And this time keep me until a cure clicks.

15. Tina says:

TO Cindy Aragon: I believe there is a difference in portion size as well as transfat was/is used. If you look at the bread roll used in a Big Mac, you will find it loaded with sugar which wasnt the case back in the day. Added sugars and fats are in everything we eat and the effect is multiplied over and over all day long, even as we try to avoid these things, we are also confronted with ‘false & misleading’ dietary advice on the products. Then of course there is a lot more time spent on the computer/play station, however that is individual choice.
    So, I believe the food we eat is handled by far too many people & overly processed with preservatives and colourants that other ingredients we cant understand. The frsher you can get your food, Cindy, the better.

16. Nisha says:

Dear Dr.Phil

My name is Nisha and I’m 20-year-old from South Africa who has a 10-year-old brother who is, according to his doctor, 17 kg’s overwieght and consequently has asthma. I don’t want to be on TV I just want advice on how I can help my brother.

Yours sincerely,
    Nisha

17. Rhonda Estep says:

I would love to see the show again, in ways to help obese children and parents role in11 this….I try to tape your shows, but somehow, I missed this one. I was obese growing up, had gastric surgery to lose the wt., but am still battling the pounds. My dtr. is obese & her daughter who is only 11 yrs. old. We have been trying to help her but I do not want her self esteem to go down, because she doesn’t always make the right decisions….We need your help, please show it again, maybe it will inspire us to use new tools.
    Thanks, and love your show, you & Robyn are absolutely wonderful!

18. Ad says:

Dear Dr.Phill,

I’m a 16-year-old from Asia who is 7 kg’s overweight.
    I think that there is a deeper reason for eating too much than loving food.
    I bite my nails and eat too much food when i’m depressed.
    I have no idea why i’m so depressed all the time (I know one reason for that is school issues, such as final exams, GRADES, etc.).
    Because of this depression I don’t act like an ordinary teenager- I hate parties, I don’t go out, I don’t care about my look, I feel sick all the time and i’m kind of paranoid.
    Can you help me?
    Thanks and I love your show.
    sincerely,
    Ad.

19. Shaquana says:

I think that the ‘weight’ problem is indicative of a larger problem with regards to our children. I believe that it is far more complex than simply saying ‘kid, stop eating this/that/whatever and eat this instead’..even more complex than eating healthy food in front of them and so many of the other strategic attempts we make to manipulate our children’s input.

As parents we are a busy society. Two-income families to make ends meet, and if the mother has the luxury of staying home then there are all sorts of things to claim her attention. And food becomes a substitute for time and love. It is easier to ‘give in’ to the child, and to just give them whatever unhealthy meal it is that they want..than to give them what it is that they really -need-…that being one on one time doing healthy activities.

Over-eating is only part of the problem. It isn’t rocket science to know that when one doesn’t get out and -do- things that burn up calories, the calories that we do eat are going to pile on. And so often I see and hear parents sitting down and ‘watching’ their children play, or sending them out to play (if they aren’t spending time on video games/computers etc), rather than going out and playing -with- the child. Without that time; without that input; as parents, we feel guilty for ‘neglecting’ our children’s physical/emotional needs and so, when it comes time to encourage the child to eat, to turn him/her on to certain foods etc etc, we are finding out children turning on only to the sugars and starches which give them that sense of ‘ahhh, I feel ok’ temporarily. We turn them into sugar-junkies…where sugar and foods are substitutes for that parent-child activity play time that is so needed and wanted usually by both parties.

Just my thoughts

20. karen Vaughan says:

I went to israel and lost about 8 kgs out of 62kgs – other girls lost 30kgs in about 2 months and they were not healthy – all over our bodies our muscle tone increased doing ordinary housework – 4 me I didnt notice , other people told me and I looked down and then I saw that my leg muscles had toned up to almost perfect shape in 3 weeks – so I say go to israel

21. Tammy says:

Dear Dr.Phil

I watched your show on childhood obesity and I am having the same problem. My issue is that my husband has custody of our son from the age 4 he is know 12yrs old and weight 211 at 4′ 10 “. I have tried to take my son on at least 3 days a week. When with me I do not allow soda and control what he eats. We go roller skating,hiking,canoeing,any thing to get him active. But my issue is he will go home and dad will take him out to eat because what he had with me was not good enough.My son lies and says we didn’t eat.So I would tell his dad in front of him what and when we ate but they go any way. My son consumes a lot of Mountain Dew and fast food. I am loosing the fight with taking him out. I feel like I am pushing him up a big hill but as he gets older and heavier I can’t push him up that hill any more. I wish there was a law that allowed the courts to give custody to the other parent based on the neglect that this child is being put through. I am afraid every time my phone rings and I look down and it is my ex-husbands number because the first thing that goes threw my mind is my son has had a heart attack. I work in the medical field and I see the health issues people have due to their weight. Dr. Phil help!!!!

22. Kathy says:

Before you start bashing parents all together, Dr. Phil, you need to know there are other reasons why the obesity rate is so high in both children & adults. You have kids who suffer from both hypothyroidism and a number of genetic illnesses, including Prader Willis Syndrome. PEDIATRICIANS don’t even screen for Prader Willis, so parents are not aware of their children suffering from this disease. Before you are so quick to judge, Dr. Phil, YOU need to educate yourself on BOTH the medical AND emotional aspects of obesity (you may have a kid like me who suffered in silence from emotional & sexual abuse) that used food to self-medicate, AND who has a family history of thyroid-related illnesses! “Experts” like yourself are contributing to the bullying of obese children, no matter how good intentioned you may THINK you are! And as you know, losing the weight doesn’t solve the reasons WHY you gained the weight in the first place!

23. maria asturias says:

About obesity: It starts at home, by way of the cultural way we eat; If Iam from mexico I love my tamales, my burritos, my tacos, my pozole, my menudo ext. If I am from El Salvador I love my pupusas, my soup of feet, my yuca with chicharrones, my atol the elote, my fried plantation with cream, my bunuelos,ext. so all countrys have the food that make us grow fat, and living in this country where we eat like there is not tomorrow because of the blessings we have here

24. ginny spindle says:

I’m writing about our 11 year old granddaughter She’s close to 200 pounds.Between 180 and 200 ibs.her parents divorced 2 years ago.Her mother doesn’t care anything about her health and wellbeing.All she wants is the $125.00 a week in child support she gets.By the way,she’s overweight also.We can only hope she drops dead from a heart attack but we’re not that lucky.We keep hoping a law will be passed making it a criminal offense for a parent to allow their kids to get in this shape.Our garnddaughters is Taylor.Before the divorce she was happy and healthy.We’re not allowed ro be a part of her life now thanks to mommy dearest.All her Mother is interested in is revenge against my wife and I and our son.Taylor gets no excersize.She’s left home alone to fend for herself while her mother works but that’s another story.
    Anyway,we feel better teling part of the story.The court system sucks.
    Thanks,Ginny

25. Aubrey says:

This is what I’ve observed:

Childhood obesity shows seem to focus mostly on the food when what they should be focusing on is the activity. Kids are made to run and jump and play outside. You see a healthy kid, they run everywhere they go. (”Stop running in the house!”) Sure, provide kids with healthy meal choices, but as far as making them eat all lowfat stuff or no desserts or no extra helpings … I say just let them play outside.

I’ve worked at a daycare for the last several years, one where we are outside every day we possibly can be. When we can’t go outside because of the weather, we do an exercise video in the mornings. We take regular walks. We serve varieties of foods, follow the food programs, but it’s mainly kid food – hot dogs, chicken nuggets, mac ‘n’ cheese are favorites. We serve seconds, as long as they taste everything. Recently, the Indiana state food program for daycares has started requiring that we serve only 1% or skim milk to kids 2 and up. We can’t serve 2% milk anymore, quite probably resulting from the obesity initiative that has gained so much momentum. As far as I know, there is no similar regulation regarding exercise to qualify for government reimbursement.

Exercise and activity are the keys. TV and video games not only rob us of physical activity, but they also dull our brains, which are the biggest calorie burning organ in the body! If you take the kids outside instead of planting them in front of the TV, they never lose their naturally active state, and thus, they don’t get fat. I have watched several chubby babies, even fat babies, turn into normal-sized toddlers and kids over the years. We don’t have a single fat kid enrolled in our daycare. And we serve pop tarts for snack sometimes.

From another perspective, I have struggled with an eating disorder for some years now, and the more emphasis is put on weight and food, the more I see younger and younger kids fret about whether they are fat. Eating disorders are hell on earth, and I don’t want to see a single one of my kids go through what I had to. Yet I’ve had ten year olds tell me that they think they are fat because they weigh eighty pounds.

Why don’t we teach kids about vitamins and minerals instead of about counting calories, about whole grains and fiber and how your body needs these things to feel good and help you think and function and be as smart as you can be? Let’s make the connection early about eating to feel healthy rather than just eating X number of calories a day? And let’s give kids time to play outside! Not just team sports in gym class that some kids are not suited to. (I hated gym class.) Let them have recess where they can swing or jump rope or run or whatever activity best suits them.

Exercise first. Food second. Teach them to love feeling healthy. They exercise and get good nutrition, they won’t get obese. They love feeling healthy, you cut out most eating disorders. (When you have an eating disorder, you learn to love feeling unhealthy.)

And that’s how I see it.

26. Michele says:

I grew up in a fmaily of obese people and have always, for as long as I can remember, have been overweight!

I am now 32 years old, have 2 children and a spouse who I love dearly! Neither my spouse or children are overwieght. I have always thought that we eat fairly healthy and make good choices for ourselves yet I continue to put on weight and cannot seem to take it off. I think my biggest problem has been portion control and not eating regularly… I would get up in the morning and run with nothing but coffee in my body until supper time when I would sit down and stuff myself! I would also choose to ’snack’ on things like cookies & potato chips!

A low point for me was when my Doctor told me that he felt I would be a good candiate for gastric bypass surgery! I thought this was going to be enough to snap me into reality and begin to make changes however I still continued with the same old eating habits!

Over a year after this conversation with my doctor, I purchased the 17-Day Diet book (in May 2011) with full intentions of beginning the diet asap. Life simply got away from me, or so I told myself and I continued to put it off right through until August!

I did being to read the book in August, set a goal and a start date!

I weighed myself the morning of Day 1 and I was at an all time high of 293lbs!

On Day 35 (Day 1 of cycle 3) I weighed myself and was so PROUD to see the scale stop at 258lbs!!!

I have lost a total of 35lbs in 34 days and have not struggled to do so!

I would definitely reccommend this diet to anyone who is looking to change their lifestyle and drop some weight. It has been wonderful and I feel wonderful, not only because I have lost so much weight in such a short period of time but also because I have more energy than I have had in a long time! It is great to wake up in the morning and feel as though I can carry on throughout the day without feeling tired and run down!

27. Angelic says:

I think we need to revamp the systems that govern how we eat and play in our country! GMO, food subsidies, media boom, free kid activities, safe play areas…

28. Louis Yuhasz says:

We all need this help, you know it so I won’t say “trust me.” I run what’s thought to be the only not for profit organization paying for therapists, paying for trainers, nutrition coaches, you name it, for kids who are obese and have parents that can’t afford help or don’t know where to start. Today we’re seeing kids that are 300, 400 and yes, believe it or not 500 pound kids. We need people to understand the magnitude of this epidemic and to not continue to turn a blind eye. This affects each one of us, regardless if your child or you suffer from being overweight or obese. The average tax-payer spends $1,600 per year on obesity related illness in health care dollars alone. It’s time for us as a nation to act and I encourage you Dr. Phil, as well as your followers to check out http://www.louieskids.org to see how you can help.
    Thanks for this post as well as your commitment to end this horrible epidemic.
    Louis Yuhasz-Founder/CEO
    Louie’s Kids

29. Pam says:

I watch the biggest loser every week and I am very impressed with the results that they achieve in a short time. MY problem is that I am not obese but I am heavier then I should be. I use to be a size 3-7 and now I’m a size 14 IF I put the waistband below my belly and the top over that so the world doesn’t see that I did that. I know you are a big believer in weight control and I try my very best to eat right as much as possible. I don’t go to quick food joints, drink soda or even eat much in snacks but the weight just doesnt’ come off. As far as exercising I need a guide to tell me what to do and when to do it. some scheduling help I guess you would call it otherwise I find other things to do with my time or I have a million excuses why not to workout. Why don’t you pick people to come to your retreat place and get the girls from PINK METHOD to run a “PINKEST” loser contest? I would love to be a part of it

30. Ed says:

After raising 7 children and now have 10 grandchildren, it is most important to help them in the food purchasing process. We should not believe just because food tastes good and is convenient that it is a healthy choice.

I remember as I would enjoy time with one of my grand daughters, we would eat out often and I purposely took her to good restaurants not fast food. My reasoning were selfish. I believe she will probably be taking care of me when I am elderly and I was training her to provide good food for me at a later time. However, she grew a little older and discovered fast food because her mother was always to busy to cook.

My grand daughter is now on the obese side, and you can tell it is because of the fast food she consumes. The moral to this story is “help you children in proper food consumption.”

31. Carolyn Morman says:

I am overweight weighing in at 284 pounds. I have been overweight over ten years and I can’t loose it on my own naturally…I was a size twelve back when my son was born and I got sic in college and suffered from a deep depression and was later diagnosed with bi-polar disorder.I am on disability and do not have the means to buy equipment in order for me to loose the weight. I have a teenage son who is very talented and I would love to make him and myself proud of me….I need an intervention very,very, bad…PLEASE HELP ME!!!DR. PHIL…Please…

32. JJ says:

I am making it my New Year resolution to change my life…… I am severely over weight as is my husband and 6 yr old son. I know it runs in his family but that’s no excuse. I have got to change things. So we bought Just Dance 3 to help work up a sweat and now I will be finding online resources for encouragement. I’d love to purchase the P.I.N.K method but really can’t afford anything right now. We don’t even have an oven, we have the stove top but no oven. I’m basically just asking for prayers for all of us fluffy ones. I will do everything I can to improve the life for myself and my family. My sister was just diagnosed with Type II Diabetes and I don’t want that to be me. That you for posting the information and I’m praying it will indeed help.

33. jy says:

I am overweight weighing in at 247 pounds and I’m planning to loose my weight. BUT STILL I cant do it. I ate lot of foods during midnight. Sigh! I’m frustrated!

34. Donna Says March 21, 1967 Dr. Phil, I was never overweight until I turned 42 years old. Now at the age of 62 I can not get down to the weight that I want to be at. I weigh 150 pounds. I have a bad back with herniated Discs and have pain every day. I can walk just not to far. I have started only eating one meal per day trying to lose the weight. I always eat no later than 5 P.M. and do not go to bed until at least 10 P.M.! I walk my dog at least 4 to 5 times per day and we walk about 1/4 up to 1/2 a mile each time I take her out! I want to lose at least 30 to 35 pounds. Do you have any suggestions? Heart Disease and Diabetes is in my family members! My Dad and Grandfather both died of a massive heart attack and that scares me! I have to live on SSI so I don’t have the money to pay for anything. I barely get by as it is! Thank you and your wife very much!! You have a beautiful wife! Donna Christlieb

35. lisa hall says:

Knowledge and applying knowledge, gives everyone the power to change. So with that said, grow your own food. We live by a rule: dirt made my lunch, or breakfast or dinner. This means the closer to the dirt your food came from the better it is. If it goes through many hands in many days or months, the farther away form the dirt it is, the less nutrtious it is. Another point is preservatives, all kinds of chemicals to make the food have a longer shelf life, read your label We believe that these chemicals are causing all the diseases and problems, from mental to behavior to physical. Grow your own, catch your own fish, raise your own cows and chicken, or pigs. Buy form your neighbors that grow their own.Start a neighborhood or community garden. The closer to the dirt your food comes from, the less likely it is to have anything manmade and life altering in it. Try it! Not just for a day, for a lifetime. You should only drink water, Just until, you get back down to where you want to be. Get up move around 30 minutes of every hour of your day until you can lose weight and move around and exercise more vigorously. If it took you 10 years to put on all that weight, give your self at least five to take it off properly. A diet is what you eat every day to maintain proper body functions. What you put in, is what you get out. If you put junk in that has no nutritious value, then you get junk out. Yes, you feel like junk. And finally, all you people out there trying to look and act like all those others on tv, that’s not real, they have money and spend their whole day being helped by someone else to look that way. Think about It!!!!

36. Londi says:

I think that part of the reason is, we are all trying to save money, so we buy the cheaper snacks. These days, the cheaper it is, the more unhealthy it is. If parents are eating pre packaged meals and feeding their kids the same, they are not only feeding them enough sodium to last them a week, but they’re putting preservatives and other chemicals into their bodies and the bodies of their children. I don’t have children myself, but I’m even guilty of buying the cheaper bag of chips than the more expensive nature granola bar. With that much sodium and sugar in my system, that’s all I crave. I hate it! But if I’m going to save money, it seems that buying the unhealthy option is the wise one in that. I can’t afford to buy ingredients for a home cooked meal if I am going to make it from scratch, but I can afford it if part of it is in a box, or a can, or a jar. That’s not a good thing. We need someone to not only teach us how to eat right, but someone that can teach us how to save money in the process and to teach us to help make sure that we are able to stretch those foods enough to feed the whole family and not just ourselves.

37. Rachel says:

I’m 34 years old and I feel like my life is over before it ever began. I’ve been overweight all my life and right now I’m the heaviest I’ve ever been at 450lbs. I’ve tried all kinds of diets over the years and I’d lose a few pounds and then gain them back. I’m on a diet for a week and lose 10 pounds and then I start to feel better and go back to my old eating habits. I’ve thought about having weight loss surgery but it really scares me and I’d much rather do it on my own. I tell myself that I need to try harder but I just can’t keep my motivation going. I have lots of nieces and nephews that I want to see grow up and I don’t want to leave this world before my time. I’m willing to do anything. Please help!

38. Kimberly says:

How do i start. I will just jump in. I recently moved in with my partner. i was floored at how much his kids ate. His daughter isnt terriblly over weight. she is 9 and normal height for her age. a lil chunky not bad. Now his son who is 7 weighs 108 pounds and is short and stocky stubby. i have a 9 yr old who eats half his dinner and is done. i seen his kids eat 3 adult portions of dinner for at least 3 nights in a row. i thought to myself wow. I believe he just simply over feeds them. but they whine that they r still hungry. this is more generated towards his son. they eat healthy. love fruits. will eat u out a house and home on fruit. but they over eat . how do i cut down the portions and help my partner realize he can not keep feeding them that much? There is no possible way they r hungry. we arent talking kid portions. These r adult portions.

39. Bobby says:

Body type, activity , honeroms and age. The body puts on fat either than anything else muscle is the hardest thing to build and create.A lot of skinny ppl think they can eat whatever they like and not put on weight. Not true.I have yet to see anyone in my lifetime that goes from childhood to old age congesting 11,000 calories a day as most of the super obese do and remain slim.Sinitra, Tyra, Jerry Lewis,Twiggy -natural Twigs all put weight on due hormonal ageing.

40. Bonnie Jeffers says:

On Aug.27,2012 I had gastric bypass surgery to save my life and also have spinal stenois and was walking with a walker….could not stand at my kitchen counter…and as of today May 10,2013 I have lost 117 lbs and have 60 more to go…But I would of done it all over again…so much happier..I thank the Lord for giving me the strength to go on….:~)

41. Bill Ray says:

Obesity is the biggest killer here in Australia. To many fast foods and quality food costs a lot more.

42. paula young says:

I have a HUGH weight problem that I can no longer control. I tried a lot diet plans small portstions it never worked. my family does not understand & that does not help yelling at me, saying a lot of it is my fault. thank you

43. Sandra says:

Help! I do not know what to do, I am over weight, my Mom that lives with me is over weight and now my 8 year old son is too. I do not know where to begin, I worry about all of our lives. Mom and I both have health problems, some days its hard just to walk. We need help, please give me some ideas where to begin.

sandra

44. Ida Norris says:

I have battled with my weight all my adult life, then last year I had the lap-band surgery and I have lost 63 pounds and still need to lose 37 more and then hold it around 150. I still wouldn’t be skinny but I think that I’d be ok with that. My main problem is that I get hungry and eat too fast and get choked, and some times throw up.
    It’s all in my head I guess. How can I get a handle on feeling deprived?

45. Sally says:

One of the biggest challenges I face as a mother and therapist I striving to get children off on the right foot with helping to teach the advantages of a well balanced diet. If we start young by introducing healthy foods and incorporating them into their diet, they will learn to like the variety and it will and can be a part of their natural diet. We can’t take the easier softer way of giving in and allowing them to dictate what they will and won’t eat. I don’t believe in forcing a kid to stay at the table till they finish eating but at least trying and implementing new and healthy foods into their daily life is a good start.

46. beth says:

please help me im very over weight and need help please help

47. Ricky Thornton says:

Dr. Phil, my granddaughter is 11 years young and weighs 220 lbs. She is 5′3′ tall. I know that a lot of this is my fault. I did give her too much junk food when she was young. her biological father never had any thing to do with her. I made the mistake of trying to make her happy by letting her have what ever junk food she wanted. i am so sorry for my part in her now dangerous problem. can you please help me. i am 54 and disable. I don’t have a lot of money, however, I will spend every dime I have to help 11 year old, Larissa. I am trying to get her mother and Meme, Grandmother, involved. My wife is not in good health either. Larissa’s mother is working, going to school and also raising a second child 1 year old. Please, I know its my fault and I’m trying not to make excuses, however, I need your help to get her in some kind of program and eating the right foods. I am learning all I can about healthy foods. It is difficult to get her to change her eating habits, as our eating habits are bad also. We seem to be going around in circles. We are willing to come on your show, if you will get us some help, mostly for Larissa, however, for us as well. Dr. Phil, this is my most sincere plea, I have ever made to any Human Being. I know you are a Great Man and have the resources to help people in our situation. If you will help Larissa, I promise to you before God Almighty, that I will pay it forward as many times as humanly possible. I will dedicate my life to helping other children, if you will get me the help and training I need. I was a salesman and district manager for Pepsi-Co for 16 years. Before that I was with Tom’s snack foods for four years. That’s where the problem began with my children and trickled down to my grand daughter. Please help, IN JESUS NAME. I may be 54, however I feel God is leading me to help Children with this epidemic. I am serious about this challenge!!!!!!! some one, PLEASE, Get this message before Dr. Phil and I promise you will not regret it. Larissa and so many more Children deserve a second chance, that was brought on by us parents and Grandparents. I believe I have reached the stage of begging now and that’s O.K., its worth it if Dr. Phil sees this letter and response to me in a positive way. I know you get tens of thousands of letters, Please take this one serious, I AM !!!!!!! THANK YOU,READER,PERSON THAT GIVES THIS TO DR. PHIL AND MOST OF ALL YOU, DR. PHIL…………HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

48. Linda Copeland says:

Dr.Phil, Robin, I really need your help , weight is my issue, I’ve struggled all my life , I hurt my back years ago, and I’ve never been the same. I have a herniated disc, it’s gives me the blues, I smile amidst my tears. I fractured my shoulder and that has added to my pain and frustration . When you do not have money , you make do what you can. Dr. Phil, I watch you all the time, I really am asking a lot, but, please help me if you can. Please, this is my life I’m fighting for. Thank you