September 9th, 2012 by Dr. Phil

Dear Blog, A New Season of “Dr. Phil” Begins!

Dr. Phil and FamilyDear Blog,

Dr. Phil here. I know I’ve been a little neglectful with you. Please don’t take it personally. We’ve had some good times, and I hope to have more in the future. Maybe even by starting today. I will blame my absence on the summer heat, working on a new book and the fact that I’m still living in the Stone Age when it comes to technology. But I was assured that all I had to do was throw a few words onto a screen and someone would make sure it makes to people’s computers. So let’s give it a try.

I guess if you are reading this, then someone held up their side of the deal. I also want you to know that I’m not writing you today simply because Season 11 of the Dr. Phil show kicks off Tuesday September 11th. Did I say Tuesday instead of Monday? Yes, I did.  Why? Because for five years in a row, FIVE YEARS I TELL YOU, FIVE!!! the U.S. Open’s final weekend has been interrupted by rain, pushing the finals to Monday, which preempts my show. Maybe I’m a slow learner, or just an incurable optimist, because I thought no way could this happen five years in a row. Wrong again. I guess my show gets the rain delay because for some reason, the rain never seems to affect my daily tennis games in Los Angeles. I’d gladly give a few of my days next year to have a dry last weekend at the U.S. Open. Well … maybe one. Let’s not get carried away.

Where was I? Oh, yes … I said I wasn’t just writing this because Season 11 is kicking off next week.  Well … maybe I am. Either way, it’s good to be back. I hope everyone had a great summer! And Mr. Sun, how about taking it down a few degrees for September? We get it. You’re the king of the sky and you’re upset about the rover on Mars. But take it out on NASA, not USA. Now let me blog a hello and a little shameless self-promotion, because I have the best team in television and they are bringing in GREAT stories.

We come out of the gate strong on Tuesday with one of the most debated topics of the year: The shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin by neighborhood-watcher George Zimmerman. We hear an exclusive Zimmerman defense that stunned our live audience. On the show will be Mark and Sondra Osterman, who, according to them, are Zimmerman’s best friends. This premiere episode sets the bar pretty high, but I’m excited to say we sure do sustain.

TrayvonLater in the week, Friday, I even have the first in-depth sit-down with Trayvon’s parents, Tracy Martin and Sybrina Fulton, along with their older son, Jahvaris. They came to me seeking solace from this horrible tragedy and to learn how to move on with their lives. As a father of two boys, this episode hit me hard. While Robin and I watched this story unfold, we couldn’t help but remember all the times our boys would run down to the local 7-Eleven for candy and always return. It was a tough one for everyone to hear. This was about family.

Wednesday, I sit down with Anna Gristina, the 44-year-old mother who was arrested and accused of running a multimillion-dollar prostitution empire out of an Upper East Side apartment. She has been called the “New York Soccer Madam,” and she was anxious to tell me her side of the story, which included very little soccer. I asked the hard questions, and for the first time, you will hear what she says is the real deal. This show will make you wonder: What would you be willing to do to feed your children?

JaelThursday’s show is called “Top Model Intervention” and it was, without question, on the short list of most difficult interventions I have ever taken part in. I never knew how fast a model could run until I met this young lady. As you know, we air them all, the ones that work and the ones that crash and burn. We deal with the real world, which doesn’t have a soundtrack, laugh track or guaranteed happy ending by the end of the hour. Some work and some don’t, but this one has a twist  that you will NOT see coming.

The following week, we have Dina Lohan and Robert Blake. In “Robert Blake Revealed: The Man Behind the Murder Headlines,” I held nothing back with Blake, who in turn, wasn’t shy about his answers. He told me about that fateful night and his life since he was acquitted of his wife’s murder. As you know, he blew up on Piers Morgan and avoided answering any questions. I wasn’t as easy to get rid of, and he ultimately answered ALL of my questions except one — and that one had nothing to do with the murder.

I think that’s enough words for today. Now, I will try and see if these can really make it to my blog and to your computer. If they do, then I will try and post some thoughts more frequently. I’m not afraid of a little blogging here and there. Heck, I’ve become quite a little Twitter’er. Is that even a word? Who cares? You get it.  I hope you enjoy the first week of Season 11 as much as we are enjoying making the shows!

P.S. I will be on Jimmy Kimmel Tuesday night. Tune in, Jimmy is big fun and always goofing on me in some way! Fine. I will stop.

Dr. Phil

Tags: , , , , , , ,

70 Responses to “Dear Blog, A New Season of “Dr. Phil” Begins!”

1. Carolyn Wade says:

re Bearhart Oct 17 2012 More HAPPY SHOWS. I so-o-o agree. It’s always how to fix broken teenagers, spouces, money, in-laws, appearances, etc.. PLEASE a “contest” to find a Happy marriage in the U.S. Must be married at least 7 years, never been to counseling or therapy, kids or no kids, rich or poor, still happily married couple. I know there’s MILLIONS out there, BUT the one couple that found their “soul mate” – stuff like: where’d they meet, how did they KNOW this was the one, what did each of them do to make their marriage a success, how do they handle money, chores, in-laws, the mundane everyday sh**t we all live with?? Not the beautiful couple and Dr. Phil and Robin NOT allowed to enter — just real down-to-earth folks with insight & wisdom they don’t even know they possess. Now I know the whole staff is screaming NO and running for the hills; but a change of pace, enough “Bridezillas” let’s find some GOOD in this day and age. How about it???

2. Mislazsa says:

Bring back the subject.

People are who not that

In your blog
    “As you know, we air them all,
    the ones WHO not that work and the ones
    WHO not that crash and burn”

Regards
    Mislazsa

3. Kelly says:

Yesterday’s show about the young woman who’s picture to a boyfriend ended her hoped for dream can turn this into her platform. She is an example of our young people today…..doing what they are all doing.
    She can speak to them and use her voice to share the pitfalls of posting on the social media sites…. understanding and sharing how these actions can harm them in their future.
    She is beautiful, articulate and young…. she can reach the people of today…. and what looks like the end of her story….. can just be the beginning of of wonderful journey, using her voice to teach others.

4. Marjean Randall says:

Yesterdays show was really sad what people do can change someone’s life today’s show is so Scarry the surviver really needs help.

5. Christine J Koszela says:

LETTER TO DR PHIL 10-14-06.

I Don’t know where to start…HELP!!!!!!! My name is Christine and I have 6 Adult Children…I say Adult loosely…They are more like Hurtful, Disrespecting, Vile Name-Calling, F-Bombing, UnCompassionate, UnEmpathetic, Rude, Ignoring, Finger-Pointing, Chasting, Yelling, Confronting, Holding My Past Wrongs Over My Head for As Long As They Choose, Blaming, Heartbreaking…Shall I go on?? I am SO HURT, DEVASTATED, SAD and Heartbroken…More…I have Been called names such as: F’ing Loser Bitch Cunt, Monster, Evil, The Devil, Mean, Playing The “Victim”, Exhausting, Dramatic, Not Fit to Be With My Grandkids Without Supervision…Cannot Stay with Them and My Grandchildren, Have to Get Hotel…Just a few Days ago got confronted by Oldest Daughter with a 22 Point list about how I Have Messed up and then on the phone called A Bad Mother Then and STILL A BAD MOTHER…A Despicable , Horrible Mother… she IS THE OTHER KIDS MOTHER BECAUSE SHE IS NURTURING AND MOTHERING TO THEM BECAUSE I AM SUCH A BAD MOTHER!!
    You See, I am a PRODUCT OF MY ENVIRONMENT…I
    Became My Mothers Mom at the Age of 10 years! I WAS HER MOTHER, FRIEND, PROTECTOR, CONFIDANTE, AND CARETAKER!! My father WAS A VERY VIOLENT, MEAN, ABUSIVE MAN…HE BEAT MY MOM ALMOST EVERY SINGLE DAY OF HER LIFE!! I didn’t go anywhere because I didn’t want him to BEAT MY MOM!! He didn’t care if he Beat My Mom with me in the middle pushing him away!! In the Hispanic Culture, a 1st Child should be a Male Child…if not, they are NOT A MAN AND THEY ARE RIDICULED! I WAS NOT A MALE, DID I PAY FOR IT…WOW, I WAS NEVER PAID ATTENTION TO
    TALKED DOWN TO, IGNORED, ETC…MAKING ME TIMID AND SHY, SCARED AND NERVOUS, REALLY HAD NO CHILDHOOD, MAKING SURE MY MOM WAS OK! AS I GOT OLDER, I HAD TO WORK IF I WANTED NEW CLOTHES, WE ALWAYS SHOPPED AT SECOND-HAND STORE…in the Early ’70’s, My father made over $1500 a week!! I DESCRIBE HIM LIKE THIS:
    HE HAD TO HAVE THE BEST CAR ON THE BLOCK, BUT HIS FAMILY IS STARVING…Many a night we went to bed HUNGRY, and I NEVER SLEPT, listening for him to start a fight with her, ONLY TO RESULT IN A BEATING!! My Life was Harsh!! Wow, this letter could turn I to a book…I Guess I can say most of the Fill-In “IF” you call or “RESPOND”. 2 Divorces, 6 Kids , Single Mom, Working and Trying to do Better with Each. New Job! Working 3 jobs at times to keep Food and A Roof over my kids heads, AND not only giving them what they NEEDED, BUT through working Hard and 3 jobs , GVE THEM WHAT THEY WANTED!! They WERE PRIVILEGED KIDS …STILL ARE AS ADULT CHILDREN, ONCE HY STOP THE BLAMING, FINGER-POINTING, HURTING, HEARTBREAK!! I am Married again, God Gave me a Very Nice Man , I Thank God For Him Every Single Day!! We lived in the Beautiful City of Page, AZ…on Lake Powell…Tim received a Promotion with Peabody Coal and it involved a Transfer to Gillette, WY ..The “Energy Capital of the Nation” and I WAS “OUT OF MY COMFORT ZONE” and Being a Born and Raised AZGirl, WY IS TOO COLD FOR ME…my Mother was Terminally Ill and I brought her with me…(another story in there about father-UGH!!), BECAUSE I WAS TAKING CARE OF HER, 6 Months after we moved here, I fell on the ice and Received a Traumatic Brain Injury! That is when THE FUN BEGAN…GRRR!!
    I paid to Fly All My Kids and their Families in for Christmas…I FELL 3 days Before Christmas…(I HAD SO MUCH FUN PLANNED FOR MY GRANDCHILDREN$…I was taken to the Hospital , Tim didn’t know how to get there, I told him , however , don’t remember much more than what I was told! In the Hospital, I had Tests and had an Arachnoid Bleed in My Brain and they wanted to Fly me out…I protested…Kids were coming! A Dr watched me overnight in ICU and in Morning, he came in and was Surprised I was awake, he told me I SHOULD’VE STROKED OUT IN THE NIGHT ABD NOT BE ALIVE!! GEE THANKS DOC!! I talked him into letting me come home to Spend Time with My Family…I Spent 1 day with them and was taken back to the Hospital for Excruciating Pain, Uncontrollable Vomiting and was there through Our Christmas and 3 weeks more!! The Fall Changed My Personality, I Lost Both Long and Short Term Memory and SO MUCH MORE!!! Tough Year,
    Taking care of My Mom and trying to Heal…More Difficult than I thought…AND A YEAR LATER MY MOM PASSED IN MY ARMS…I had a Right Frontal Lobe Contusion and the Drs were not sure how long it would take to heal…From there, MY STORY ONLY GETS WORSE…BEING PECKED TO DEATH LIKE A CHICKEN BY ADULT CHILDREN BITH EMOTIONALLY AND FINANCIALLY, MOMS DEATH, 5 BRUSHES WITH DEATH MYSELF AND ONCE “GOING TO HEAVEN TO HUG MY MOM ONLY TO BE SENT BACK BY HER” (I KNOW I WAS GIVING UP), THE RECENT TEST FOR MY TBI WITH NO CHANGE FROM ORIGINAL TEST, EXTREME LONELINESS, SADNESS, GRIEVING MY MOM, NO FAMILY SUPPORT BUT TIM, NO PHONE CALLS EXCEPT FOR HELP WITH MONEY, ISOLATION, 4 NERVOUS BREAKDOWNS AFTER A BARRAGE OF HURTFUL PHONE TEXTS AN CALLS FROM CHILDREN AND I SNAPPED!! There is TONS MORE AND I AM REACHING OUT FOR SOME ADVICE , HELP AND MAYBE SOME OUTSIDE COMPASSION AND EMPATHY!! YES, I HAVE ACKNOWLEDGED AND OWNED MY WRONGS, ONLY TO BE HURT, IGNORED AND BLOCKED…I GUESS I AM “BEGGING FOR A RESPONSE ” AS I HAV BEEN TO DRS, THERAPISTS, REACHED OUT THE OLIVE BRABCH AND APOLOGIZED HUNDREDS OF TIMES FOR 7 LONG, LONELY, SAD, DIFFICULT, OVERWHELMINGLY DEVASTATING YEARS!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP HELP HELP ME!!! I HAVE NOWHERE ELSE TO GO TO OR DRAW FROM…I AM “SINKING FAST”. I TRY AND TRY AND TRY…TO NO AVAIL!!! I CRY ALL THE TIME, THOUGH ON MEDS , STILL I AM DISCOURAGED AND AM WRITING OUT OF HOPELESSNESS!! I AM NOT STUPID OR CRAZY OR ANYTHING LIKE THEY CHOOSE TO LABEL ME …I FELL AND HAVE A TBI…PLEASE HELP!!’ I AM BEGGING YOU TO JUST AS I HAVE BEEN BEGGING MY 6 ADULT KIDS FOR THE LAST 7 YEARS… The Stats as far as a Human isolated vs a Human being touched, hugged, cared for and talked to, ARE TRUE!! The One that gets attention grows and excels; the One who is isolated, “FAILS TO THRIVE”…this example is Me, as the Mother of 6 Adult Children, pitching me away like yesterday’s news!! Feeling Sorry for Myself, HECK YEAH, I don’t know what to do…I don’t know if I am strong enough to walk away…I HURT AND AM HEARTBROKEN…WHY DO THEY NOT UNDERSTAND THE NEED FOR COMPASSION AND UNDERSTANDING…instead of just turning their backs and walking away? IS THIS REALLY A MOTHERS WORTH?? :( :(

6. Pat Schippnick says:

Can you do a show on violence by women/wives against their husbands. It is not my story to tell, but one I have seen and it is under reported and often not believed.

I know if a woman who has tried/threatened to kill her husband multiple times. Choking him when he was asleep using a tshirt; threatening to run the car into a concrete highway barrier. Prior to that, hitting, pushing plus mental and emotional abuse. She has a public personality and a private personality.

I believe this is so under reported, just like rape.

I don’t know if he would come forward, but seeing the topic discussed could help him and other abused men.

7. noreen driver says:

A simple thank you

Dear Dr Phil and crew,
    I am simply writing to let you all know how GREAT you are. It truly is a life lesson , be it big or small, everytime I see your show. It is so important in this day and age to have a voice of reason and common sense and your show does it so well.
    luckily my family and I have been blessed in life, but you all just enhance it to greater heights.
    God bless you all

ps. if you ever venture over to our green isle of Eire, you would be most welcome here in my home of Adare in Limerick and I would surely buy you all a pint of Guiness cause you sure as hell deserve it………………….

8. okkie says:

Enjoy the shows

I have 1 question.

Is it possible to forgive yourself something nobody else will? However good I am with bettering my relationships ,reactions behavior I always mange to crash and burn as soon as I attempt addressing this.

9. Grace Newman says:

For Christine Koszela
    I usually never read a long blog but with yours I would say forgive yourself first and then look for good things. As of today start a new life and look at the sun and beautiful scenery and surroundings. You have made it and continue on and forgetting the long past … it is done and over. Ignore anymore harsh words you do not need that. Surround you with positive people and let the others wallow in their own misery for that is theirs not yours.
    If you must walk away and you did the best you could and accept it as such.
    Namaste
    Grace

10. Norma Moore says:

To Grace Newman: I just wanted you to know how touching your response to Christina was for me for several reasons but mainly because it is becoming rare for women to reach out to other women in a loving caring way instead of criticizing. I, too, am going thru some heartbreaking experiences to the point of giving up from just sheer weariness; I can’t tell you how many times I’ve reached out to other women only to be ignored, rejected, etc. Your response was to the point in a caring way that was best for her; although it is hard to find those positive people and to ignore harsh words, it is good advice. My husband and family have hurt me so that I must walk away and it is killing me, but I’ve done the best I could. I have looked for help so I wouldn’t be alone including Dr.Phil with no response so I am going to take your comments to heart as someone reaching back out to me. Thank you , bless you.

11. Marian Sweetland says:

Dear Christine J Koszela: I just found this blogging session of Dr. Phil and came across yours…and it screams for “help.” It has been about a month since you wrote and am wondering how you are doing? First of all, I’m amazed and saddened at how traumatic your life was growing up. I can’t begin to imagine your pain looking back…but I can certainly see the pain you are feeling now…..and definitely the pain from your past is blending in with the pain you are facing now with your 6 adult children. Clearly, I can only gather information from what you posted, and I’m just reaching out as a reader. But…I highly suggest you separate yourself from your adult children as soon as possible and begin a life for yourself with your new husband. You need to make a life for yourself, for your health’s sake…if not for the sake of your new relationship. I totally understand that possibly these adult children are not quality parental material for your grandchildren….but if safety for their little lives is an issue, it is time to call in the Children’s Aid. You, yourself will not be able to take these grandchildren and bring them up at this point without the interference of their parents and it sounds like things are sooooo out of control, the kids are of course suffering anyway. Just the environment alone you speak of….is creating another generation of children who will not have good parenting skills and right now they are suffering. THEY ARE SUFFERING! Please go to the authorities and get some help. You need to tend to your health issues and in time…….if you are able, you will be involved in the lives of these grandchildren from day to day. And quite possibly Children’s Aid would consider you as a placement for them. This household as it is, sounds like there is absolutely no control and this won’t get better without help. Even after your adult children have left your home, you will need some counselling to get through all the emotions your body must be screaming “help” with. Underneath all that screaming and yelling and name calling from your children are grandchildren…..needing to be placed in a loving environment. Get professional help for your grandchildren, focus on your new marriage and get your health looked after….physical and emotional. Your grandchildren need you alive. I am so sorry for all the sadness and grief you have endured in your life….and I’m not saying this without committment. I will pray for you. I have every ounce of belief in the power of prayer. If you can do anything at all, other than calling in Children’s Aid, seek a good church, a church that is committed to honour God and His children. Get some family counselling and seek direction. You need to be supported and encouraged by people who will love and care for you. :) P.S. If in fact, Children’s Aid is called, you might want to warn the Police Department, as there will be much anger to deal with. This all needs to be done with safety as a #1 priority. This is all a gut feeling, I’m no professional in this area, but I have 2 adult children living with me and one 17 year old. I look forwards to every morning I wake up to them…as does my husband. I may be only on the outside looking in…..but I know you deserve to be happy. Stop battling, and start taking charge….by seeking help. Take care my friend. Marian

12. patsy lane says:

DEAR DR. PHIL I am writing in because there was a show that you did called behind closed door s on sexual abuse. I personally was appalled at the mothers reaction to the pain that her daughter had endured at the hands of her step father. It really angered me that the mother seemed more interested in protecting her husband at the time than her own daughter.I dont understand how any mother can sit back and allow someone to hurt their children under any circumstances.I know about this from going through my own tragedy with my daughter was molested by her own father.But the difference in our situation is that when my daughter told me I believed my daughter.Me and my daughter did proceed to take him to court and he was prosecuted and now is in prison for one hundred and ten years.He will never be able to hurt anyone again.

13. Stacey says:

I’ve been watching shows about abuse lately and saw robin’s new program… My husband does NOT physically hit me or girls but yells, throws things and is very critical. My question : he is bipolar and does take meds, is his behavior normal w his illness and is it something I should just forget bc he can’t help it. It’s starting to affect my girls (12 yr old says most of time she hates him and he’s an jerk or not nice to me) I try to talk to him but he doesn’t see it and says stuff like, I’m not yelling, I can get a lot louder. Or blames how he acts on everything else. I would never want to be on tv but, can relate a lot to some of those shows and would like some guidance here.

14. Mary Farrell says:

Dear Robin, (and Dr.Phil)
    Wonderful App for the phone! I think you could advertise it a bit more. Maybe each show- or every other show- just a quick bleep about feeling afraid – maybe just to say to go to website if you ever felt scared. This app would be great for the teens also- when they need a parent to get them out of a situation. (my kids and I have a word- monkey- if they say it- I come and get them-) O.k. that’s my two cents! Great work Robin! (and Dr. Phil)

15. Linda Goodswin says:

Dear Dr Phil I live in the U.K i love watching your shows on youtube i wanted to tell you my story i have seen a lot of your shows about abuse so i wanted to share this i am hoping it will help someone. Keep up the good shows you and Robin are the best.

I was sexuly abused by my step-dad it went on for 10 years it started when i was 6 he use to come in my bedroom at night and get in bed with me, and he use to make me go in his bed or he would lock me in the bathroom and rape me. my mother and him never slep together as my mum bedroom was down stairs, i cryed every night for her to come and stop him but she never did. I can remember when i was 12 my mother walked in on my father touching me she called him all the names under the sun but by the next day it was like it never happend. it carried on for 5 more years when i was 16 i fell prgnent by my dad i missed carried the baby i told the hospital it was inposable for me to be and they took that as red, but i think my dad new. when i left home a good friend of mine now there was something wrong and he got it out of me what was going on he reported it but it was my word agence my father and my mother would not back me up. i found out at that time he had raped my brothers and sister but they did not want to press charges so i droped it in the end. I have got a lot of anger towords my family and my mother to. i have had 3 brakedowns where i have been put in hospital for it. sometimes i get on ok with my mother and brother but we fall out a lot we are not talking at the moment i think my mum did not want to believe what went on because she only believed me when my sister and brothers told them it was true and he did the same to all of them . i live in the uk and i love to watch Dr Phil he is such a good man and gives good advice so i wanted to tell my story i am married with 2 grown up children and i am getting on with my life the best i can but it has been very hard sometimes. I won’t ever forget it but i am moving on with my life. My dad took 45 years of my life and i won’t let him take the rest of my life.

16. Cathy says:

Dr. Phil, I have an adult daughter who is 31, has a 2 year old daughter, and has severe anger and alcohol issues. It has gotten worse in the last few years and at this point, refuses all contact with me. I (nor the baby’s father) know where she lives with the 2 year old or what the conditions are (all we know is that she lives with a guy 15 years older who is an enabler). The baby’s father has to pick his daughter up in a parking lot so my daughter controls the situation. I was able to see my granddaughter up until about 6 weeks ago, but now my daughter no longer answers texts, email, voicemails from me. My impression is that she feels she will lose the control she has over the situation if I am involved. It has been me that has brought issues to the baby’s father’s attention such as past violent rage and possible bi-polar issues she refuses to deal with. Her coping mechanism is alcohol. She knows I know her past and all the dysfunction, lying, manipulation, and control she uses to push people away. Much of the time it is to create a public scene or trash everything in the house to get those who love her, want to help her, care about her to leave her alone. It is a deeply ingrained pattern. I am so very worried about the situation she has my granddaughter living in and need help dealing with this ASAP. Thank you.

17. Pam Engel says:

This is the first time I have written you (2/19/14). I just want to state, I was surprised and disappointed at your one sided stance that you took against the woman who gave up her home and everything to save her daughter. And how can you make that judgement? The daughter did have psychologist’s reports of abuse that the mother brought into you.. Did you really check everything? After all this woman came to YOU for help, running from the law. That took a lot of courage! The way you treated her with such a bad attitude, I can’t believe she stayed in such good composure.
    I hope you have a follow up to see how her ex-husband did on his lie detector test.

18. Thank you, Dr. Phil for calling a spade a spade when it comes to molesters and abusers. Everytime you do, it lifts from my shoulders years of shame and guilt. This must be the same way countless other people who have been abused must feel when they hear your declaration. What you are teaching is so important for the public and more importantly the survivors to hear. You and Robin do so very much good. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

19. Leatha says:

I LOVE YOUR SHOW SO MUCH.

20. Leatha says: